PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Rebuild Tricks?

CMiller
09-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Maybe I have no patience, or just because it was my first time, but after putting those springs in place I feel like I deserved a beer. Or nap. Or both.

Still, the hardest part of the ergo rebuild was pushing out the initial pin to pull the lever off. What tools do you use, and are there any tricks for getting it out?

Also, do you put any oil or grease in the shifter? I watched the following video where everything is installed dry. Shoot it with a bit of triflow after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OocYpHXJ3Y

Thanks!

ultraman6970
09-07-2015, 01:48 PM
I have a super busted work stand, the top has holes, so I used those holes to pull the levers pin out. Not that hard.

The hardest part for me was the darn piggy tail spring, PITA to put it back in in a 10 speed record lever.

Yes, tad grease in everything.

I used a handlebar to hold the lever in place, IMO it is a must.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Maybe I have no patience, or just because it was my first time, but after putting those springs in place I feel like I deserved a beer. Or nap. Or both.

Still, the hardest part of the ergo rebuild was pushing out the initial pin to pull the lever off. What tools do you use, and are there any tricks for getting it out?

Also, do you put any oil or grease in the shifter? I watched the following video where everything is installed dry. Shoot it with a bit of triflow after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OocYpHXJ3Y

Thanks!

I use a very small punch, put on a partially open vise and tap tap tap. I clean, oil the shifter and thumb button pivots and light grease every where a something rubs on anything else...front tooth bushing, thumb button, shift disc, also springs in spring carrier. Not hard but can be difficult. Getting in the last 'watch' spring in...hint, shift the shifter as if on the lowest gear first.

nighthawk
09-07-2015, 04:08 PM
I use a tap as well, and place the lever in a block with holes drilled into it, designed for working on handguns.

Like this: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/2200x1650/alt1/265/265720.jpg

fogrider
09-07-2015, 11:08 PM
I use a very small punch, put on a partially open vise and tap tap tap. I clean, oil the shifter and thumb button pivots and light grease every where a something rubs on anything else...front tooth bushing, thumb button, shift disc, also springs in spring carrier. Not hard but can be difficult. Getting in the last 'watch' spring in...hint, shift the shifter as if on the lowest gear first.

now you tell me! the online vid shows what needs to happen, but there are no hints...and they make it looks so easy!

oldpotatoe
09-08-2015, 05:51 AM
now you tell me! the online vid shows what needs to happen, but there are no hints...and they make it looks so easy!

Well, it is fairly straight forward..rebuilding a 'few' doesn't hurt. My first rebuild was in 1992..when the springs were upside down from the more modern ones. When DT shift springs were the same as RH lever..changed in 1993..

fogrider
09-08-2015, 09:16 AM
I've only done it four times but they have been years apart. And I remember how there's a tricky part that's a pita!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk