PDA

View Full Version : Longshot...Nagoya Japan....bring my bike?

firerescuefin
09-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Going for two weeks will have weekends off and a vehicle to get around. Willing to travel outside of the city if there are places to ride.

mosca
09-06-2015, 03:28 PM
It's been about 20 years but I did some riding there outside of Toyota City and really enjoyed it. The Asuke region is beautiful, great backroads, climbs, scenery, and of course the people are really kind and helpful.
Riding is very season dependent, super-humid summers and cold winters so plan accordingly.
Nagoya might be fun for some urban assault riding, in the best possible sense.
Enjoy your trip:)

Lovetoclimb
09-06-2015, 07:20 PM
YES, definitely bring a bike. Spent 10 days in Japan riding with half of that in Nagoya. Look up Circles bike shop there. They will have plenty of routes assuming there is no language barrier. All of my riding was before I had a Garmin or strava existed so it is hard to say where I rode specifically. I can put you in touch with the friend who I visited who was living there while on a work rotation for Toyota. He may remember key ways to get out of the city and into the mountains, of which there are some cracking good climbs.

I believe the Chris King Gourmet Century was also hosted by Circles and in or near Nagoya so look into that.

Lastly my friends and I drove up to a city called Matsumoto and rode from there to Nagano, spent a few days riding in the "Japanese Alps" then rode back. Not a terribly long drive from what I recall and stunning scenery. Come to think of it, we never had a single negative encounter or experience while riding save for trying to figure out what kind of gas station food we were buying for on the bike snacks.

verticaldoug
09-07-2015, 02:41 AM
If you have a car, I suggest heading up to Takayama. It is a straight shot up Rt 41 from Nagoya (75 km). It is an awesome little town with great examples of traditional Japanese architecture. The riding in the area is superb..

The other weekend I head down to the Ise. I'd visit the Ise Jingu, ride along the coast and eat a ton of sea food.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10258285

Just drop the into streetview and check out the awesomeness.

firerescuefin
09-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the GREAT info.