PDA

View Full Version : Routes (and things to do) in Palm Springs, CA?

ANAO
09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Just booked tickets for President's weekend in February (I know, very early - they're dirt cheap right now) and wondering if it makes sense to bring the bike. I think that we'll be in the middle of some amazing climbs there (based on what I hear about the hiking in the area).

Not excactly set on where we'll be staying yet, but maybe venturing over to SD or Venice beach for a day or 2.

So, bring the bike? And what else should we check off our list while we're there?

TIA for the tips.

ptourkin
09-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Bring it and visit the scene of some Tour of California devastation:

http://www.toughascent.com/blog/2010/07/17/palm-springs-tramway-road-climb-to-palm-springs-aerial-tramway/

Rogue Cycles
09-02-2015, 05:13 PM
I would recommend Joshua Tree as a must see in the area. Also, there are some nice hot springs to soak your body in when you finish those nice climbs. Palm springs itself is pretty flat, but there are some "hills" in the area.

Eat a good meal there too, riding, Joshua tree, good food, nice climate in february, good call.

fogrider
09-02-2015, 05:30 PM
you can always go on strava and search segments in the area and see what you get. good luck!

mhespenheide
09-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Honestly? If you're only there for a few days, I wouldn't.

I used to live in Idyllwild, CA, (in the mountains above Palm Springs), and never found PSP to be a bike destination. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The "best" road to ride would be 74 up and out of Palm Desert, but it's quite narrow and the cars take it too fast to be all that safe to ride unless you luck into a period when there's no traffic.

If I were headed there on vacation, I'd leave it behind and do some other activities instead. I'd hike the Indian Canyons, hit Joshua Tree and the Cottonwood Oasis, maybe Anza Borrego, maybe "ladder canyon" out by Mecca. If you get tired of the warm weather, take the tram up into the mountains (possibly snowshoeing depending).

Just my opinion. If I lived there, I'd absolutely own and ride a bike, but I wouldn't think of it as a destination.

If we get another mild winter and you want to do some mountain biking, contact Brendan or Mary at the Hub in Idyllwild and ask about riding in some of the trails nearby.

Ken Robb
09-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Honestly? ).

Just my opinion. If I lived there, I'd absolutely own and ride a bike, but I wouldn't think of it as a destination.

If we get another mild winter and you want to do some mountain biking, contact Brendan or Mary at the Hub in Idyllwild and ask about riding in some of the trails nearby.

Did B+M own the shop in town and used to build frames until last year? Leslie and I chatted with her a year ago last April when we stayed there for a few days at Quiet Creek Inn. We got a little snow for two days.

I agree that it wouldn't be worth shipping a bike across country because there are better things to do than ride. The weather gurus are predicting a wet winter for California so I suggest renting bikes if you feel like a ride after you arrive.

Check flights to San Diego, Orange County, Ontario and LAX to compare prices and ease of side trips/extra stops besides Palm Springs.

rccardr
09-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Mrs. Doc and I went there for the Tour de Palm Springs in February, loved it and found us a nice boutique hotel room for two weeks this upcoming February. Then they went and changed the date for the TdPS so I might fly out a couple weeks ahead of time with the bike for the Tour and leave the bike with a friend until we return in February. Really enjoyed the riding and so nice to have some heat in the middle of the winter. Not super challenging in terms of elevation, but certainly pretty riding...

mhespenheide
09-03-2015, 12:22 AM
Did B+M own the shop in town and used to build frames until last year? Leslie and I chatted with her a year ago last April when we stayed there for a few days at Quiet Creek Inn. We got a little snow for two days.

Brendan sold the rights and equipment for Siren bicycles a few years ago; they've been running the shop up there for a little longer than that. They're good people. Mary's best known as the first woman to race the Tour Divide, but super down to Earth, too.

beeatnik
09-03-2015, 01:07 AM
Honestly? If you're only there for a few days, I wouldn't.

I used to live in Idyllwild, CA, (in the mountains above Palm Springs), and never found PSP to be a bike destination. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The "best" road to ride would be 74 up and out of Palm Desert, but it's quite narrow and the cars take it too fast to be all that safe to ride unless you luck into a period when there's no traffic.

If I were headed there on vacation, I'd leave it behind and do some other activities instead. I'd hike the Indian Canyons, hit Joshua Tree and the Cottonwood Oasis, maybe Anza Borrego, maybe "ladder canyon" out by Mecca. If you get tired of the warm weather, take the tram up into the mountains (possibly snowshoeing depending).

Yep, if you like wind and mind-numbing landscapes ride the Coachella Valley. Also, even though you'll be there in winter, there's a 50/50 chance you'll get 90 degree days. Just play golf.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5755/20916900840_a2a9363a85_o.jpg

SoCalSteve
09-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Architecture...lots of it from the 50's. If you like that kind of stuff. There is an iPad app that gives you guided tours, videos, etc. Enjoy!