PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pink Floyd

KJMUNC
09-08-2015, 09:26 PM
I've had a bunch of "headphone time" over the last few weeks, through a combination of a lot of late nights working and a bunch of long drives. For some reason I chose to listen to Pink Floyd and then proceeded to listen to pretty much every album, cover to cover (sad that doesn't hold the same meaning any more!), and I've settled on a few realizations:

1. I'm a Gilmour-Floyd fan, not a Waters-Floyd fan. Yes I know Roger wrote most of the post Syd lyrics, but the Gilmour-sung songs are the ones I love.

2. Dark Side of The Moon is one of (if not the) greatest albums ever recorded. I've heard it many times before, but for some reason I can't stop listening to it....as a continuous listening experience it is unparalleled.

3. Spotify is the best $100 I'll spend all year. All the albums plus tons of live cuts...stuff I've never owned or heard before.

4. They just don't make music like that anymore. If there was one band I wish I could go back and see in their prime, it would be them, followed very, very closely by Zeppelin.

Hoping I can find a way to see Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl next March. I was born too late to see the real deal in the 70's and never had a desire to see their other iterations. I hear he's playing all the good stuff on this go-round, which might be his last.

That is all.....just felt like sharing some music related random thoughts.

climbgdh
09-08-2015, 09:37 PM
^ This......

Agreed on all accounts although I might flip Zeppelin for Floyd.

eddief
09-08-2015, 09:37 PM
in the last 2 days. The Black Keys guitarist knows what he's doing. Lots o good music. Love the Pink Floyd too.

93legendti
09-08-2015, 09:38 PM
I like Gilmour. Waters, no thanks. Gilmour played on Pete Townsend's Give Blood - love that song.

I saw Zep in '77. They played for almost 3 hours, no warmup band. I can still recall the opening chords of Kashmir, the encore, as white lights lit up the Silverdome.

Tickdoc
09-08-2015, 09:39 PM
I've had a bunch of "headphone time" over the last few weeks, through a combination of a lot of late nights working and a bunch of long drives. For some reason I chose to listen to Pink Floyd and then proceeded to listen to pretty much every album, cover to cover (sad that doesn't hold the same meaning any more!), and I've settled on a few realizations:

1. I'm a Gilmour-Floyd fan, not a Waters-Floyd fan. Yes I know Roger wrote most of the post Syd lyrics, but the Gilmour-sung songs are the ones I love.

2. Dark Side of The Moon is one of (if not the) greatest albums ever recorded. I've heard it many times before, but for some reason I can't stop listening to it....as a continuous listening experience it is unparalleled.

3. Spotify is the best $100 I'll spend all year. All the albums plus tons of live cuts...stuff I've never owned or heard before.

4. They just don't make music like that anymore. If there was one band I wish I could go back and see in their prime, it would be them, followed very, very closely by Zeppelin.

Hoping I can find a way to see Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl next March. I was born too late to see the real deal in the 70's and never had a desire to see their other iterations. I hear he's playing all the good stuff on this go-round, which might be his last.

Couldn't agree more. Awesome stuff and well mastered sound, especially when it comes off an lp.

When or if you've had enough, check out dub side of the moon. It's a nice chill reggae interpretation of the album and is a favorite of mine lately. And I don't even smoke.

velomonkey
09-08-2015, 09:46 PM

You had me to this . . . . please, please, I beg of you . . . you didn't listen to Dark Side of the Moon on Spotify. :no::no::no::no:

Spotify is low quality sound compression. It's made for ear buds and the simple 3 cord melodies of today. Not for the audio engineering, stereo, complex sound that went into Dark Side of the Moon - the pinnacle of good consumer stereo equipment when artists had to make an "album" and listeners had to actually "listen" to an album and not have a song as background noise in ear bunds . . . or worse yet, playing over their laptop.

Let me give this you in bike terms . . you have a totally custom frame - say a Zanc, a firefly, a moots, a hampsten, a kirk . . . you outfitted it with Campy Super Record . . . then you put a pair of ksyrium elite wheels and gator skin tires and pumped them up to 135psi. :crap::crap::crap::crap:

Get a CD version of the Dark Side of the Moon, get good headphones (not Bose). It will be something altogether different. If you want to open up a can of Matik glue, that's an option, too.

