PDA

View Full Version : Critical Mass hooligan arrested.

bobswire
09-07-2015, 06:20 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Critical-Mass-vandalism-suspect-arrested-by-San-6488638.php

velomonkey
09-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Define Poetic Justice - the fact that it was cops on bikes who arrested this jerk wad.

Cicli
09-07-2015, 06:55 AM
What a jamoke.

tumbler
09-07-2015, 02:31 PM
That POS was looking for a confrontation. I think an appropriate sentence would be allowing the driver one solid swing of a U-Lock to the body part of his choice.

campy man
09-07-2015, 03:09 PM
That POS was looking for a confrontation. I think an appropriate sentence would be allowing the driver one solid swing of a U-Lock to the body part of his choice.

I would luv to hear from any Paceliner that participates in these rides. I have seen them in downtown Lalaland and Hollywood and many just seem looking for a confrontation with cars.

In the video it clearly shows the group turning left at a sign that indicates no left or u-turns ... that only applies to cars :crap:

tumbler
09-07-2015, 03:44 PM
I thought about joining in years ago, but stories like these (as well as the frequent arrests of participants by NYPD) kept me away. It makes sense in theory to get everyone out at once and make your presence known, but you always have enough idiots in the group that feel empowered by the crowd and start acting stupid. This guy was riding against traffic and basically right into the zipcar driver, who obviously just wanted to get the hell out of there. I thought the protest on the Wiggle a few weeks ago was a much better idea and something that I could get behind.

pinkshogun
09-07-2015, 03:46 PM
i did it once in providence about 10 years ago. i felt dirty and never did it again

unterhausen
09-07-2015, 03:47 PM
it's funny, I had a couple of really ridiculous interactions with motorists on the day I saw the news of this incident. I was thinking I wanted to go on a CM ride until then.

Happy Valley had something called, "Happy Thursdays" for a while. It was like CM, except they were mostly just having fun riding around town. I was riding the same way as them one time, and I couldn't drop them off the front fast enough

ajhapps
09-07-2015, 03:48 PM
I thought about joining in years ago, but stories like these (as well as the frequent arrests of participants by NYPD) kept me away. It makes sense in theory to get everyone out at once and make your presence known, but you always have enough idiots in the group that feel empowered by the crowd and start acting stupid. This guy was riding against traffic and basically right into the zipcar driver, who obviously just wanted to get the hell out of there. I thought the protest on the Wiggle a few weeks ago was a much better idea and something that I could get behind.

Agreed. I'm really torn - have had a number of confrontations with cars while commuting to work, so want to raise awareness... but the guy in the video just makes it worse. No reason to antagonize a driver, or act in a way that is incredibly unsafe and runs counter to the whole point of these rides. A few bad apples...

blessthismess
09-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Glad they arrested him. Kooks like that give cyclists a bad name. That type of situation is why you'll never catch within 1000 feet of any "critical mass" style ride.

nighthawk
09-07-2015, 04:03 PM
i did it once in providence about 10 years ago. i felt dirty and never did it again

I did a few in Providence ~10 years ago, as well. Not too confrontational, but I got a glass bottle thrown at me.

Also, I did a CRitical Mass ride in NYC on Halloween several years ago, and a car ran me over. Haven't done one since. I found them to be a fun group activity, but not an effective form of bike advocacy.

berserk87
09-07-2015, 04:08 PM
What a jamoke.

No way! I have only heard my family use the term "jamoke". I didn't think that anyone else knew what it meant.

My family's vocabulary is littered with some legit Italian words and some that my people just made up. This must be a real thing if others are using it.

pinkshogun
09-07-2015, 04:58 PM
jamoke and jabrones...same thing

redir
09-08-2015, 09:38 AM
I have to say, I had one friend use the word jamoke and thought it was only him hahahaha.

Well glad to see they got this critical ass.

digiTED
09-08-2015, 04:50 PM

I would luv to hear from any Paceliner that participates in these rides. I have seen them in downtown Lalaland and Hollywood and many just seem looking for a confrontation with cars.

In the video it clearly shows the group turning left at a sign that indicates no left or u-turns ... that only applies to cars :crap:

I've been in SF for about 13 years. I actively participated in CM in Boston prior to moving here and continued here for maybe the first 5 years or so. I gradually stopped because I was sick of the hooligan thing. Though most participants were cool (respecting pedestrians, thanking motorists, etc.) there were always a few that were looking for any chance to be a self-righteous dick or worse.

na3s
09-08-2015, 05:01 PM
CM is still going on?