PDA

View Full Version : D2 or R7 or ? for 'Cross Shoes?

Dr. Doofus
05-11-2006, 08:04 PM
doof's foot woes are well-documented here

was filling out the R7 order form online when doof noticed they don't cover 'cross use under warranty for their mtb shoes

so

you 'cross nuts

if a guy needs custom shoes, what's the best option for 'cross? D2? R7? Somebody else?

e-RICHIE
05-11-2006, 08:11 PM
doof's foot woes are well-documented here

was filling out the R7 order form online when doof noticed they don't cover 'cross use under warranty for their mtb shoes

so

you 'cross nuts

if a guy needs custom shoes, what's the best option for 'cross? D2? R7? Somebody else?

if you get custom made 'cross shoes
you are making too much money atmo.

Dr. Doofus
05-11-2006, 08:13 PM
if you get custom made 'cross shoes
you are making too much money atmo.

so just go with custom inserts and live with the cleats being a little off?

e-RICHIE
05-11-2006, 08:15 PM

in 'cross a little off is a tight tolerance.
a veritable 3mm atmo.

Dr. Doofus
05-11-2006, 08:19 PM
here's the dilemma ritchie-san:

size 45 shoes: toes tight, heel cup right, cleats about 5-7mm too far back

size 45.5/46 shoes: toes right, heel cup loose (slippin while runnin and gettin outta the saddle), cleats right

so what's the ER call?

Grant McLean
05-11-2006, 08:20 PM

go big or go home!

-g

e-RICHIE
05-11-2006, 08:20 PM

size 45.5/46 shoes: toes right, heel cup loose (slippin while runnin and gettin outta the saddle), cleats right

so what's the ER call?

the NFL on CBS atmo

Dr. Doofus
05-11-2006, 08:24 PM
the NFL on CBS atmo

this is no time for cleverness, bro

yer sayin just crapcan the whole idea of racin 'cross cause of the wack feet?

Grant McLean
05-11-2006, 08:26 PM

order the shoes. atmo

g

e-RICHIE
05-11-2006, 08:30 PM

earth to doof
your sense of humor called and wants to return atmo.
i tm-ed your sitch to dr. joy and she agrees that big
fit are indicative of - well never mind, we knew that
already. imHO you have yourself a major reason
to imbibe heavliy. if you can resist that, based on what
you say here, get the custom shoes.
i've had 2 pair of lamsons and 1 pair of rockets. they
pay me the big bucks you, but i digress. all three fit
perfectly, yet i sent the rockets back 2-3 time before
they were dialed it.
you want all that on the telestrater?

Dr. Doofus
05-11-2006, 08:35 PM
earth to doof
your sense of humor called and wants to return atmo.
i tm-ed your sitch to dr. joy and she agrees that big
fit are indicative of - well never mind, we knew that
already. imHO you have yourself a major reason
to imbibe heavliy. if you can resist that, based on what
you say here, get the custom shoes.
i've had 2 pair of lamsons and 1 pair of rockets. they
pay me the big bucks you, but i digress. all three fit
perfectly, yet i sent the rockets back 2-3 time before
they were dialed it.
you want all that on the telestrater?

dude

grok the humor deficit alert, roger that

yagottaunnastand

ref what doof did innispants at work yessrday, yo

not exactly runnin at full steam

did an hour on the cross anyway today

doof is just not runnin on full doof power atmo

thanks for the advice

(doof has no compunction about spendin 500 bucks on shoes to ride his 400 buck fuji cross with, if it means the cleats is right and the knees don't wiggle cause his arches is collapsin)

coylifut
05-11-2006, 10:04 PM
keep in mind that you want a little flex to the sole of your cross shoes especially if running is your strength. super stiff wont grab on steep run ups and 50 meter sand pits.

I'd go the custom insole if I could. $450 seems a bit much for an hour race.

Argos
05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Hmmm. It's a little cold during cross so how about the 45.5 with inserts and thicker socks? :beer:

weiwentg
05-12-2006, 06:13 AM

they cover their MTB shoes under warranty for use while mountain-biking, but not for cross? are they insane?

stevep
05-12-2006, 06:30 AM
too much runnng in cross.
that shiite gets beat to shiite

Dr. Doofus
05-12-2006, 06:44 AM
they cover their MTB shoes under warranty for use while mountain-biking, but not for cross? are they insane?

so you run over some pebbles and your carbon is all to sheeyat

if you are a manufacturer, you think you're going to warranty for that application? crazy.

R7 is smart.