KJMUNC
09-08-2015, 10:21 PM
You had me to this . . . . please, please, I beg of you . . . you didn't listen to Dark Side of the Moon on Spotify. :no::no::no::no:

Spotify is low quality sound compression. It's made for ear buds and the simple 3 cord melodies of today. Not for the audio engineering, stereo, complex sound that went into Dark Side of the Moon - the pinnacle of good consumer stereo equipment when artists had to make an "album" and listeners had to actually "listen" to an album and not have a song as background noise in ear bunds . . . or worse yet, playing over their laptop.

Let me give this you in bike terms . . you have a totally custom frame - say a Zanc, a firefly, a moots, a hampsten, a kirk . . . you outfitted it with Campy Super Record . . . then you put a pair of ksyrium elite wheels and gator skin tires and pumped them up to 135psi. :crap::crap::crap::crap:

Get a CD version of the Dark Side of the Moon, get good headphones (not Bose). It will be something altogether different. If you want to open up a can of Matik glue, that's an option, too.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.....

Yes, primarily on Spotify, some on digital download, just out of sheer convenience since virtually all of the listening has been away from home. That said, at least I'm using nice Shure headphones and not crappy iphone jacks. I'll take you up on the advice though. Not sure I've ever listened to it completely on vinyl.

gary135r
09-08-2015, 10:27 PM

SACD "Dark Side of the Moon" listen

Aaron O
09-08-2015, 10:27 PM
I would rather stick my appendages one by one into an electric pencil sharpener than listen to that droning, over wrought "concept" rock. Even the few listenable tracks go on for far too long and get monotonous half way through.

Just an opinion, it's all subjective. :hello:

gary135r
09-08-2015, 10:34 PM
I would rather stick my appendages one by one into an electric pencil sharpener than listen to that droning, over wrought "concept" rock. Even the few listenable tracks go on for far too long and get monotonous half way through.

That's the problem with music, politics, etc... when one person make an opinion of ones likes, and then others respond in kind, here comes the_____ sucks/not cool/too left/too right/too pro/too against. Predictable outcome

Ciavete
09-08-2015, 10:35 PM
This looks to have possibilities as a Spotify alternative:https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us.

I once had a nice music listening set-up in a loft with super acoustics. An REL box tuned perfectly with my floor speakers. I sat in my lone chair facing the speakers and waited. The first Dark Side track, "Speak to Me," snuck up on me with a bass sound imagery the likes of which I had never heard before or since on any track of music. I was startled. Will never forget the experience.

I concur with the other voices here: Listen to the good stuff, at least from time to time.

Geeheeb
09-08-2015, 10:36 PM
I like english bikes, I like some PF, but not really past Meddle.

If you like italian bikes check out some of their prog rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iIK3fIlUuw

gary135r
09-08-2015, 10:37 PM
I concur with the other voices here: Listen to the good stuff.
And...that would be what? Don't want to seem uncool

Geeheeb
09-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Also, it may be a bit too nerdy, but I run Plex at home on a debian server, which is a pretty handy-dandy media server. I can stream my music to my phone (or anything else) really easily, and I set the bitrate too. Server is free, apps might have a one-time cost. https://plex.tv/

Ciavete
09-08-2015, 10:39 PM
And...that would be what? Don't want to seem uncool

Uncompressed music.

Geeheeb
09-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Uncompressed music.

I'm sure neil young is gonna be blowing out pono players any minute...

gary135r
09-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Also, it may be a bit too nerdy, but I run Plex at home on a debian server, which is a pretty handy-dandy media server. I can stream my music to my phone (or anything else) really easily, and I set the bitrate too. Server is free, apps might have a one-time cost. https://plex.tv/
Careful, those private servers can get you in trouble :no:

Ciavete
09-08-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm sure neil young is gonna be blowing out pono players any minute...

Yeah what happened to those? A total bust? What did he do wrong? Seems a shame... maybe for another thread.

Geeheeb
09-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Pono was so bad on so many fronts, doesn't even deserve a thread. And yes, while plex is illegal, its about as illegal as an idaho stop at a deserted intersection.

Back to Pink Floyd, anyone have any PF covers they like? This is my favorite by far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvXaLZZ6M3M

gary135r
09-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Didn't the The Flaming Lips do a decent live cover?

