PDA

View Full Version : Nove??

Drew
05-13-2006, 03:34 PM
I currently ride a custome steel bike with carbon fork and seat stays. It is a bit heavy at 21 lbs but is very smooth and a great "century" bike. I am starting to do some road racing and hill climbs and am looking to build the right bike for this and to compliment my current bike. The Nove sees like the bike for me. Am I wrong? I am not a great descender and want something that inspires confidence on the downhills. I produce a lot of power and want a frame that will translate it well in sprints and also climbs well. I am also confused about what the sloping geometry does for the bike. I am wondering what to ask for in terms of tube stiffness. Is it enough to express all this to Serotta and let them figure it out? I weigh 190 and am 6'. I have been fitted and am close to a stock 58. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

davids
05-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Sounds like it might be an excellent choice for you. I'm very happy with mine, and it meets a number of your criteria - smooth, comfortable, great power transmittal, and stable.

Search on my name and "Nove" for lots more detailed comments.

You're on the right track. But a lot of other bikes could also address your desires. Check out (at a minimum) other Serottas. They share a lot of common traits, but each has its own personality.

Good luck!

Skrawny
05-14-2006, 10:28 AM
There has also been a lot of talk about sloping geometry on this board.
I am in no way even close to being one of the fit gurus, but from what I have read (here) the most benefit of sloping geo is for those who happen to have relatively short legs for their torso. As for performance difference with sloping geometry, it is arguable if there is any (and has been argued here). As for aesthetics; the classicists don't like it, those raised on mt. bikes which all have sloping geometry are more used to it.
-s

Serotta PETE
05-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Go to a fitter you respect. (Mr SMILEY is a good one and so is Mike from CYCLESPORT... :cool: yes I am shameless.)

Depending on where you live, there are other great fitters also.

As to material - - "it is the legs, fit, geometry made to your requirements.

The CDA is a great bike, as well as the LEGEND, Concurs, etc....

PETE

Needs Help
05-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I am starting to do some road racing and hill climbs and am looking to build the right bike for this and to compliment my current bike. The Nove sees like the bike for me. Am I wrong?
Just remember that any bike with overlapped tubing, as with carbon-ti overlap, is not necessarily going to be lighter than, say, an all ti bike. While the carbon tubes may be lighter than ti tubes, the overlap where the different materials are joined will negate any weight savings.

Also, the seat stays on the Nove do not pivot as they do on the Legend and Ottrott. Serotta's position in the past was that there is no performance based reason to have carbon in the rear of a bike--a position they modified when they invented the ST pivoting carbon seat stay. However, the Nove does not have a pivoting carbon seat stay. So, realize that the carbon rear of the Nove is for looks only.

Finally, most people would not recommend racing an expensive bike because of the risk of crashing it.

I am also confused about what the sloping geometry does for the bike.
It allows people to raise the handle bars higher while still being able to straddle the top tube.

stevep
05-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Finally, most people would not recommend racing an expensive bike because of the risk of crash

nah, a lot of people race nice top end bikes. they very infrequently are damaged in crashes...other that a few dings...that only give a bike character.
get it and race it atmo
dont worry about it
more likely to damage it when some idiot in a car cuts you off just riding

Serotta PETE
05-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Also the owners club gives you an insurance policy that the repair will never be more than a certain $$. This would be worth while considering, especially for the NOVE or OTTROTT. (although I have it on my Legend ST)

PETE