PDA

View Full Version : Need a new trainer

LegendRider
09-07-2015, 03:03 PM
In 25 years of riding I've owned exactly two trainers - a Blackburn wind trainer and then a Blackburn mag trainer. I recently gave my son the mag trainer and I'm now in the market for something new.

I like the looks of the LeMond Revolution, but it would be nice to have something quieter. I also like the Wahoo Kickr, but I've decided against spending that much.

So, what do you recommend for a simple, inexpensive, stable and durable trainer? Quiet also preferred but not willing to pay a premium for it.

Alan
09-07-2015, 03:10 PM
DC Rainmaker has his annual trainer review coming up soon. He reviews all of the trainers in one article and it is very helpful. There are many choices depending on electronics etc. I have a Kurt Kinetic which is great but not terribly electronic.

You can read last year's article at the link below:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/2014-winter-trainer-recommendations.html

There have been many new introductions recently so read before you make a decision.

Alan

Veloo
09-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Regarding the Lemond Revolution, if you have a larger open space, the noise isn't as bad.

ajhapps
09-07-2015, 04:04 PM
+1 on the Kurt Kinetic if you don't need connectivity/apps/electronics

shovelhd
09-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Look at the Tacx Vortex Smart. Around $500 from overseas. Best deal in a smart trainer.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2015, 05:20 PM
In 25 years of riding I've owned exactly two trainers - a Blackburn wind trainer and then a Blackburn mag trainer. I recently gave my son the mag trainer and I'm now in the market for something new.

I like the looks of the LeMond Revolution, but it would be nice to have something quieter. I also like the Wahoo Kickr, but I've decided against spending that much.

So, what do you recommend for a simple, inexpensive, stable and durable trainer? Quiet also preferred but not willing to pay a premium for it.

Rollers
..makes the time go faster and actually teaches ya something.

aramis
09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
I've had my Kurt kintetic road machine for a few years and it works great. Never tried a "smart" trainer but the KK works well for what I need.

LegendRider
09-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Rollers
..makes the time go faster and actually teaches ya something.

I rode Kreitlers for years. My pedal stroke is smooth - I need to work on power / intensity.

Also, looking for a basic trainer - don't want electronics, apps, power meters, etc.

ColnagoFan
09-07-2015, 05:55 PM

I got a CycleOps Silencer last year, similar setup to the LeMond, but using magnetic tension, so it's almost silent. Not 100%, but close. The Wahoo is great, but man it was pricey. I didn't need the power/etc setup on my trainer, so it made sense to me. Worth checking out for sure!

regularguy412
09-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Kurt Kinetic. Magnetic-coupled, fluid trainer. Had mine for 2 years. Can't wear it out. And,,,, no leaks from the fluid. Have well over 2000 miles on mine ( if you count 'indoor miles as miles'). It doesn't have adjustable resistance levels, but ya don't need 'em. The viscous fluid is of the type that does not get 'thinner' when it gets hot. So as you go up in 'speed', the trainer responds with more resistance.

I've worn out two different Blackburn Mag trainers and, now, gone thru 2 sets of bearings in some very old Minoura rollers. Much prefer the Kurt to any of the aforementioned.

Mike in AR:beer:

Peter P.
09-07-2015, 07:13 PM

If you want simple and inexpensive, get another Blackburn mag trainer.

I picked up on eBay for my sister for a paltry $50. Then I found another one on Craigslist for a friend of mine for a similar price. I tried the trainer before I handed it over to my sister-for $50 I felt it was so comparable to my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine that I was jealous she saved so much money!

People are constantly unloading trainers so if you're patient you'll find a bargain. Start looking now and you'll likely find one before trainer season.

makoti
09-07-2015, 07:51 PM
+1 on the Kurt Kinetic if you don't need connectivity/apps/electronics

I'm agreeing with this.

shovelhd
09-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I rode Kreitlers for years. My pedal stroke is smooth - I need to work on power / intensity.

Also, looking for a basic trainer - don't want electronics, apps, power meters, etc.

Then go KK. Mine is an older grey painted model. It goes with me to every race. Can't kill it. Probably never will.

xjoex
09-07-2015, 09:26 PM
If I may suggest, buy a used spin bike. I never got the workout on a trainer that I got on a spin bike.

-Joe

Ray
09-08-2015, 04:37 AM
I have a Lemond Revolution and, yeah, it's loud. It's also the first trainer I've ever had that I've actually used long term. I've had mine for around 3 years I think, and I've used it consistently when the weather wasn't conducive to riding. I just like the action of the flywheel more than any other trainer or rollers I ever owned.

But if I had the space I'd probably go with a spin bike - I agree with Joe on that one...