Geeheeb
09-08-2015, 10:58 PM
I know they did a companion album for dsotm, meant to be played at the same time.

fuzzalow
09-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Yes to both Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Only Gilmour-based Floyd for me for the most part which means as Waters dominated more artistically as on The Wall I found it more self-pitying and angst ridden than I was readily up for. And as a guitar player I can only have boundless admiration for Gilmour's playing - how simple and perfectly to the point. The solo on "Mother" from Wall, 30 seconds long and as concise as it needed to be.

I saw Zep 3 times, once in '75 and twice in '77. By '77 Page was too uneven that it was hinting at the end - too much of too much had its price.

I watched Zep play Kashmir in the '75 Physical Graffiti tour by walking from the Red seats that I had to the empty seats behind Bonzo and watched him play - Zep didn't sell seats behind stage and MSG security didn't patrol empty seats behind stage. So I saw Kashmir played for the first time to the beat and kickdrum footwork of Bonzo - I can still hear the song today and see the footwork. Zep in their prime was thunderous.

P.S. I did a write-up on Jimmy Page after seeing him speak at the 92ndStreetY. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158324

brewsmith
09-08-2015, 11:08 PM
+1 for spotify being the deal of the century!

gary135r
09-08-2015, 11:13 PM
I saw Zep 3 times, once in '75 and twice in '77. By '77 Page was too uneven that it was hinting at the end - too much of too much had its price.

I watched Zep play Kashmir in the '75 Physical Graffiti tour by walking from the Red seats that I had to the empty seats behind Bonzo and watched him play - Zep didn't sell seats behind stage and MSG security didn't patrol empty seats behind stage. So I saw Kashmir played for the first time to the beat and kickdrum footwork of Bonzo - I can still hear the song today and see the footwork. Zep in their prime was thunderous.

P.S. I did a write-up on Jimmy Page after seeing him speak at the 92ndStreetY. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158324
Blew a chance back then to see them in Providence. Saw some good show there non the less

downtube
09-08-2015, 11:36 PM
I have seen Pink Floyd 8 times since 1972. The shows were always fantastic. If you get a chance you should go, it really is a great evening. Lot's of great music and albums and my favorite for the last 40 years has been Wish You Were Here. Please do yourself a favor and listen to this album (LP) on a killer stereo / turntable setup. You will never be the same again.

KJMUNC
09-08-2015, 11:37 PM
I once had a nice music listening set-up in a loft with super acoustics. An REL box tuned perfectly with my floor speakers. I sat in my lone chair facing the speakers and waited. The first Dark Side track, "Speak to Me," snuck up on me with a bass sound imagery the likes of which I had never heard before or since on any track of music. I was startled. Will never forget the experience.

This is all I envision when I read your post above. I'd kill to have such a setup.....someday.

Ciavete
09-08-2015, 11:59 PM
This is all I envision when I read your post above. I'd kill to have such a setup.....someday.

Good find!

Yeah I miss it. I've been grateful for the convenience of Spotify, being introduced to new stuff by Pandora, and now will check out Tidal. But it is sure nice to slow down, sit and listen when we get the chance. I knew and still know very little about PF, but that sound. Wow. Somebody went to some trouble to create that.

Likes2ridefar
09-09-2015, 06:14 AM
The Wall was probably the first high quality album I actually listened to. My uncle forced it upon me when I was little while trapped in his car. I eventually came to love it. And most of their other music as well.

The first time I heard DSotM on my attempt at an audiophile system was a moving experience.

I agree about the quality to some degree but I think most people would have a tough time distinguishing the difference in a blind test between 192+ and lossless music.

My friend and I tried a blind test 320kbps vs HDCD on very revealing headphones as well as high end loudspeakers on some fancy british equipment, and it was pretty clear it was a lucky choice when we got one right.

tommyrod74
09-09-2015, 06:58 AM
SACD "Dark Side of the Moon" listen

This - with a good 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. The surround mix is based on the original quadrophonic mix (by the same engineer, Alan Parsons) and is a cool interpretation of the original stereo version you love.

The SACD contains a remastered stereo mix as well that is also top notch.

