PDA

View Full Version : Commuting on Speedplay Light Action vs Zeroes

SlackMan
09-07-2015, 07:54 PM
I commute by bike so I do much more starting and stopping at traffic lights and stop signs than the average non-commuting ride. I have Speedplay Light Action pedals and find them very easy to clip in and out of. Although it has never happened, I get a little nervous about becoming unclipped when I ride the same pedals on weekends and need to hammer up a hill or sprint. For those who have experience with Speedplay Zeros, is the effort getting in and out too much for commuting with frequent starts and stops?

thegunner
09-07-2015, 08:11 PM
I commute by bike so I do much more starting and stopping at traffic lights and stop signs than the average non-commuting ride. I have Speedplay Light Action pedals and find them very easy to clip in and out of. Although it has never happened, I get a little nervous about becoming unclipped when I ride the same pedals on weekends and need to hammer up a hill or sprint. For those who have experience with Speedplay Zeros, is the effort getting in and out too much for commuting with frequent starts and stops?

i've never used light actions, but i do use the zeros in NYC... they've never been a problem (knock on wood)

kramnnim
09-07-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't think so, but Light Actions feel extremely...light? since I'm used to Zeros.

shovelhd
09-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Zeros are fine. Keep them clean and lubed. Replace the cleats yearly.

R3awak3n
09-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Spd with spd shoes :)

Jk zeros are easy to get out of

buldogge
09-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Zeros here...Commute everyday on them...Zero issues to report. ;)

As noted, keep them cleaned and lubed...replace yearly.

-Mark in St. Louis

jmeloy
09-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Ride light action SPs all the Ti,e and no issue at all. Have ridden Zero's as well.

mecse
09-07-2015, 08:47 PM
i've never used light actions, but i do use the zeros in NYC... they've never been a problem (knock on wood)

Echoing gunner: I use zero's in NYC and haven't had a problem. Loaaads of stop/starts here until you hit a nice long stretch.

djg21
09-07-2015, 08:49 PM

Never used light actions. Never have had difficulties getting out of Zeros or the Zero Track pedals (it's been a while). I prefer Zeros to other brands because of the ease of entry and exit. The only downside is you need to watch that the cleats don't get contaminated with debris. I don't walk through mud in my cycling shoes. I also use Keepon Kovers to protect the cleats.

axel23
09-07-2015, 09:18 PM
The new aero/walkable Speedplay cleats are terrific. I highly recommend them.

erslah
09-07-2015, 09:19 PM
I get a little nervous about becoming unclipped when I ride the same pedals on weekends and need to hammer up a hill or sprint.

Does this happen? I've been riding X2s (same mechanism as the light actions, I'm pretty sure) for 15 years, I don't change my cleats but maybe every couple of years, and I've never unclipped unintentionally. I'm a (mostly seated) climber, not a sprinter, though, so maybe that's the difference....

erslah
09-07-2015, 09:38 PM
The new aero/walkable Speedplay cleats are terrific. I highly recommend them.

Ooh! First I've heard of these. But argh, naturally they're not available for my outdated X2s. I only walk a few feet in my Sidis, but I'm religious about putting on my covers when I do. It's enough of a pain that I might finally be willing to move to Zeros if it means I can get those new covers.

SlackMan
09-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to give the Zeroes a try.

dlui
09-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Ooh! First I've heard of these. But argh, naturally they're not available for my outdated X2s. I only walk a few feet in my Sidis, but I'm religious about putting on my covers when I do. It's enough of a pain that I might finally be willing to move to Zeros if it means I can get those new covers.

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

I've been using these on my X2 for 2 years, no problems. I can walk without worrying about slipping, or wearing out my cleats

oldpotatoe
09-08-2015, 05:55 AM
Does this happen? I've been riding X2s (same mechanism as the light actions, I'm pretty sure) for 15 years, I don't change my cleats but maybe every couple of years, and I've never unclipped unintentionally. I'm a (mostly seated) climber, not a sprinter, though, so maybe that's the difference....

Altho similar pedal, guts of cleats completely different for X series and Zero(including LA). In X series, the 'spring' in the cleat stays fixed and the pedal rotates around on it. In Zero, the spring in the cleat is firmly attached to the pedal, and the spring rotates in the cleat, allowing adjustable float.

erslah
09-08-2015, 07:41 AM
http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

I've been using these on my X2 for 2 years, no problems. I can walk without worrying about slipping, or wearing out my cleats

Thanks, they look like a great option. I'd seen them mentioned here a couple of times but assumed they were these (http://www.koolkovers.com/products.html), which I have (same annoying use of K, à la Krispy Kreme).

erslah
09-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Altho similar pedal, guts of cleats completely different for X series and Zero(including LA). In X series, the 'spring' in the cleat stays fixed and the pedal rotates around on it. In Zero, the spring in the cleat is firmly attached to the pedal, and the spring rotates in the cleat, allowing adjustable float.

Thanks. Think they're any more likely to suffer unwanted clip-outs, as the OP appears to suggest?

pff
09-08-2015, 09:49 PM
zeroes are great, especially with the walkable cleats (which are not relevant to clipping and unclipping but is relevant to commuting). Then again you should trackstand at every light so unclipping is irrelevant.

oldpotatoe
09-09-2015, 05:59 AM
Thanks. Think they're any more likely to suffer unwanted clip-outs, as the OP appears to suggest?

Since X series takes more ankle movement to unclip than Zeros, I'd say no. BUT I put a LA spring into my standard Zeros since I needed a cleat and didn't have a standard Zero one..it was lighter feel, but certainly useable..

SlackMan
09-09-2015, 07:00 AM

I've never expereinced an unwanted ciip-out with the Light Actions, but Speedplay does make clear that you should not use them for racing. I understand they probably say that for legal liability reasons, but to me that still implies there is a greater chance of unwanted clip-out than with the Zeroes for which they do not give that warning.

erslah
09-12-2015, 07:55 PM
I've never expereinced an unwanted ciip-out with the Light Actions, but Speedplay does make clear that you should not use them for racing. I understand they probably say that for legal liability reasons, but to me that still implies there is a greater chance of unwanted clip-out than with the Zeroes for which they do not give that warning.

Interesting, thanks. All my "racing" these days is against other old farts on lunchtime rides, but I'll stick with Xs and Zeroes just in case.

RyanH
09-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Just a heads up but the zeroes can require a lot of force to clip into for the first few hundred miles.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

erslah
09-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Just a heads up but the zeroes can require a lot of force to clip into for the first few hundred miles.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Huh. And no amount of lube will help? Is that just a function of the springs breaking in?

slinkywizard
09-13-2015, 03:18 AM
I commute on the zero's on a daily basis...no problems whatsoever...the cleats can be a PITA to get off without a dremel when they're really worn

oldpotatoe
09-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Huh. And no amount of lube will help? Is that just a function of the springs breaking in?

The most important thing with all Speedplay is to ensure the cleat is FLAT. Hard entry or exit is most often because the cleat isn't flat. Shim accordingly.

erslah
09-13-2015, 08:26 AM
I commute on the zero's on a daily basis...no problems whatsoever...the cleats can be a PITA to get off without a dremel when they're really worn

You mean the screws get worn and difficult to unscrew? If so, the covers on my X2s reduce that problem, and I'd only get the Zeroes with the new walkable cleats. Or are you talking about a different issue?