PDA

View Full Version : Stem Question

Wayne77
05-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I recently switched from a 12cm stem to a 13.5 cm stem. The 12cm was an Oval Concepts with the two stem bolts opposing (each bolt "pulling" a different direction). I am looking for a silver -10 deg 13 cm stem and have yet to find one so I am temporarily using a polished 13.5 cm Ritchey stem that was stock on a 98 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 mtb. The stem is a little heavy but it actually looks pretty nice on my rig. I had no problem with the Oval but I needed a 13cm silver stem with a -10 deg rise. (If anyone knows of such a stem let me know)

Anyway, the Ritchey stem has the two stem bolts facing the same direction. Is there a problem with this design on carbon steerer tubes? I am using a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. The reason I ask is that, with this stem, it seems like I adjust the play in the headset (Chris King) via the nut in the top cap to its correct setting, then when I tighten the stem bolts it is loose again. It feels like I have to over-tighten the bolt in the cap and then tighten the stem bolts to get a final setting that is anywhere close to the proper setting once the stem is tightened. Am I missing something here?

Just want to amke sure I'm not going to pull a G. Hincapie going down Parley's Canyon...

Serpico
05-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Thomson x2 if you need 26.0 or x4 if you need 38.1

the x4 is beautiful in silver, I got one a few weeks ago

Jeremy
05-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Thomson x2 if you need 26.0 or x4 if you need 38.1

the x4 is beautiful in silver, I got one a few weeks ago

The X-2 is also a 31.8, it has 2 bolts for the face plate instead of 4 for the X-4. They are marketed as oversized road and oversized MTB respectively. They are very nice stems though. IRD makes a very nice and light polished stem called the prestige, but it is a +/- 5 degree stem.

Jeremy

Wayne77
05-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I looked at the X2 and it is not available in 26.0. The original Elite stem is, but I don't like the looks or the design...

Serpico
05-15-2006, 02:56 PM
damn, a silver x4 would look hot on your Concours

Lincoln
05-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Just want to amke sure I'm not going to pull a G. Hincapie going down Parley's Canyon...

Wayne, where do you live?

Wayne77
05-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Wayne, where do you live?

Just north of SLC, UT.

Update: I found the problem - I didn't have enough of a gap between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer tube. Problem fixed, (But I'm still looking for a 13 cm -10 deg rise polished silver stem..) For now, the Ritchey will do - it actually doesn't look half bad. (Still amazed to think my mtb came with a 13.5 cm stem back in '98 - compared to all the stubbies found on mtb's today)