Dave B
09-09-2015, 07:14 AM
great thread. I greww up in a house where music especially good music wasn't played. My mom I guess didn't ge tinto it for some reason. I didn't get into it u8ntril maybe 6th grade and that was when Michael Jackson was big so mid to late eighties. Didn't discover Zepplin or Floyd until late 80's when I was in high school. That was only because my friends finally got me to get high. Regardless of how you feel about pot, I can say it was the coolest most unique begining to these bands as I could imagine. I spemnt the next several years stuck on these bands, discovering bands like the Doors and then I got stuck on grunge as I went to a liberal arts college in Michigan and they were all rich hippies...if you can have that type of oxymoron.

I still love the Wall and will never forget the experience of watching the wiozard of oz while playing the dark side of the moon. Just a fun experience and while I am sure that it was just a coincidence they matched up, it is still one of my favorite moments in music.

man reliving good times...thanks I needed that today.

93legendti
09-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Govt Mule does Pink Floyd:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6397730/govt-mule-premiere-cover-pink-floyd-time-live-dark-side-20-anniversary-exclusive

rugbysecondrow
09-09-2015, 08:09 AM
It is funny how camps of people develop:

Campy vs. Shimano

Coke vs. Pepsi

The Highlander vs. Conan the Barbarian

Pink Floyd vs. Rush

I really enjoy Pink Floyd, ever since I first heard them, it clicked. Dark Side is one of the greatest albums ever, meant to be played front to back. The Wall is similar, but that is a time commitment it is hard to make now, but was easier when I was younger, and baked, chilling in the basement.

It is music meant to be played, over and over and over, and I gather something new about it each time. It is music I have come to at different phases in life, and seems both familiar and knew each time. Like a great movie, where funny stuff still pops out at you the 50th time you watch it. It is not always obvious, which is a good thing.

I too enjoy Zep. I skipped my high school prom to see Page/Plant in 1995 in St. Louis. Never regretted that decision, great show.

Cheers

Paul

redir
09-09-2015, 08:09 AM
I've been a Floyd fan from when I was a child and my older brother would bring home records to play. I definitely wore out a copy of Dark Side of the Moon on the old record player.

I liked the whole band. there would not have been a Pink Floyd if not for Waters. He very well may have been a total arse hole but there would be no PF without him.

It was actually Syd Barret that got me into playing guitar in the first place. When I was a young wandering soul living with a bunch of hippies that listened to nothing but the Greatful Dead I heard down the hall this amazing acoustic guitar and expressive voice and knew that is how I wanted to play the guitar.

25 years later and I just bought a new guitar effects pedal called a Digitech Whammy because David Gilmore uses one :)

paredown
09-09-2015, 08:16 AM
A few years ago, I had to road trip by myself--flew out and facing a long drive back, I hit the local Wal-Mart to pick up some cheap (and long) CDs.

One that got played a lot was PF greatest hits.

At a certain age, it seems like you don't find the time to listen to music--and it was great to be reminded of how great they were..

texbike
09-09-2015, 08:33 AM
What a great thread! I wasn't ever a HUGE fan of Pink Floyd, but did appreciate their contributions, and yes, Dark Side is probably one of the best albums of all time. This is the 1st Pink Floyd song that I was exposed to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tfUaBezFo

From that era, I was more a fan of Zepplin, Cream, The Doors, Blind Faith, The Allman Brothers, Hendrix, CSNY, etc.

I found this tape over the weekend in a box of old stuff and it brought back some great memories. I'm surprised that it's survived in this condition given the mileage on it and the number of times it's been played. I played several of the songs for my kids. They actually listened for a bit. Maybe there is hope... :)

Texbike

93legendti
09-09-2015, 08:45 AM
What a great thread! I wasn't ever a HUGE fan of Pink Floyd, but did appreciate their contributions, and yes, Dark Side is probably one of the best albums of all time. This is the 1st Pink Floyd song that I was exposed to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1tfUaBezFo

From that era, I was more a fan of Zepplin, Cream, The Doors, Blind Faith, The Allman Brothers, Hendrix, CSNY, etc.

I found this tape over the weekend in a box of old stuff and it brought back some great memories. I'm surprised that it's survived in this condition given the mileage on it and the number of times it's been played. I played several of the songs for my kids. They actually listened for a bit. Maybe there is hope... :)

Texbike
Look at the songs on that side of the cassette...I take it with pride that my kids will tell me when we get in the car:" we haven't heard the Allman Brothers in a while, can you put some on?", my daughter humming the ascending break in Achilles Last Stand, or singing along to Kashmir...

rugbysecondrow
09-09-2015, 08:47 AM
It is posts like these which cause me to spend more money and for my wife to say, "Now, what do we need ______ for?

