PDA

View Full Version : shoe insoles

dsimon
09-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I need the opinion of the masses. So i upgraded my 7 year old Sidi for a new pair but the new pair have carbon bottoms and man are they rough on my feet.

I have medium to high arches never needed any special kind of soles not even in Army boots:crap: but Damn these shoes make my feet sore. should i ugrade to the new and better sidi soles or is there something better? not that i need anything special just want my feet to stop hurting:help:

Cicli
09-07-2015, 05:44 PM
I like the Giro insoles. Or I used to. I bought a pair of Shimano R321's and they have the most comfortable insoles of all time. YMMV.

ptourkin
09-07-2015, 05:45 PM
I need the opinion of the masses. So i upgraded my 7 year old Sidi for a new pair but the new pair have carbon bottoms and man are they rough on my feet.

I have medium to high arches never needed any special kind of soles not even in Army boots:crap: but Damn these shoes make my feet sore. should i ugrade to the new and better sidi soles or is there something better? not that i need anything special just want my feet to stop hurting:help:

Unfortunately, the big S does that best job of this at a reasonable price for me. Go to a Specialized dealer who has the Body Geometry thing to stand on and it will give you the correct insole for your arch etc.. Beyond that, you can move up to more custom versions like Shimano that are heat moldable and after that the super expensive stuff that others here are knowledgeable about.

I found the Spec far more comfortable than the stock Sidi insole.

LegendRider
09-07-2015, 05:55 PM
I used Superfeet for years until I discovered the Specialized insoles - they are the best out of the box insoles IMO. I use the green ones for high arches.

dsimon
09-07-2015, 05:58 PM
thanks I may stop by my shop and try out the Specialized.

downtube
09-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately, the big S does that best job of this at a reasonable price for me. Go to a Specialized dealer who has the Body Geometry thing to stand on and it will give you the correct insole for your arch etc.. Beyond that, you can move up to more custom versions like Shimano that are heat moldable and after that the super expensive stuff that others here are knowledgeable about.

I found the Spec far more comfortable than the stock Sidi insole.

I agree, I was having feet pain and calf issues until I added Specialized insoles. Problem gone. Hope it is as simple for you.

Dired
09-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Went through this exercise last year and settled on Sole. Zappos has free shipping/returns and sells lot of different insoles.

Peter P.
09-07-2015, 07:16 PM
I'll add to the Specialized Body Geometry love. Three different arch support flavors and they used to come with the varus/valgus tilt wedges as well. Even without, they do the job well.

The Superfeet insoles didn't do much for me; I wound up sticking them in a pair of street shoes.

rnhood
09-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Specialized and Sole are your best foot friends.

kramnnim
09-07-2015, 07:34 PM
The stock Sidi insoles are quite bad...

My feet have been happy with Sole insoles. Got the thick ones to help fill up the shoe. (my feet are very low volume)

makoti
09-07-2015, 07:40 PM
These: Sole footbeds. http://www.theinsolestore.com/sole-thin-sport-custom-footbeds.html
Have worked great in my Sidis. The Specialized ones I tried took up too much room. I ordered two (!) sizes smaller than suggested to get the best fit. Really like them.

downtube
09-07-2015, 07:46 PM
These: Sole footbeds. http://www.theinsolestore.com/sole-thin-sport-custom-footbeds.html
Have worked great in my Sidis. The Specialized ones I tried took up too much room. I ordered two (!) sizes smaller than suggested to get the best fit. Really like them.

I took my specialized insoles with me when I tried on new shoes. That way you have a well fitting package.

makoti
09-07-2015, 07:54 PM
I took my specialized insoles with me when I tried on new shoes. That way you have a well fitting package.

I had to do it the other way around. Had shoes, needed insoles. Trial and error. Started to get expensive. Not sure I'd buy shoes to fit my insoles, anyway. If we are talking custom orthotics, that's different.

Tickdoc
09-07-2015, 07:55 PM
I concur that the big s insoles are the best, I use them in my fiziks, but in my sidis I use a simple memory foam dr scholls insert and it works like a charm. I tried the specialized in the sidis but it didn't work for me.

Funny, because I wore my old sidi revolutions sans socks in the summers, sans insoles, (with toe clips that was so long ago) and never suffered hot spots, sore spots, etc. the revolutions had a natural leather insole that was hard as wood and perfectly fit to my foot.

quattro
09-07-2015, 08:56 PM
If the over the counter insoles don't work for you I highly recommend esoles custom insoles. I had a pair made for me and use them in Shimano R321's, after a break in period, they are pure comfort.

I tried Specialized with the high arch as well as the Shimano R321 stock insoles, but nothing worked for my foot issues.

In Massachusetts we are very lucky to have someone that can take all the necessary foot measurements, use the esoles foot scanner and sent all the information off for manufacture, they are the real deal!

