PDA

View Full Version : Some things change needlessly while others never do...

catulle
05-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Complaints abound about things in the cycling world that change rather needlessly or for the worse, while others haven't changed in ages and I wish they would. For instance, why are we still fixing the end of handlebar tape with electrical tape? The tiny strips supplied with handlebar tape are mostly useless or cosmetic at best. There are some plastic thingies which are pretty useless too. Why don't handlebar tape manufacturers (Cinelli?) make a usable and cool tape (mainly wide enough) to finish-up properly the job of installing tape on handlebars, atmo? :crap:

Fixed
05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
bro the last cinelli tape i got was junk at best it started sliping all over as soon as the sun got it hot gooey mess . it was that silver carbon look like stuff. .... more carbon stuff that doesn't like me ..go figure
cheers

eddief
05-12-2006, 09:02 PM
when wrapping tape I leave a small overlap at the end of the bars where the plugs go in. With Cinelli tape and the supplied plugs I always have to wrap the plug with tape before shoving it in. And then it still seems to fit loosely. The last two wrap jobs I've used a more solid black plastic plug from another manufacturer. It takes a small amount of force to get them in, but they are in really good and look better than the Cinelli faux plastic chrome jobbies.

cydewaze
05-12-2006, 09:17 PM
My biggest pet peve on this topic is the ever increasing number of cogs they jam onto cassettes. I didn't need more than 8, and I certainly don't need more than 9. When will the madness end?

jerk
05-12-2006, 09:18 PM
My biggest pet peve on this topic is the ever increasing number of cogs they jam onto cassettes. I didn't need more than 8, and I certainly don't need more than 9. When will the madness end?

eleventeen.

jerk

Elefantino
05-12-2006, 09:35 PM

For me? Ten. I just bought and built w/Record grp. and that's it. I'm done.

Random: I rode Mt. Diablo earlier this year with Superbe Pro 42x23 6-speed friction. I stood a lot. And enjoyed the view.

We are so nerds.

Louis
05-12-2006, 10:20 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. I survived a very long time on only 6, and went directly to 9. (The fact that I jumped over 7 and 8 will tell you how long I had 6.) We have lots of rolling hills around here and with nine cogs over half of my shifts are more than one cog.

Unfortunately, it'l like a nuclear arms race. No one wants to do it, but you know that Campy and Shimano will continue to up the ante, probably to the detriment of chain strength, wheel dish, and overall reliability.

Louis

catulle
05-13-2006, 05:09 AM
when wrapping tape I leave a small overlap at the end of the bars where the plugs go in. With Cinelli tape and the supplied plugs I always have to wrap the plug with tape before shoving it in. And then it still seems to fit loosely. The last two wrap jobs I've used a more solid black plastic plug from another manufacturer. It takes a small amount of force to get them in, but they are in really good and look better than the Cinelli faux plastic chrome jobbies.

The plug end is also a problem. And Cinelli, like crabs, seem to walk backwards; the new plugs are raunchier than ever. Tape is probably the most replaced component on a bicycle but no one seems to care to improve it, atmo. :no:

keno
05-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Use the TK method, which uses no tape, but Crazy Glue, to finish the tape job. The method is on the Spectrum site. Takes practice, but looks much better than electrical or other tape. Tom's rendition is a work of art; mine is a 4th grader's work of art, but still better than electrical tape.

keno

spincycle
05-13-2006, 07:47 AM
i second the motion for the TK method. looks really cool and professionally finished. i have done it myself and it does take practice like keno says. super glue and spincycle is a dangerous combination! :) i just about glued myself to the bars the first attempt. :banana:

dbrk
05-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Use the TK method, which uses no tape, but Crazy Glue, to finish the tape job. The method is on the Spectrum site. Takes practice, but looks much better than electrical or other tape. Tom's rendition is a work of art; mine is a 4th grader's work of art, but still better than electrical tape.
keno

If you choose not to use modern cork tape then the Alex Singer shop does a smart and obvious thing. First, put the cross piece of tape on the levers. Then start at the bottom and wrap till you are under the hood. Cut the tape. Start at the top and meet the other tape under the hood. I tiny piece of tape to secure and, voila, you have no tape on the bars and the look is perfect. The tape on the CSi now looks just like this. No cork or plastic tapes for me.

dbrk

saab2000
05-13-2006, 07:59 AM
I hope we have reached the end of the 'improvements' with 10 cogs. But I suspect someone will try to do more.

Another 'improvement' of questionable merit was the movement of all production of Vittoria to Thailand. The tires changed and were less good. Thankfully, Veloflex now produces the old CX as the new standard.