:beer:

velomonkey
09-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Jeez, I'm on a business trip to Vegas and you all still have me replying (good stuff for sure)

I was more into punk/hardcore and that stuff was audio engineered on a lower level. However, I was always kind of a audio dork like I am a bike dork and I appreciate good music and appreciate well engineered recordings. My brother inlaw is an director of an audio engineer program.

Spotify for certain kills Floyd. Good headphones will close the gap, but hearing this stuff is like knowing good wine - some people can pick out the tannins, the fruit, the smoke, the terra firma - others just tape sour grape juice. Same with music and a good system.

tidal was by far the best streaming service and I was on it, but once Jay Z and them took over I dropped it. Even this weekend I listened to Iron Maiden number of the Beast in my car over apple music - you can't hear Steve Harris and his bass - went home and cranked it lossless . . . . so good.

Thread on a stereo system from last winter (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163943)

There was a good 30 years of great audio recordings - damn shame to do that stuff on earbuds and spotify.

AJM100
09-09-2015, 09:27 AM
kinda like a Campy v. Shimano comparison . . .

true believers in each camp . . .

I like the Final Cut . . .

texbike
09-09-2015, 09:41 AM
I take it with pride that my kids will tell me when we get in the car:" we haven't heard the Allman Brothers in a while, can you put some on?", my daughter humming the ascending break in Achilles Last Stand, or singing along to Kashmir...

That's fantastic! Mine aren't quite there yet. They're still fans of the likes of Taylor Swift and Maroon 5. However, I did catch my daughter singing along to the chorus of "It's My Life" in the car over the weekend. Catchy little tune... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUI-NRDflU

Texbike

Bostic
09-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Even this weekend I listened to Iron Maiden number of the Beast in my car over apple music - you can't hear Steve Harris and his bass - went home and cranked it lossless . . . . so good.

Total Eclipse. The hidden gem on that album. Also the inspiration for my most successful bands name.

I never got into Pink Floyd all that much. My close friend was way into them and always had an album playing when I would go over to his house.

beeatnik
09-09-2015, 09:55 AM

I like your that's how I used to feel style

For me, Dark Side of the Moon was one of the Freshman 10 (the 10 CDs every first year student owned) and the only one I didn't understand. I didn't get how a hippie from Humboldt, a Central American girl from South Central and a Chinese kid from Taiwan could all dig this album. I only thought of the famous Johnny Rotten Pink Floyd t-shirt with "I hate" scrawled above PF. So, I was able to run from this album for years. Then I bought the SACD release for a former girlfriend. Listened to that sucker with high end headphones. Majestic and the perfect album for a music snob just diving into the freakiest of freaky 70s krautrock and fusion.

Scuzzer
09-09-2015, 10:06 AM
That's fantastic! Mine aren't quite there yet.

Mine aren't either. I play plenty of Floyd for them but they never know who the band is, my 15yo daughter does like some of the songs on Obscured by Clouds though. Unfortunately they both prefer Moon8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Yg0GAX5vw) to real Floyd.

I was pleasantly surprised that both my son and daughter recognized that the latest Under Armour commercial used Knee 1 by Philip Glass. Marginal gains...

93legendti
09-09-2015, 10:13 AM
That's fantastic! Mine aren't quite there yet. They're still fans of the likes of Taylor Swift and Maroon 5. However, I did catch my daughter singing along to the chorus of "It's My Life" in the car over the weekend. Catchy little tune... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUI-NRDflU

Texbike

Always fun when they sing along to a song you like.

Started them young, always played what I liked and I am always thrilled/shocked when my daughter starts singing along to a 70's tune that I didn't even know she had heard- could have been The Cars- It's All I can Do...she loves Bad Co., Deep Purple, Seals and Croft, as well The Who, early Heart, Montrose, ABB, Zep,

She likes a maroon 5 but it won't be played in my car.

Bob Ross
09-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Dark Side of The Moon is one of (if not the) greatest albums ever recorded. I've heard it many times before, but for some reason I can't stop listening to it....as a continuous listening experience it is unparalleled.

