PDA

View Full Version : WI VBC crankset with Campy

Rebel_Biker
09-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Anyone have experience with WI VBC cranks with Campy 10 speed? Thinking of using it on a bike with campy 10 and wondering if it is compatible, and quiet.
thanks

etu
09-04-2015, 08:51 PM
You might want to ask Mike Varley at Black Mtn Cycles as he does a lot of build with this crank. I remember him saying that initially the WI cranks didn't play nice with 10speeds, but they made changes and now work just fine. I have a set but they are paired with sram brifters so can't comment on campy compatibility.

R3awak3n
09-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Its a great question that I would also love to know the answer to. I do have a set but its on shimano and its a great crankset but you rarely see it on campy so interested in knowing the answer.

Should work fine though, I do not see why it wouldn't

cp43
09-04-2015, 09:52 PM
No personal experience, but I used to ride with a guy who ran it with SRAM road shifters, he had no complaints. His reason for doing it was a narrower q-factor.

Straz
09-05-2015, 06:33 AM
I built a new bike for D2R2 with 11 speed Campy and a White Industries VBC Crankset. Using a 105 cassette and KMC chain. Shifts flawlessly and is very quiet. Highly recommend.

ptourkin
09-05-2015, 07:28 AM
You might want to ask Mike Varley at Black Mtn Cycles as he does a lot of build with this crank. I remember him saying that initially the WI cranks didn't play nice with 10speeds, but they made changes and now work just fine. I have a set but they are paired with sram brifters so can't comment on campy compatibility.

They aren't ramped so they're not perfect with 10 but once you get used to them, they are fine. I'm also using them with 10 speed SRAM and have occasionally dumped the front but it's recoverable without stopping.

R3awak3n
09-05-2015, 07:33 AM
Ah that's good to know since I am pretty sure I read that they don't recommend 11 with those chainrings

oldpotatoe
09-05-2015, 07:34 AM
They aren't ramped so they're not perfect with 10 but once you get used to them, they are fine. I'm also using them with 10 speed SRAM and have occasionally dumped the front but it's recoverable without stopping.

From WI website-"The chain rings are machined out of 7075, hard black anodized, and ramped and pinned for maximum shifting efficiency."

I think they would be fine. Sold a couple as SS, but don't know why they wouldn't work with Campag 10s ERGO.

Rebel_Biker
09-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Thanks to you all for the responses. I am going to give them a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD