PDA

View Full Version : Question re spacers with chris king bottom bracket

moose8
09-06-2015, 04:22 PM
I am building up a ritchey breakaway cross and have a chris king road bottom bracket. I am using it with a shimano 5800 crank. Am I correct that I don't need any of the spacers and can just thread the cups in directly? I can't seem to really understand any of the manuals I have found.

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

kramnnim
09-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Is it the road one or the universal one that replaced the Road/MTB specific ones?

kevintice
09-06-2015, 06:43 PM
If your crank is a double, you shouldn't need any spacers between the BB shell and the CK cups and you should be able to thread directly. Of course you'll need the bushings that press into the bearings and sets up the proper dimension to fit the crank axle.

moose8
09-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Is it the road one or the universal one that replaced the Road/MTB specific ones?

It's a road one - it's definitely a few years old as it's part of my "dream build" pile that I am finally getting to as I finally accumulated everything and finally more or less know what I like. It's a ritchey breakaway with chris king/nemesis wheels (bought here) a chris king headset (also bought here) brooks saddle (bought here) and purple paul parts from when they did the color of the month club - brakes, cross levers, and seat post. I can't decide if it's going to look stupid or cool or more likely a mix of the two. I'll probably look like Grimace when I ride it.

It seems to work without the spacers.