While I don't disagree that DSOTM is one of the greatest (rock) albums ever recorded, I also think it came after Pink Floyd's creative apex; it was the first album in Pink Floyd's steady decline from imaginative trippy psychedelic neo-prog band to cliched, soporific, stoner sludge-rock poster boys. If they'd all died in a fiery plane crash after DSOTM, or just called it quits and gone their seperate ways before Animals or Wish You Were Here or all the other mopey droney AOR they churned out for the next 40-some-odd years, their legacy would be intact as perhaps the band most worthy of inheriting The Beatles' mantle. Instead, their songs get sung by drunk boys from Long Island in high school parking lots before football practice.

But yeah, DSOTM demands -- and rewards -- hi-rez audio.

And as long as we're keeping score: I saw Led Zeppelin at MSG in 1977. Fun show, but yeah, they were definitely sloppier than their records ever even hinted that they were capable of being.

Shoeman
09-09-2015, 11:21 AM
I saw them both. Pink Floyd in 1976 at Cleveland Municipal Stadium during the Animals Tour with 90,000 of my Stoned Friends. Needless to say the best ever concert.They opened with the entire Animals album complete with the Flying Animals. Then a 30 minute interval they came back with the entire Wish You Were Here album complete with visual effects. The encore was Money with all of this music played in Quadraphonic, it was Amazing. Saw Zep also in Cleveland at the arena back then 1975 I think, right as Physical Graffiti came out. I must admit they also sounded great onstage, pretty much like the albums especially Graffiti. I find that at the time considering the technology they both sounded so good Live.

SlackMan
09-09-2015, 12:50 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697906778&stc=1&d=1441805608

Texbike, that's the weirdest looking MP3 player. Is it new?:D

Not directed at Texbike: Even if one doesn't like Pink Floyd (which I do), it seems not debatable to me that they were one of the most creative bands of their time. I put Led Zep in the category too.

soulspinner
09-09-2015, 12:57 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697906778&stc=1&d=1441805608

Not directed at Texbike: Even if one doesn't like Pink Floyd (which I do), it seems not debatable to me that they were one of the most creative bands of their time. I put Led Zep in the category too.

Reminds me of my Pickering cartridge days...

texbike
09-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Yeah, my kids are still trying to figure out how to scroll through the different songs on it and where to plug their headphones in. ;)

Reminds me of my Pickering cartridge days...

OK, admittedly, I had to look this one up.... :)

Texbike

slidey
09-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I've had a steady loving relationship with Pink Floyd's music for a while now, but their music is so intense that I can't bring myself to hear it whilst doing something else - work/workout, etc. Their music demands attention, and I don't have the time for just that.

Having said that, this morning is being spent going over and over this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88PQP2yX8_w

I too have a preference for David Gilmour's brand of music, and really like the Division Bell album. "Coming Back To Life" still remains one of the most evocative pieces I've heard. However, I really appreciate the sharp creativity that Waters brings to bear - really like the Final Cut album as well.

EDIT: Agreed on Zeppelin, but the recent shadows of doubt on their creativity (Stairway To Heaven/Kashmir, etc) dampens my appreciation for them a bit. I have near-zero tolerance of uncited publications.

93legendti
09-09-2015, 02:07 PM
What shadows of doubt re Zep's creativity as it pertains to Kashmir and Stairway?

By the way, listen to Kashmir, then listen to Deep Purple's Rapture of the Deep and Weirdistan, or even Rainbow's Gates of Babylon.

slidey
09-09-2015, 02:14 PM
What shadows of doubt re Zep's creativity as it pertains to Kashmir and Stairway?

Was referring to this:
http://www.npr.org/2015/09/05/437598051/inspiration-or-appropriation-behind-music-copyright-lawsuits

and,

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/26/358903514/did-led-zeppelin-plagiarize-stairway-a-penn-judge-will-decide

The latter piece has the intro riffs for both the songs in question.

By the way, listen to Kashmir, then listen to Deep Purple's Rapture of the Deep and Weirdsistan, or even Rainbow's Gates of Babylon.

Thanks, will do; always welcome good music recommendations.

93legendti
09-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Was referring to this:
http://www.npr.org/2015/09/05/437598051/inspiration-or-appropriation-behind-music-copyright-lawsuits

and,

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/26/358903514/did-led-zeppelin-plagiarize-stairway-a-penn-judge-will-decide

The latter piece has the intro riffs for both the songs in question.