-Ray

572cv
09-08-2015, 05:05 AM
I'll agree with Ray on his points on the Lemond Revolution. I use some old soft fit headphones plugged into the iPad and watch cycling videos, deals with the noise for me. This winter, I'm going to slap together a little box of leftover styrofoam and glue to see if that is of any value. I do like the feel of the thing, so it's worth trying.

oldpotatoe
09-08-2015, 05:58 AM

You are in Atlanta(HotLanta..), do you need an indoor trainer? Just asking.

soulspinner
09-08-2015, 06:01 AM
I got a CycleOps Silencer last year, similar setup to the LeMond, but using magnetic tension, so it's almost silent. Not 100%, but close. The Wahoo is great, but man it was pricey. I didn't need the power/etc setup on my trainer, so it made sense to me. Worth checking out for sure!

My buddy got the expensive set up with the huge tv to train on and gave me his Cyclops to train on as my magnetic ancient one broke. I like it.

cderalow
09-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Cycleops Fluid2

Works great for me, though I'm not overly powerful. I have heard at high powers it tends to have a bit of resistance fade.

Quiet enough I use it in a room next to sleeping kids

cdn_bacon
09-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Kurt.

lifetime warranty.

and you can upgrade to the 12lb flywheel if you really want to sweat

deechee
09-08-2015, 09:18 AM
another +1 for KK. +15 really, bought KKs for the tri club I used to volunteer for, and they've been going strong for over 5 years, 3x a week well abused 8 months of the year.

ptourkin
09-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Also Kurt. I did a season of HIT (yes, in San Diego...) in a shop that bought a batch of CycleOps and they wore out in during that 3 month, twice a week season. Yes, it's anecdotal but my KK has stayed solid. Plus, I can put a track bike on it if I want without changing hardware.

I got a generic usb ANT + dongle on Amazon for about $11 for playing with Zwift. If you already have ANT+ peripherals and don't mind using your main ride on the trainer, that's cheaper than some kind of smart trainer.

If you are using your nice bike, I learned the hard way to obtain a dedicated wheel. My R45 rear got an expensive proprietary overhaul after various damage that my builder attributed to the trainer. I got the cheapest Shimano 11 wheel with a 105 cassette and use old tires.

jemoryl
09-08-2015, 09:48 AM
What do people think of the 1up trainer? It is supposed to be very quiet and made in the US.

ptourkin
09-08-2015, 10:17 AM
What do people think of the 1up trainer? It is supposed to be very quiet and made in the US.

It's very, very well-made. I was flanked by them in class this year - one of them was from the first generation they built and still going strong.

LegendRider
09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
You are in Atlanta(HotLanta..), do you need an indoor trainer? Just asking.

Riding year round in Atlanta is not a problem, but I occasionally like to exercise fairly late at night (9:00 PM or later).

katematt
09-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Im going on at least 10 years with my 1up and still going strong. He stands behind it, made in USA and quiet.

The 1up plus sufferfest videos gets me through the winter.

09-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Depends a lot on just how you want to do intensity workouts on the trainer. I've been through a 1Up, Kurt (a couple models), various sponsored products (Cyclops, Tacx, etc.), Lemond, Monarks, and so on. I'm currently on a Wahoo Kickr and liking it the most, basically because I can program workouts and be quantitative about it. It doesn't work with a track bike, and a power meter on your bike can replace at least part of the rationale for a Kickr.

I do understand you want to limit your expense.

A basic solution: Find an old Cateye 1000. It's a rigid bike stand with a resistance unit under the rear wheel and a control panel up front. It's been out of production for perhaps 15 years (?) but it's still the unit that all kinds of top trackies and others use to do murderous workouts. It doesn't slip on your tire like most of the others do so you can do 1800 watt sprint intervals or maximal accelerations without a hitch. They never break, and you can find them for $150 or so on Craigslist or eBay.

Another solution: Get an old Monark ergometer. Built like a tank and superseded in clinics by digital equipment, but nothing breaks on them and you can get incredible power workouts.

A few other possibilities I've used at various times: Computrainer. Wattbike. Velotron. SRM Bike. These are all outside the price range you've described, but worth being aware of since you can find deals on Craigslist or eBay.

Why am I not a complete fan of the Kurt or 1Up? Hey, I'm a trackie. But we all have problems with having the rear wheel slip on the trainer during hard efforts. Whatever the tire, it slips. Tighten it, cover the trainer roller with non-slip tape, machine the roller with knurling or just to make it perfectly round, ... whatever we've tried, trackies have had issues with these trainers. (And it applies to Cyclops, Tacx, and most of the rest as well ... the Cateye 1000 definitely being an exception.) Anyway, when you talk about high intensity workouts it really depends on whether you're doing 400-500 watt high intensity workouts like wimpy roadies do, or whether you really are up in the numbers that God's chosen will train at regularly.

na3s
09-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Kreitler rollers are where it's at

09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Actually one can do a superb power workout on TruTrainer rollers, which incorporate a machined precision flywheel inside the rear drum. It's easy to get extremely road-like workouts at 600-800 watts on these things. Among rollers they offer the best road feel and give you superb power workouts. The overall quality is second to none.

