PDA

View Full Version : CX Disc Reccomendations

r_mutt
09-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Hello all-

i'm building up a used Stevens Superprestige disc frame for CX and i'd love to hear recommendations for a disc set up. i am a Campagnolo rider with 3 bikes on Campagnolo, but I'm not adverse to trying Shimano - especially since Shimano has an Ultegra level hydraulic set up.

What's out there for Campagnolo users?

How about a cheap disc hub recommendation for Campagnolo/Shimano as well?

Thanks gents.

:banana:

eBAUMANN
09-01-2015, 09:13 AM
For campy - trp spyre mechanical
For shimano - shimano hydro (mech or di2)

If 11 speed, you are better off buying a shimano/SRAM-11 freehub wheelset and using a shimano cassette, even if riding a campy drivetrain. Cheaper cassettes and easier to resell later if needed.

Wheel options are vast. I'm partial to DT hubs but if you are on a budget the "China-carbon" options from farsports or lightbicycle can be mighty tempting.

crankles
09-01-2015, 11:25 AM
+1 what eBaumann says.

If you are coming from the roadie side of things, the trps will feel way better than the cantis. If you are coming from the mtb side of things and are already use to real hydro, the trps are a little disappointing in comparison. I went shimano hydro since they are my preferred go-to mtb brake (until formula comes out with a road hydro caliper ;-)

mistermo
09-01-2015, 11:30 AM

Why is spyre the preferred choice over hy/rd?

ColnagoFan
09-01-2015, 11:32 AM
For shimano - shimano hydro (mech or di2)

If 11 speed, you are better off buying a shimano/SRAM-11 freehub wheelset and using a shimano cassette, even if riding a campy drivetrain. Cheaper cassettes and easier to resell later if needed.

Wheel options are vast. I'm partial to DT hubs but if you are on a budget the "China-carbon" options from farsports or lightbicycle can be mighty tempting.

Another vote for the Shimano hydro setup.
I did enjoy riding the SRAM 1X setups too, depending on if you want two chainrings or not. Could be another option...

crankles
09-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Why is spyre the preferred choice over hy/rd?

my bad. didnt read close enough...I prefer the hy/rd over spyre for sure. not a fan of mechanical discs.

eBAUMANN
09-01-2015, 11:43 AM
my bad. didnt read close enough...I prefer the hy/rd over spyre for sure. not a fan of mechanical discs.

sure, hy/rd works too, better for a non-race bike though IMO...simpler (mech) can be better when you need to fix something thats suddenly gone haywire 20 minutes before the start.

vqdriver
09-01-2015, 12:44 PM
the spyres will be easier to set up with campy levers but don't feel nearly as good at the lever. i have a long winded post on this specific topic. it can be done with campy and hy/rd but requires a small mod to the calipers.

give em a call before committing. their customer service has been very very helpful, and they are aware of this setup for campy users.

morrisericd
09-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I've been riding Campy equipped bikes for a long time. I just purchased a Niner BSB with Di2 and Hydros (wahoo!). I only have about 100 miles on it so far but really like the setup. The hoods are comfortable, the Di2 is spot on and the hydros are pretty sweet. I spent a lot of time talking and looking around at different options and while it isn't cheap I really believe Di2 with the Shimano hydros are the best setup.

r_mutt
09-01-2015, 09:10 PM
thanks gents. i think i may dip my toe into the shimano pool with the 685.

:beer:

r_mutt
11-13-2015, 08:05 PM
as a follow up - what size discs are you shimano guys using with the hydros" the internet consensus says 140 front and back.

pdmtong
11-13-2015, 08:37 PM
as a follow up - what size discs are you shimano guys using with the hydros" the internet consensus says 140 front and back.

that's for safety so no one of the masses face plants.

go 160 f/r and learn to modulate, there will be a time when the bigger rotor will be appreciated.

eBAUMANN
11-13-2015, 09:17 PM
i lot of aftermarket forks can't run a 140 on the front.

i use 160 front and 140 rear, because I'm a special snowflake. :D

160 front and rear is generally the default/easiest way to go.

Ianus
11-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Avid BB7... :hello:

http://abload.de/img/img_0293zau4b.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_0293zau4b.jpg)

fatallightning
11-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm also a Campy 4 lyfe kind of guy, but my desire for hydro disc overcame that for my cross bike. I personally find the Sram hydro levers to have a shift feel closer to Campy. Nice mechanical feel, clearer detents, less dead travel. Coming from Campy, I find Shimano shifters to be too light in terms of shift feel, and too much dead travel before things start happening. In terms of mnemonics, I think Sram ergos transitions easier as well. I'm running Rival 1 on my cross bike with no complaints.

crankles
11-16-2015, 10:56 AM
I too am running a 160/140 spit so does that make me more special or eBAUM less so ;-)

I agree with pmtong and ebaum,,,

if you have the choice, I'd go 160 all around especially if it's not a pure race rig

i lot of aftermarket forks can't run a 140 on the front.

i use 160 front and 140 rear, because I'm a special snowflake. :D

160 front and rear is generally the default/easiest way to go.

r_mutt
11-16-2015, 12:24 PM
does running 140 in the rear present some difficulties?

the back is much easier to lock up than the front so it makes sense to rub a 140 rear, but if it's a problem, i'd just deal with 160/160.

ColnagoFan
11-16-2015, 12:34 PM

Shimano only says 140 f/r when you use their special icetech rotors and hydraulic discs. I think SRAM is saying 160 for both. That said, for mechanical, I'd do a 160 on both ends for a road bike, and probably drop to a 140r for a CX race bike...but that's just me. It might vary by size of the rider... ;)

d_douglas
11-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Howzabout these:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=176505

This may not hit your budget, but they're bling and nearly new. If you have a 32h 29er wheelset that can be used with 11spd, I am open to trades!

r_mutt
11-16-2015, 07:03 PM
thanks but i'm going with the shimano and shimano icetech rotors so i need center lock hubs. that is a nice wheel set though.

if i go the icetech route with shimano rs685 shifters and shimano brakes, can i go 160 ft and back with no worries?