PDA

View Full Version : Major tube failure

Gsinill
09-04-2015, 10:37 AM
I installed a new tire, went on fairly easy, no levers needed.

As usual, I inflated to about 120 psi to settle the tire on the rim when this happened:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2m7xe6r.jpg

Given that the split is right next to the valve stem, there is basically no chance that the tube got pinched between the rim and tire.

Schwalbe One 23, recommended pressure up to 145 PSI, tube brand new PricePoint 18/23.
Rim has no nicks or burrs and the rim tape is fine.

Glad this happened in the basement and not with an exploding front wheel on a ride.

So question to the crowd: should I avoid the other tubes from that batch I bought from PP?
What else could have caused this?

stansarch
09-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Sometimes a slight fold/overlap on tube install can do it. But I've had the same thing happen with a new tire and tube combo, blowing out the sidewall bead of the tire as well. Could also be if you were riding a wider rim, 145 psi would be too much for a 23 tube. I wouldn't worry about a bad tube batch, sometimes tubes just fail at their seam.

cderalow
09-04-2015, 10:46 AM
i've had this happen to a schwalbe tube previously at around 110 psi...

one hell of a noise wasn't it?

MattTuck
09-04-2015, 10:51 AM
I guess we all have our own approach to installing new tubes.

I usually pump it up to about 20, then deflate. Then pump it to 40, then deflate. then pump it to 60-70, then deflate. Finally, go to 100, deflate, then pump to final inflation at 95ish.

I've had a tube blow like that. the next tube was fine. chalk it up to the vagaries of the cosmos. and chinese manufacturing.

donevwil
09-04-2015, 10:53 AM
I bought a six tube bundle from Chainlove last year and three of the six did this. I'm guessing manufacturing batch issue.

downtube
09-04-2015, 10:55 AM
I just had this happen with a Michelin tube. It blew the tire right of the rim. It was LOUD.

Gsinill
09-04-2015, 11:00 AM
i've had this happen to a schwalbe tube previously at around 110 psi...

one hell of a noise wasn't it?

still ringing in the ears ;)

pgrizzwald
09-04-2015, 11:02 AM
I had a latex Challenge tube blow up on me last week. Like a gun shot. My neighbors asked what the hell had happened! Also woke up our sleeping 4 month old. From bad to worse...

rugbysecondrow
09-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Chalk it up to "Chit Happens".

Dumb question: Isn't the Schwalbe a tubless tire? Would the tube and tire pressure combo be an issue?

EricEstlund
09-04-2015, 11:24 AM
That is very likely an installation error (no big deal, we all mess them up on occasion). I've seen it on every brand of tube- I wouldn't worry about the rest of your batch.

pdmtong
09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
i inflate the tube slightly, put it inside the tire, mount the tire.

once the tire beads are seated both sides I inflate it slightly more and go around to make sure nothing is pinched.

then I inflate all the way.

I have had tubes explode like that. ears ringing. it happens

Mark McM
09-04-2015, 12:58 PM
still ringing in the ears ;)

If there was a loud bang, the tube blew outside of the containment of the tire/rim*. If the tire & rim are intact, this makes a tube being pinched between tire and rim the most likely culprit.

*The loud bang heard on tire bursting is due to a rapid expansion of air. The Tire/rim act as the pressure containment vessel, and the tube only acts as seal for the seams between the tire/tube/rim strip. Therefore, if the tire & rim (and the connection between them) aren't compromised, there will be no loud bang, at best there will be hissing sound as air escapes through a seam.

one60
09-04-2015, 01:59 PM
from the Schwalbe website FAQ...

All tubes are inflated and stored for 24 hours to test for air retention. Afterwards, every tube is carefully checked individually by visual inspection.

While the above doesn't guarantee 100% defect free, its likely more than many tube manufacturers do...

etu
09-04-2015, 09:04 PM
If there was a loud bang, the tube blew outside of the containment of the tire/rim*. If the tire & rim are intact, this makes a tube being pinched between tire and rim the most likely culprit.

*The loud bang heard on tire bursting is due to a rapid expansion of air. The Tire/rim act as the pressure containment vessel, and the tube only acts as seal for the seams between the tire/tube/rim strip. Therefore, if the tire & rim (and the connection between them) aren't compromised, there will be no loud bang, at best there will be hissing sound as air escapes through a seam.

I think the OP's assumption that it was too close to the valve stem to have been pinched is arguable. From the picture, the area of puncture seems far enough away to have been twisted and caught in the bead of the tire.

Louis
09-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Better that than this:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGqy3jo3KsR9UAV0xWWfaKzwxNd7Q6F E5KZHMfFtvsxmldjX7bOA

Muffin Man
09-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Chalk it up to "Chit Happens".

Dumb question: Isn't the Schwalbe a tubless tire? Would the tube and tire pressure combo be an issue?

Schwalbe One has a regular clincher version that uses tubes, and a tubeless version.