PDA

View Full Version : kid hauling bikes

flydhest
09-03-2015, 10:15 AM
So, we put less than 5K miles on our car a year (one car, family of 4) because we live in the middle of Washington, DC. Both my wife and I bike to work, me 90 percent of the time, her 75 percent of the time.

I have taken my daughter to preschool by kid-bikeseat. She is now walked to the school two blocks away, but my son is at the prior preschool. There will be times, like when one of us travels, though, that both kids will be taken by one parent. We have a Burley double trailer, but that can be cumbersome getting in and out of the basement (no garage). We are thinking of a kid-hauling bike, likely either the Extracycle Edgerunner or the Yuba. There are potentially other choices (Dutch company Workcycle or Surly's Big Dummy) but local stores tend to have the first two in stock.

Kid hauling bike seems easier to maneuver as well when one or the other of us gets to work. For reference, I have to have a bomb-sniffing dog go over my bike. Seriously.

Anyone with thoughts? Kids are almost 3 and almost 5.

wombatspeed
09-03-2015, 10:27 AM
this is pretty much exactly the reason why we got a Big Dummy a few years ago. One of the best cycling purchases ever.

Now that the kids mostly ride their own bikes the BD is still a great way to grocery shop. Get the wide-loaders and you can fit a whole grocery cart.

Do it!

93legendti
09-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Sorry, not what you're looking for, but:

I picked up my kids from pre school many times with the double burley. I think it is the best solution. Ours folded flat very quickly. If you can't keep it upstairs when it is folded, I'd consider a lockable shed. The Burley is safe, packed with kid friendly features and fun.

gregj
09-03-2015, 11:58 AM
We have an Xtracycle attached to an old MTB, and I have to say it is a very useful and maneuverable machine. I'm not sure about dragging it from a basement (we keep ours in the garage), but it handles great, and you can barely feel the weight or the passengers. I still take my 8 y.o. on it from time to time.

So I would highly recommend any of the longtails, whether the Xtracycle, Yuba, Big Dummy, or just the Xtracycle attachment.

christian
09-03-2015, 01:47 PM
I am sure longtails are great for "hauling" kids, but they will never be your favorite bike. What will? A used tandem with a kidback kit! I think a tandem will be lighter than a longtail, too. And you'll be able to enjoy it for years. It won't just be a temporary solution for kinderportage.

Add a rack for the kid seat and some panniers, and I think you've got a great solution for commuting and weekend fun. I ride mine solo when I drop the kids off at stuff. Other than the inevitable "Where's the other guy?" comments, and a bit of weight on the hills, it rides fine.

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/tandem/IMG_2087.JPG

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/tandem/IMG_2270.JPG

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/tandem/IMG_2881.JPG

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/tandem/IMG_2114.JPG

weisan
09-03-2015, 01:51 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GLZQUr4QZFk/U0XKRxzQMfI/AAAAAAAABg8/yIMzMPST7Co/s1600/kids-Edgerunner.jpg

binouye
09-03-2015, 02:31 PM
+1 for a tandem. After taking our kid to (pre)school first in a kid seat, then a trailer, and then a Weehoo recument tagalong, for kindergarten last year (a different school, 7.5 miles one way) we got a used Co-Motion Periscope. We both like it a lot, and use it for weekend rides as well as commuting. After dropping off the kid I ride it to work, another 4 miles, and it handles fine with panniers but no passenger in back. On a single bike our 6 year old will ride up to about 10 miles. On the tandem we can go for 30 or 35 (with breaks for snacks or play time of course).

Caveat: I haven't tried a cargo bike, but know other parents who use them with kids and like them. I suspect it would be lots of fun too, more than the Burley.

wombatspeed
09-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Ok,.to follow up my Big Dummy recommendation:

Tandems are great, too. Both of our kids started stoking before they were three. If you just need to go somewhere with ONE kid, and not do shopping they can be all you need.(but the BD helps to go car free or car light much more than a tandem)

Plus, For two kids per adult you would need a triplet...!

Still, i love taking the kids out on the road tandem - and even more so on the 29er Fandango 😃

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

sashae
09-03-2015, 03:36 PM
I've done both the tandem and the Big Dummy, and love both solutions. As an urban rider, I'd probably stick with the Dummy since it's more pragmatic as a solo bike. GREAT, great bikes... so much fun to ride, plus monster truck level cargo hauling. It's awesome.

flydhest
09-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks. Keep thoughts coming. I plan to get a tandem at some point, but doing it with an extra kid seat seems less obvious. Will do some more digging on that, though.

--Edit--
So, we pulled the trigger on an Extracycle Edgerunner. The D30. Choice was informed as much by what was in stock. Evidently, all producers of these work bikes have seen a surge in demand. Should be ready next week.

Used the Burley today again to take the boy to school. Works fine, but it will definitely be much more of a hassle for the wife of she has to solo the kids. It is kept in the basement, collapsed with wheels off. Has to come out of the door to the sidewalk. Row house in the middle of DC, so somewhat tight. We'll see.