Thanks, will do; always welcome good music recommendations.
Ah, ok, I remember the Spirit dust up and the Joan Baez story, didn't see Kashmir mentioned in the articles, but I just skimmed them quickly. I bought the first Zep album and learned how to play Babe, I am going to leave you. I couldn't even listen to the entire Baez song, let alone buy it.

I know the issue has been discussed on Paceline before. My response is listen to T Bone Walker, then listen to Chuck Berry. Note for note rip off is one thing, inspiration and improvement, is another...in my opinion.

CampyorBust
09-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Trying to get stuff done today but I can't just walk by a good Pink Floyd appreciation thread.

As a baby in the crib I was bottle fed a steady diet of Floyd/Zeppelin and Sabbath with some Beatle Stones to wash it all down. When I felt under the weather I received injections of Deep Purple and surprising I suffered from a deficiency of Hendrix. My thirst for Pink Floyds music has never subsided, their music is in my very soul. The zeitgeist of Pink Floyd's music has without a doubt had an undeniable influence on my artwork and overall view of the world. In 5th grade we had to choose a song to sing. I suggested Another brick in the wall, I was asked to stay after class.

Led Zeppelin deserves it own thread, but while we're at it. Page is a giant among giants.

SO, Led Zeppelin vs The Who (who are these guys anyways?) we gonna do this?:D

OtayBW
09-09-2015, 04:02 PM
I saw PF play Radio City Music Hall in March, 1973 in support of DSOTM. However, they played from Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, and DSOTM. Show started at 1:00am with PF slowly, almost imperceptibly, rising up out of the orchestra pit, bathed in an eerie blue light and and fog to the sound of an organ chord drone. Motionless heads emerging through the clouds. Freaking awesome!

I've seen them since, but this was one of the more memorable concerts that I've ever seen - bar none.

bikingshearer
09-09-2015, 04:40 PM

No, it isn't. You're just wrong. :p

93legendti
09-09-2015, 04:43 PM
... In 5th grade we had to choose a song to sing. I suggested Another brick in the wall, I was asked to stay after class.

SO, Led Zeppelin vs The Who (who are these guys anyways?) we gonna do this?:D

Great story!

Zep.

velomonkey
09-09-2015, 06:04 PM
I know the issue has been discussed on Paceline before. My response is listen to T Bone Walker, then listen to Chuck Berry. Note for note rip off is one thing, inspiration and improvement, is another...in my opinion.

To be fair, Zep was started as a total commercial band conceived by the labels. We're not talking Dylan here.

On that note but on movies - if you think the movie The Departed was good, then don't watch the Japanese movie Infernal Affairs. Complete and total rip off so bad it will make you mad. Scoreses has since claimed he knew it was 'based' off Infernal Affairs but that he never watched that movie till after he made The Departed. I call utter BS.

bikinchris
09-09-2015, 08:13 PM

The sonic experience on Dark Side of the Moon is amazing. If you have a good needle and headphones you hear 3D sound from 2 channels.
I have that album as a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab half speed disc. Examples of the sound are:
In "On the Run", you hear the horse and buggy enter from the front right and later enter from the left rear.
On "Time" you hear clocks "appear" in many places around the room, then alarm.
What they did with only two channels was amazing. I have the album as an original pressing, the MFSL half speed, a MFSL 24K gold CD and a regular CD.
The 24K gold disc sounds as good as the original vinyl disc.

572cv
09-09-2015, 08:30 PM
I never saw Floyd, wish I had. I was blown away by The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (set the controls for the heart of the sun...). Ummagumma had 'seven species of small furry animals gathered together and grooving with a Pict'. Meddle was amazing. I thought DSOTM was fantastic, but comparatively (to those) commercial. Floyd set a high bar for long term listen-ability and continual discovery.

As a kid, I ducked out to a concert on 7/12/69. It featured Buddy Guy, Al Kooper, Johnny Winter, Jethro Tull, and Led Zeppelin. Think of it! It was a killer lineup. When LZ came on stage, they were not well known to most. Their first album was just getting traction. When they left, we were stunned. I never saw anything like it.

Thanks for the thread.

Jeff N.
09-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Saw Zep twice (Forum in LA), Doors once (Shrine, LA). Both memorable.