PDA

View Full Version : repainting issue

alembical
03-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Not sure if anyone else is considerning getting their Serotta's repainted, or if everyone just knows this, but I just found out that having someone else repaint a Serotta (JB, Acme....) voids the warranty. This does not matter to me, as I bought the bike used, but this seemed strange to me. Any idea why (besides the fact that Serotta wants you to pay them $700 for a standard color paint job)?

Alembical

Tom
03-26-2004, 10:37 AM
A Makita body grinder might not be the best way to do it.

You sure it's $700?

alembical
03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
The $700 is the fee I was quoted for a Indy paint scheme with the Standard colors. I guess I understand the concern with how the paint is stripped, but assuming the painting was done by a reputbale painter, it just seems strange. Oh well, the point is really moot as I had no warranty to begin with.

Alembical

BumbleBeeDave
03-26-2004, 10:44 AM
. . . about the cost because his beloved (insert affectionate bike name here, since he refuses to come up with one!) is up there right now for repaint and they are charging HIM $1000! :eek:

BBDave

alembical
03-26-2004, 10:51 AM
I would hate to see the cost of an inferno paint scheme with the specialty colors (or whatever the non-standard colors are called) with the metal head tube badge and a painted carbon fork.

Alembical

The $700 fee I was quoted did not include a carbon fork (but a steel fork, which I guess is much easier to paint, or at least strip) and they would not do my Salsa Stem.

alembical
03-26-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't mean to sound too negative, as they do a real good job, but the dealy and cost mean that at the very least, other alternatives need to be considered. Then again, Serotta is not really in the repainting business and they make the decals easy to order.

Alembical

Bruce K
03-26-2004, 11:00 AM
When I had my Concours and F1Ti repainted it cost a lot less than $700.

I guess the Owner's Club Membership has its advantages and value.

Bruce

Too Tall
03-26-2004, 12:09 PM
You guys have paint? When I was going to school we had to rub red clay on our bikes to get eny kolor.

(blink) Really? $700?

djg
03-26-2004, 12:20 PM
As I'd bought the frame used, the warranty just wasn't a concern. I think that I was quoted 300 bucks for a single color (plus prep, decals, etc.) on the frame only. Adding the fork and panels and things started to escalate.

I'm sure they do a great job and I'm sure it's worth it for many folks. But I sent mine to another frame builder, who did a very nice job--prep, paint, contrasting color panel, contrasting head tube, prep and paint carbon fork to match, Serotta decals, plus clear, and the whole thing came to just under 300 bucks, with return shipping included.

rePhil
03-26-2004, 08:24 PM
My Canadian builder just repainted my (his) frame in a single color for $140. It seems to make sense that he wants even their older frames to look good.
While it can't compare to a Joe Bell etc.It came back looking as good as new.

shinomaster
03-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Its just to do precisely that. If a painter over-sandblasted an area or used some crazy chemical that they should not, then maybe serotta should fear a warrenty claim, as it would not be their fault. A good painter like ACME wouldnt do anything that stupid. Also you can get a new (used) serotta for $700. SO what is there to worry about??

gt6267a
03-27-2004, 09:54 AM
when thinking about repainting a used frame i called serotta. the quote was just about $415 for the frame and fork. one color including decals.