New seats are always 'better' too. But mostly they are terrible. And look awful. Most people would be very happy with a modern Turbo/Turbomatic or Concor. But they quit production of seats that many riders liked.

stevep
05-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. I survived a very long time on only 6, and went directly to 9. (The fact that I jumped over 7 and 8 will tell you how long I had 6.) We have lots of rolling hills around here and with nine cogs over half of my shifts are more than one cog

Louis

6 to 9...man, you must be dizzy...
john allis went from 5 to 9... i try to get him to go to ten...
""heh, i only use the 17 anyway...""
double quotes mean he did not say it but would for english majors..the outside quote cancels the inside quote... leaving no actual quote but the concept of a repeated phrase.

eddief
05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
than to learn a new way that works better.

Ti Designs
05-13-2006, 10:14 AM
john allis went from 5 to 9... i try to get him to go to ten...

John's gear is a 44x18. The John Allis award (for being the Harvard rider who either wears the most wool or shifts the least) is an 18-18-18-18-18-18-18 cassette, made back in the 7-speed days when you could get individual cogs. There was an article in Bicycle Guide magazine years back where the editor was reviewing a Calfee, but the test ride was with John and the article turned out to be more about how John rides.

Steve, good luck getting John on 10-speed. He's still on his fixed gear 'cause he just doesn't notice the difference! His switch from 5 to 9 was because of Wayne at Shimano. They GAVE him the group and wheels, and there were a few phone calls to both Peter Mooney to spread his frame to 130, and John's wife to support the change. For all I know the pope was involved...

As for the bar tape issue, IT'S BAR TAPE!!! It's under $20, and it makes the bike look spiffy again. It's like clothing, gotta change things once in a while. I try new things, I return to things I like, sometimes I find things I like better. I don't complain about stuff that turns out to be crap becuse it gives me the chance to try something else sooner. I do complain about the tape that rips as soon as you pull on it, or the role of tape that's a foot too short.

Right now I have my bars doubled wrapped and I'm pretty happy with the combination. The first layer is a role of "the tape" for the 70's. The price tag (from the Bicycle Exchange in Harvard Square) said $1.99... Anyway, I hated the stuff 20 years ago, no reason the think it's gotten better with age, so it became an under layer. Over that I wrapped Fizik tape, one side red, the other Blue to match the bike. Enough padding and width to make the grip perfect, but not sploogy like some of the gel stuff.

Vancouverdave
05-13-2006, 10:27 AM
If anyone has trouble with cork tape slipping on shot-peened bars (pebbly finish @ Ritchey, 3T, etc.) wrap a layer of cloth tape over the top half of the bar, then wrap the cork over it. The cloth is a grippier surface for the cork than the bare handlebar is.

Bill Bove
05-13-2006, 12:37 PM
eleventeen.

jerk

Eleventeen :banana: Who's making it SRAM or FSA :confused: Ineed it :banana: Well, maybe I don't need it. But I want it :banana:

The Bi Ex in Harvard Sq. I really liked that shop. Where would we all be without Serge telling us what we needed? What's he up to these days, anybody know? Laughing Alley was another cool shop I liked.

Ahneida Ride
05-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Perhaps Dbrk can show me the Twine Technique at the TdFL.

I too am not a big fan of electrical tape.

catulle
05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Eleventeen :banana: Who's making it SRAM or FSA :confused: Ineed it :banana: Well, maybe I don't need it. But I want it :banana:

The Bi Ex in Harvard Sq. I really liked that shop. Where would we all be without Serge telling us what we needed? What's he up to these days, anybody know? Laughing Alley was another cool shop I liked.

I just spent a week walking up and down Harvard Square and didn't see a bike shop anywhere around. Of course, I'm just a dumb foreigner so I could have passed it a hundred times and never saw it. Would you please tell me where in Harvard Square is this shop? Or is it a Bi Ex of a different nature, atmo? :confused:

palincss
05-13-2006, 05:15 PM

keno

Just be careful, and don't do what one of Tom's helpers did - put a tube of superglue in his back pocket, and then sit down.

manet
05-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I just spent a week walking up and down Harvard Square and didn't see a bike shop anywhere around. Of course, I'm just a dumb foreigner so I could have passed it a hundred times and never saw it. Would you please tell me where in Harvard Square is this shop? Or is it a Bi Ex of a different nature, atmo? :confused:

THE bicycle exchange* pushed up daisies years ago...

*site where french dude sold manet a nova

davids
05-13-2006, 05:57 PM
No bike stores in Harvard Square. Those days are gone. It's a theme park now, atmo.