PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Merlin/Fork upgrade

toadbike
09-08-2015, 10:10 AM
I am the proud and fortunate owner of a 2000 Merlin Extralight, with a 1 1/8 steerer, and an original Reynolds ouzo pro carbon fork, rake 45. I'm not the original owner, but the frame was allegedly a NOS purchase, and when I got the frame it had only 5K miles on it.

My question to other vintage Ti lovers is; Would a new generation carbon fork (Enve 2.0) make any difference to the ride quality of my Merlin? I'm a true believer in "If it aint broke don't fix it" but I have an opportunity to get a new Enve at a reasonable price.

I am completely in love with the way this frame rides, as a matter of fact It has replaced my LOOK 595 plastic bike. The Merlin has of course traditional geometry, and is also heavier than the LOOK, but I can't deny the wonderful ride quality of a Tom Kellogg Double butted Ti frame, it feels perfect for the type of riding I'm doing here in PDX.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch

weisan
09-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Mitch pal, personally, I think you will be nuts to change anything on a setup that you said had worked wonderfully for you in the past and at present. But hey, who am I to tell you otherwise especially since I am the king of "experiments" , like to try out new things, easily swayed by fads and mesmerized by latest marketing mumbo jumbo. :D

Basically, if it works, it works. You can't argue with success.

thwart
09-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm a big Ouzo Pro fan, but then again I weigh around 150 lbs. The Enve is thought to be stiffer.

I think a lot of us have a bit of a tendency to mess with things, especially late in the season... even if the current set-up works well. However, as someone else said: if it works well, then don't...

That said, if it's a great deal, you could buy and try out the Enve. As long as you don't cut the steerer, they generally have a very good resale value.

na3s
09-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Will a modern carbon fork be too stiff compared to that frame?

Wakatel_Luum
09-08-2015, 06:14 PM
I updated all my forks on my Merlin's with Ouzo Pro's...I really see no need to ever change other than if I damage them...

avalonracing
09-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Upgraded the fork on my Merlin Works CR from they Real Designs POS to an Ouzo Pro and it was a big upgrade. I put on on my Seven as well. It's a great fork and tough to beat.

Mike Lopez
09-08-2015, 08:39 PM
For what it's worth the Ouzo pro is stiffer than the Enve 1.0 & 2.0

Whether that's good or bad depends on your personal preference / riding style. Some time back I posted data on the differences. You can try a search if interested...

Wakatel_Luum
09-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Such a shame Reynolds don't make them anymore...

toadbike
09-09-2015, 03:40 PM
For what it's worth the Ouzo pro is stiffer than the Enve 1.0 & 2.0

Whether that's good or bad depends on your personal preference / riding style. Some time back I posted data on the differences. You can try a search if interested...

Wow, thanks for the info Mike Lopez re: Ouzo pro being stiffer. I'm not going to change a thing on the bike. I guess I just made the assumption that a newer generation fork would be an upgrade.

Assume = ass u me

donevwil
09-09-2015, 04:06 PM
I think the only thing you might gain with the Enve would be clearance for a slightly larger tire.

Wakatel_Luum
09-09-2015, 04:54 PM
I'm fairly sure I can fit 28mm tyres with more than enough clearance left...

tuxbailey
09-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Don't fix what isn't broken.

On a related note:

My 2005 Merlin Extralight has a Merlin fork that looks a lot like an Ouzo fork. Is it indeed an Ouzo Pro fork?