PDA

View Full Version : Merlin UK

johnny1221
09-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Does anyone have any experience ordering online from Merlin in the UK?

Thanks!

makoti
09-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Does anyone have any experience ordering online from Merlin in the UK?

Thanks!

I bought some tires from them. Went smoothly. Shipping to US about what you'd expect, about 10 days.

tuxbailey
09-05-2015, 11:51 PM
I bought a set of Shimano Deore Disc brakes from them and the transaction was smooth.

Themalletor
09-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Ordered from them a few times with no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soulspinner
09-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Twice, no problem, 5 or 6 business days to deliver.

phcollard
09-06-2015, 07:31 AM
Ordered a few times from them as well. No problem. Sometimes they have prices better than any UK reseller.

LegendRider
09-06-2015, 08:10 AM
A buddy bought his electronic Ultegra group from them - no problems.

johnny1221
09-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback

acorn_user
09-06-2015, 01:55 PM
I have used Merlin, Shiny Bikes, Ribble and Wiggle since I moved to the US. I bought my first ever group from Total Cycling. Merlin is the only one I ever had to do a return to (tyre with a duff sidewall), and they handled it well.

blessthismess
09-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Currently waiting on a set of tires for my commuter rig. Been a couple days, hoping they show up sooner than later 'cause my current set of tires have seen better days. They are gashed and trashed and ready to be put out to pasture.

:beer:

ajhapps
09-06-2015, 05:45 PM
I bought a new groupset from them last month. Great pricing, really fast shipping. I also ordered a PF30 BB instead of BB30 by mistake. It cost $34, so the hassle of returning it to the UK seemed a bit more than it was worth, but otherwise, really happy with the purchase.

That reminds me, I should start a for sale thread... I have a few silly bike-related purchases that I need to clear out.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Currently waiting on a set of tires for my commuter rig. Been a couple days, hoping they show up sooner than later 'cause my current set of tires have seen better days. They are gashed and trashed and ready to be put out to pasture.

:beer:

Gonna be that guy...'commuter tires'...how much you saving and what is your time worth? Seems like some would rather save a few $, and wait, rather than just go down to a decent LBS, pay a few more $, get 'commuter tires' right now..cuz, ya know, your commuter tires are 'gashed and trashed'...how much is a toasted tire on a ride worth to ya? One that makes ya walk or call for a rescue? I understand when you get a group for 1/2 the MSRP, but commuter tires.

Mini-rant out-

AngryScientist
09-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Merlin is a great place to buy stuff from, but like the rest of the UK sellers, delivery is literally all over the place timing wise. i agree with Peter above, if you need tires now, the UK is not the place to order them from.

it's a leap of faith, you plunk down your money and you forget about the order. sometime between 3 days and 5 weeks later your gear arrives. there is very little you can do to speed up or understand the process either.

blessthismess
09-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Gonna be that guy...'commuter tires'...how much you saving and what is your time worth? Seems like some would rather save a few $, and wait, rather than just go down to a decent LBS, pay a few more $, get 'commuter tires' right now..cuz, ya know, your commuter tires are 'gashed and trashed'...how much is a toasted tire on a ride worth to ya? One that makes ya walk or call for a rescue? I understand when you get a group for 1/2 the MSRP, but commuter tires.

Mini-rant out-

Cheers OP,

There are two LBS's that I patronize when I don't buy parts used or online, as well as for services I cannot do myself. One is owned by a couple friends of mine and the other is conveniently located right down the street and has some amazingly friendly and competent mechanics. But, at most the local shops around here (these two included) the mark up on tires is pretty high. In most cases, if I shop around, I can basically can get two for the price of one when I buy online. With my modest income that is a notable amount. My tires are indeed toast but I can hold out for a bit. Part of my problem is wanting to save money, but, the other part is me always wanting to get every last mile out of every part I own before replacing. Have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes the used car for a test ride and tries to see how long he can drive on empty? It's basically like that.

:beer: :beer:

SoCalSteve
09-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Ordered a complete grouppo from Ribble, came in 3 days...ordered tires from them, came in 3 weeks...

Just orderered another grouppo from them. I will have a complete Ultegra DI 2 10 speed, internal grouppo for sale soon.