Doof is kinda back to the drawing board here....

jerk
05-12-2006, 08:28 AM
dude-
who cares? the race lasts one hour (probably half an hour in your case). get some cheap shoes, put the cleats in the right place with an x-acto knife to the sole (kind of like catholic school) and you're done.

you are full of it if you think your heel is slipping up when you're pedalling. the whole pedal tilts forward if you try to lift your heel....bike shoes don't even really need heel cups...but the jerk digresses.

get some high top winter mtb shoes that every shop has on closeout right now for 80 bucks and be done with it. if they're a bit too tight in the toe box go inspect the state of your local economy and take them to THE COBBLER if he's doing well get out of the stock market and put your money in gold...but have him stretch your shoes first.

jerk

Dr. Doofus
05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
dude-
who cares? the race lasts one hour (probably half an hour in your case). get some cheap shoes, put the cleats in the right place with an x-acto knife to the sole (kind of like catholic school) and you're done.

you are full of it if you think your heel is slipping up when you're pedalling. the whole pedal tilts forward if you try to lift your heel....bike shoes don't even really need heel cups...but the jerk digresses.

jerk

shoe carving -- now doof likes that

jerkpal -- doof said heel slipping out when unning and on the *upstroke* out of the saddle...not while pedaling down bro...that's impossible...doof is a wack job but he knows when his damn heel is coming out of the shoe

chrisroph
05-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Doof--

Sell the cross bike, put the money in platinum and ride the road bike. Why would anybody want to jump off a perfectly good bike?

Dr. Doofus
05-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Doof--

Sell the cross bike, put the money in platinum and ride the road bike. Why would anybody want to jump off a perfectly good bike?

that 'cross bike is worth maybe 200 bucks now

all good feedback, as usual. doof just wants to fix it an be done with it. and guys, yeah, its only a 45 minute race, but what doof wants to get right is being able to ride the thing for 90 minutes in training without foot or knee problems. eff ya'll if you have somethin to say about that. you're not the owner of 2 foot and seven knee operations. if the arches aren't stable and the cleats are wack, doof feels it the next day.

chrisroph
05-12-2006, 10:10 AM
that 'cross bike is worth maybe 200 bucks now

all good feedback, as usual. doof just wants to fix it an be done with it. and guys, yeah, its only a 45 minute race, but what doof wants to get right is being able to ride the thing for 90 minutes in training without foot or knee problems. eff ya'll if you have somethin to say about that. you're not the owner of 2 foot and seven knee operations. if the arches aren't stable and the cleats are wack, doof feels it the next day.

Seriously, it is of course vital to have your feet properly supported and to have the cleats in exactly the right place. I would first look to custom footbeds and whatever mods are necessary to make off the shelf shoes fit properly and allow you to position the cleats properly. However, that's my bias because it works for me. Different shoes vary in how they fit and where the cleats may be mounted. I've bought and abandoned or given away many pairs of shoes because they didn't fit right or I couldn't get the cleats in the right place. I'm a big fan of professionally made footbeds. Once you get them right, and it usually takes a lot of tweaking, you can move them from shoe to shoe, such as from your road shoes to your cross/mtn bike shoes. If necessary and you feel comfortable doing so, which you obviously do, get a custom pair of shoes. It's worth the $$$$ to get the foot/pedal interface perfect because it needs to be perfect or you will ride poorly and in pain.

jerk
05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
shoe carving -- now doof likes that

jerkpal -- doof said heel slipping out when unning and on the *upstroke* out of the saddle...not while pedaling down bro...that's impossible...doof is a wack job but he knows when his damn heel is coming out of the shoe

any motion even on the upstroke that would cause the heel to lift up and out of the shoe would cause the pedal to rotate forward. as long as there is no slop front to back the heel cup is irrelevent on the bike.

jerk

93legendti
05-12-2006, 11:54 AM

so what's the ER call?

Try a different shoe manufacturer; get orthotics; experiment with sock thickness; be thankfull NC isn't socked in with rain--like we have been for the 3rd day in a row (with 2 more days of rain on the way).

coylifut
05-12-2006, 12:35 PM
After jerk's write up on the R7s I was all hot on getting a pair and then it occured to me that even though my shoes are worn out I don't need custom. My feet NEVER hurt and I'm riding a pair of 4 year old Sidi Genius and the insoles have been worn paper thin. However, I think I'll go get some footbeds to replace the insoles.

Dr. Doofus
05-12-2006, 01:45 PM
as long as there is no slop front to back the heel cup is irrelevent on the bike.

jerk

that's why doof's heel slips yo -- 45 too small...45.5 just big enough to have slop

Roy E. Munson
05-12-2006, 01:51 PM
45 too small...45.5 just big enough to have slop

And you've tried different brands to accomodate for different fits?

e-RICHIE
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
that's why doof's heel slips yo -- 45 too small...45.5 just big enough to have slop

why can't you get a dealer to break a
pair - and i don't mean "break your pair".
i'm sure with some explaining you can find
someone who understands that one side is
lower than the other. get one 45 and one 45.5

Dr. Doofus
05-12-2006, 02:18 PM
And you've tried different brands to accomodate for different fits?

adidas shoes are the best option -- tried shimano and sidi but they didn't feel right

adidas size 45, some custom insoles, and an x-acto...sounds like a plan

stevep
05-12-2006, 04:04 PM
why can't you get a dealer to break a
pair - and i don't mean "break your pair".
i'm sure with some explaining you can find
someone who understands that one side is
lower than the other. get one 45 and one 45.5

buy both pairs and YOU find the other guy that wants 'em.

chrisroph
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
adidas shoes are the best option -- tried shimano and sidi but they didn't feel right

adidas size 45, some custom insoles, and an x-acto...sounds like a plan

Now you're talking sense. But, you need to try on the shoes with the custom insoles because they'll probably change the fit.