Good luck.

quattro

YesNdeed
09-08-2015, 01:13 AM
I too have medium high arches, and had problems with standard Sidi insoles. I tried Sole, and had pain in the 5th metatarsal insertion point for the first 1/2 hour of each ride. No good. I then tried Pearl Izumi insoles, and began my trial with the highest, most aggressive arch insert which was too much and hurt like hell. I toned it down with the medium insert, been using them for years, and haven't looked back. Pearl Izumi insoles are my ones.

dsimon
09-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Well I bought the Blue Spec inserts put them in walked around the garage and they feel weird almost like to much arch support Im going to try them out tomorrow and well see thanks for the help

seajaye
09-08-2015, 10:38 AM
I tried the Specialized insoles in my SIDIs.... didn't work out. The thickness of it plus the heel section pushed the arch support into the wrong place on my foot = horrible.

I went with Giros for my next pair of shoes and they are super comfortable, and I haven't even thought about the Fit Kit insoles, which is a good sign they're working the way they are supposed to.

benb
09-08-2015, 10:54 AM
I've had CycleSoles the last few years which are roughly similar to eSoles.

Even vs custom orthotics (which I had before) these are the best thing going for me.. hugely better even tha the custom orthotics. They're rock hard just like the carbon sole but they fit your foot pretty much exactly. Specialized didn't work for me. These are essentially still custom orthotics but they're made in a cycling shoe while you're pressing down on the pedal so they put your foot in a different position. They wouldn't work for walking.

Assuming it's a similar thing you might get a good result out of a home heat molded kit but in this case the process I watched for CycleSoles was still more complex than I'd want to deal with for what they cost. After the heat molding the bottom of the insole is then built up again so they have 100% contact with the sole of the shoe so the insole can't flex.

makoti
09-08-2015, 10:55 AM
I too have medium high arches, and had problems with standard Sidi insoles. I tried Sole, and had pain in the 5th metatarsal insertion point for the first 1/2 hour of each ride. No good. I then tried Pearl Izumi insoles, and began my trial with the highest, most aggressive arch insert which was too much and hurt like hell. I toned it down with the medium insert, been using them for years, and haven't looked back. Pearl Izumi insoles are my ones.

Are these adjustable, or did you have to buy different insoles to get the medium?

MagicHour
09-08-2015, 02:12 PM
+1 on the Pearl Izumi 1:1 I'm using these now and like them a lot. You can tune the arch and varus tilt to your needs. Unfortunately I just checked, and it seems like these are on clearance everywhere, so hopefully not discontinued?

I also use Superfeet yellow in another pair of shoes, but I like these better.

na3s
09-08-2015, 05:27 PM
I love my Giros, not sure I could fit insoles..

pinoymamba
09-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I rock superfeet black in my Bonts.

pff
09-08-2015, 09:45 PM
foot balance semi-custom heat-molded mumbo jumbo works well for me

http://www.footbalance.com/

dsimon
09-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Well rode Six miles in the blue Spec inserts no beuno took them out and finished my ride im just going to take my shoes with me waaaay to much arch support. made everything else hurt minus the ball of my feet. thanks for the help

bcroslin
09-11-2015, 10:03 AM
I just had custom Retul foot beds made a few days ago and I had my first ride with them last night and I'm amazed at the difference. I now have the heel support I've never been able to find in any shoe and my right foot now sits neutral versus overpronating. They're not cheap at $150 for the process and you have to find someone in your neck of the woods who has the system for creating them but you can swap them out in all of your shoes and they last for years.

https://www.retul.com/retul-products/futbed-custom-cycling-insoles/

etu
09-12-2015, 08:23 AM
i've recently developed plantar fascititis on my right foot and the specialized blue insoles which didn't bother before really became noticeablely uncomfortable.
put in black superfeet which my PT recommended and they felt MUCH better. if you're going for the off the self inserts, i think it helps to know what part of your feet hurts. the arch support on the superfeet is located more posteriorly near the heel whereas the specialized ones seems to be along the entire arch.

Tony T
09-12-2015, 09:22 AM
I use the Specialized Red. I used to get a pain in my left toe after about 25 miles and the Specialized solved the issue for me.

dsimon
09-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Well you might not believe this but I went to REI tried the Sole no fit and they seemed stiff. tried the blue super-feet and not really liking it so when I got home i did something weird i cut the front off (toebox)the Specialized and and then did the dame to the sidi inserts and it seemed to work but the transition was funny but i think i can tolerate it. then I had another bright Idea let me throw the Spec in the oven and peel off the meditorasal/arch support off and man they feel great. its raining so i cant try them out. so i put the specialized back together and in the shoe. it raining so i can try them out. but if it works i may go get a new pair and just heat them up and take off the arch support and button from underneath:confused:

carl
09-16-2015, 06:24 AM
I never go for the expensive branded insoles ever because at the end of the day there are all just made in the same Chinese factory. What I do is make sure I buy some good running shoes and just buy some less expensive insoles from this site (http://nuovahealth.co.uk/product-category/orthotic-insoles/) as insoles do wear out pretty fast and it is important to keep replacing them else any insole no matter the make if you wear them out they will do more harm than good. I hope this helps!

pff
09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
if you have a local dealer get some footbalance insoles