PDA

View Full Version : Giro de Italia/Cinque Terra

thwart
05-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Just finished the arrangements to make it over to Italy to see our daughter, who is an exchange student there. Haven't seen her for 9 months! At any rate, we'll be in the Cinque Terra area next Friday, which is when that area is a part of the 12th stage in the Giro. :banana:

As a newcomer to bike races, does anybody have any recommendations for spectating at one of these events? In the city, or shall we hike out in the country to actually see things close-up?

Or for that matter, any wisdom for someone who has never been to Italia, or the Cinque Terra?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jwb96
05-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Make sure to try the pesto.

Sorry, been to Cinque Terre but not while there were races (although we saw the markings on the road - cool!). The roads in and out of Vernazza are so narrow and twisty, if the stage is anywhere near there you'll need to get up there early, I'd imagine, to stake out your territory.

Anyway, I know that was of no help, but geesh, I'm jealous. Enjoy!

Jim

Headwinds
05-14-2006, 01:38 AM
As a newcomer to bike races, does anybody have any recommendations for spectating at one of these events? In the city, or shall we hike out in the country to actually see things close-up?

Or for that matter, any wisdom for someone who has never been to Italia, or the Cinque Terra?

It's been a while since I visited the Cinque Terre region of Italy. All I remember was that you almost had to get on a train to reach most seaside villages because the roads are narrow and steep. In any case, I have worked on a couple of these big races and I have also been an spectator. So my tips to you are these:

1) I think the race itself goes by too fast if you decide to watch it at a specific point. So unless you plan to ride part of that route, don't waste your time standing in one place for hours, just to see the riders go by in less than one minute!

If you can, try to move to sereval spots and make the best of this. Take a small bottle of wine and some cheese and enjoy the scenery and the people, before the madness of the race gets near you. The roads are closed ahead of the race for a couple of hours and only bike traffic is allowed, so plan ahead. A GPS or a scooter is a good thing to have if you want to move quickly from one place to another. But this can be a problem when following mountain stages, since you will find there is only one road up and one down. But on flat stages you will find many side roads that you can take and follow the race without getting caught or blocked by the race caravan.

2) I believe the best thing to do other than watch the race go by you, is to sit at a bar and watch it with the locals either at the start of the stage or at the end. However, remember that in Europe, bike races are covered on TV from start to end, not one or two hours, as in the US. So you will have time to see the start, have lunch, look around and come back to see more of the race!

3) Advantages and disadvantages of watching start and ends of a stage:

Start of stage: you get to see all the bikes, equipment, team personnel and riders. I think you can mingle with the race mechanics and sometimes with the riders (not the big stars). You also may get to see some of the pre-race events which are normally held hours before the stage start; these events always bring former stars... Great time to get autographs if you are into that. Everyone is in a good mood.... Tip: the mechanics love to get bribed in exchange for a little favor. For instance, in exchange for a bottle of wine or something of that sort, they will let you see or touch "the stuff" up close. Don't be surprised if you get to bump shoulders with Basso or Simoni! I actually got a bunch of authographs for friends this way from Indurain, Lemond, etc.

End of stage: again, you get to see all the bikes, equipment and team personnel and riders. But this time around don't expect too many smiles! Everyone is tired and there are normally no post race events other than the bothersome interviews. The good thing about watching the end of the stage is that you get to see up close who won the stage and the jersey mini-ceremony. If you are lucky, you may get some spray of champagne... But actually, what I enjoyed the most about the race ends is to see the mechanics get to work on the equipment. It is really cool to see the wrenches go at it and take the bikes apart and clean them. If you can find the race leader's team truck, get your camera ready and snap some pictures of the mechanics working on the race leader's bike. You will see how meticulous these guys get. I think, for obvious reasons, the guys working on the leader's team are in a better mood than the rest of the race entourage. Again, a little bribe will get you to have one of them take a picture of you next to say, Basso's or Savodelli's bike!

Good luck and have fun!

thwart
05-14-2006, 08:51 AM
I appreciate the time and trouble it took to send that message. Very, very useful information.

And a lovely photo.

Thanks!!

PS Great Twain quote!