PDA

View Full Version : How far is too far? (bent derailleur hanger)

Geeheeb
09-08-2015, 02:27 PM
2001 Lemond Zurich, steel frame. I don't think it has been bent before but I'm the third owner.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SyKwmkybzxM/Ve81kvvj6tI/AAAAAAAABmM/zXBsR0ca3EY/s720-Ic42/DSC_0259.JPG

oldpotatoe
09-08-2015, 02:35 PM
2001 Lemond Zurich, steel frame. I don't think it has been bent before but I'm the third owner.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SyKwmkybzxM/Ve81kvvj6tI/AAAAAAAABmM/zXBsR0ca3EY/s720-Ic42/DSC_0259.JPG

Use something that initially bends the whole hanger/dropout, not just screw into der hanger and bend that. I used a big honkin adjustable wrench to go along entire length, get it close. Also put a hub in the dropouts at the same time. When done, check the dropouts as well. Bent some worse than that BUT it may just break off....be careful, do with feeling.

Mark McM
09-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Before going too far, how did this happen? It clearly took a lot of force to bend the hanger that much - did it happened during shipping? If so, was it insured? If so, then you may want to see about documenting it and filing a claim before you go ahead and try something that may damage it further (and void a claim).

Tickdoc
09-08-2015, 02:57 PM
be careful, do with feeling.

Once more, with feeling?

Slow and steady wins the race.

dave thompson
09-08-2015, 03:57 PM
...feeling=finesse

oldpotatoe
09-08-2015, 04:35 PM
...feeling=finesse

:d

na3s
09-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Should bend back just fine in the hands of a competent mechanic/builder, gotta love steel.

CampyorBust
09-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Had a vintage Trek330 Reynolds 531 I built up years ago. Loved that thing, sold it, tried to buy it back, no dice.

Anyways it's RD hanger was just as badly bent as this. I took it to a shop I trusted and they bent it back for me without heat. Other people told me it needed to be heated up before. I usually do all my own wrenching but for structural stuff like this I prefer to take it to someone who has done this thing before. I think it's still salvageable.

Peter P.
09-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Not a problem straightening that hanger.

Assuming the damage was caused while a wheel was inserted in the dropout, you'll want to insert a wheel while you straighten the hanger because 1. You need your reference point with the tool and that reference point will be the rim, and 2. It's not the dropout slot that gets bent; it's clamped nicely by the axle and skewer which protects it from crash damage. The remainder of the hanger is what you want to straighten.

harrison
09-08-2015, 09:05 PM
easy fix. gently now, gently.

zmudshark
09-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Bring it to Ann Arbor. I'll straighten it for you. I have a DAG and drop out tools.

Geeheeb
09-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Well thanks for all the great advice, and huge thanks to zmudshark for the offer, but I called my LBS (Spin in Lansing, MI) and the owner Chad bent it back for next to nothing with the DAG.

The frame wasn't damaged in shipping, I was riding along a curvy river trail and ran into an old friend from school, so I braked hard but I was probably only going 14 mph I weigh 201 lbs and the og wheelset was a Rolf Vector Comp, 20 paired spokes in the back. I was riding along slowly so he could keep jogging next to me and I heard a DING from the rear wheel, looked down and the derailleur had been pulled into the wheel. None of the spokes are broken, but three detached as the flange broke on the drive side of the hub, and I think a spoke grabbed the derailleur and pulled it in. I didn't hear any loud noises or anything I can associate with the flange breaking, unless that was the DING, but I was only going about 5-6 mph max when it happened.

So now I need a new wheel, but I'm a poor student. I have never built a wheel before and the rim is fine, but I don't know where to find a 20 hole rear hub, even a beater.

oldpotatoe
09-09-2015, 05:49 AM
Well thanks for all the great advice, and huge thanks to zmudshark for the offer, but I called my LBS (Spin in Lansing, MI) and the owner Chad bent it back for next to nothing with the DAG.

The frame wasn't damaged in shipping, I was riding along a curvy river trail and ran into an old friend from school, so I braked hard but I was probably only going 14 mph I weigh 201 lbs and the og wheelset was a Rolf Vector Comp, 20 paired spokes in the back. I was riding along slowly so he could keep jogging next to me and I heard a DING from the rear wheel, looked down and the derailleur had been pulled into the wheel. None of the spokes are broken, but three detached as the flange broke on the drive side of the hub, and I think a spoke grabbed the derailleur and pulled it in. I didn't hear any loud noises or anything I can associate with the flange breaking, unless that was the DING, but I was only going about 5-6 mph max when it happened.

So now I need a new wheel, but I'm a poor student. I have never built a wheel before and the rim is fine, but I don't know where to find a 20 hole rear hub, even a beater.

Not gonna find a 20h rear hub for that rim..Talk to the LBS..there are perfectly fine wheels from a distributor called J and B..as long as somebody competent at the shop trues, rounds, dishes, tensions and stress relieves the wheel first. In the $50-$75 range.