RacerJRP
09-09-2015, 11:51 AM
I use both Rollers and a TACX rear wheel unit. Forget the name but its the basic one that has a tension adjust from teh handlebars. I think Tacx trainers have a much better roll-down feel than some other brands.

ptourkin
09-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Depends a lot on just how you want to do intensity workouts on the trainer. I've been through a 1Up, Kurt (a couple models), various sponsored products (Cyclops, Tacx, etc.), Lemond, Monarks, and so on. I'm currently on a Wahoo Kickr and liking it the most, basically because I can program workouts and be quantitative about it. It doesn't work with a track bike, and a power meter on your bike can replace at least part of the rationale for a Kickr.

I do understand you want to limit your expense.

A basic solution: Find an old Cateye 1000. It's a rigid bike stand with a resistance unit under the rear wheel and a control panel up front. It's been out of production for perhaps 15 years (?) but it's still the unit that all kinds of top trackies and others use to do murderous workouts. It doesn't slip on your tire like most of the others do so you can do 1800 watt sprint intervals or maximal accelerations without a hitch. They never break, and you can find them for $150 or so on Craigslist or eBay.

Another solution: Get an old Monark ergometer. Built like a tank and superseded in clinics by digital equipment, but nothing breaks on them and you can get incredible power workouts.

A few other possibilities I've used at various times: Computrainer. Wattbike. Velotron. SRM Bike. These are all outside the price range you've described, but worth being aware of since you can find deals on Craigslist or eBay.

Why am I not a complete fan of the Kurt or 1Up? Hey, I'm a trackie. But we all have problems with having the rear wheel slip on the trainer during hard efforts. Whatever the tire, it slips. Tighten it, cover the trainer roller with non-slip tape, machine the roller with knurling or just to make it perfectly round, ... whatever we've tried, trackies have had issues with these trainers. (And it applies to Cyclops, Tacx, and most of the rest as well ... the Cateye 1000 definitely being an exception.) Anyway, when you talk about high intensity workouts it really depends on whether you're doing 400-500 watt high intensity workouts like wimpy roadies do, or whether you really are up in the numbers that God's chosen will train at regularly.

Preach!

LegendRider
09-09-2015, 03:39 PM
I appreciate everyone's input.

I'd love to get a Wahoo Kickr because not only does it get great reviews but the company is based a couple of miles from me. I'm really impressed with their success.

A few years ago I considered E-Motion and TruTrainer rollers but opted for a inexpensive set of Kreitlers found on Craigslist. The resistance on the TruTrainers is appealing, but, again, I want an inexpensive solution.

I think I'll look for a used fluid Kurt Kinetic. I don't do 1800 watt sprints so tire slippage isn't an issue. I'm not doing serious training for racing - just want to be strong enough to enjoy fast group rides.

Finally, another reason why I'm limiting my budget is because I'll be doing a lot of work on my Concept2 erg in the offseason. That is exquisite torture.

RacerJRP
09-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Ergs are a damn good time. Sometimes we throw down at lunch on the one we have at the office. I think also a Concept 2.

LegendRider
09-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Ergs are a damn good time. Sometimes we throw down at lunch on the one we have at the office. I think also a Concept 2.

I've found that on short pieces which require strength (strong pulls) I'm below average (for now). But, I do much better on longer pieces that require more endurance. Nevertheless, the erg is humbling - there is no hiding in the pack or catching the group on a descent!

Peter P.
09-09-2015, 09:03 PM
I think I'll look for a used fluid Kurt Kinetic.

I picked up my Kurt Kinetic for $165 SHIPPED on eBay. I highly recommend you go the used route for a trainer.

commonguy001
09-10-2015, 05:39 AM
My 12 year old Kurt Kenitic just keeps on going, no issues at all.

I've seen them on a pretty regular basis on my local Craigslist for around 100 bucks which isn't bad for something that doesn't wear out.

christian
09-10-2015, 05:53 AM
It'll never leave the basement because that's your preferred torture chamber? Kirk Kinetic Road Machine.

Need to move it around for race warmups or because you like to do trainer workouts on the deck? 1UP USA.

Unless you're going Kickr etc., no need to look beyond those two. I have been very very happy with my 1Up USA. I liked the Kirk just as much but gave it away as I didn't need two.

cv1966
09-10-2015, 07:59 PM
It's very, very well-made. I was flanked by them in class this year - one of them was from the first generation they built and still going strong.

+1 for 1UP. I've been using one for 10 winters and it is solid. Don't know if it is the best for simulating road feel but it is quiet, durable and folds up neatly.

TomNY
09-15-2015, 01:46 PM
If I may suggest, buy a used spin bike. I never got the workout on a trainer that I got on a spin bike.

-Joe

I can agree on that ant the ability to adjust to other people in the house. I do two spinning classes per week at my gym w my own intervals. In trainer season we take turns on the spin bike. It reduced the bikes, trainers, to one machine that sits in the TV area all year. I paid $350, replaced the chain, and pedals.