PDA

View Full Version : Auction fever!

jpw
03-26-2004, 10:03 AM
This auction thing sounds very tempting. The fear is that i might get carried away in all the excitement. "..no retractions...". Damn. This is serious stuff. I'll go talk to my bank manager.

Blastinbob
03-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Too bad they don't have anything to offer in my size. :crap: ........maybe I could stretch out on one of those 57 cm ottrott's :no: :no: :no:

va rider
03-26-2004, 12:06 PM
You mean the auction is serious. I thought it was a joke.

It is kind of like a private sale for forum members. Anybody know the top tube length for the 57cm Ottrott 03 standard geometry?

jpw
03-26-2004, 12:40 PM
You could have that $10,000 operation and then buy the $800 Ottrott. Maybe not.
Yep, it's a bit frustrating being either just too big or small for what they have on offer. Being average is no fun.

rnhood
03-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I wish they would do this more often. And I agree, it's too bad there is nothing in the larger sizes. It's discrimination.

Kevin
03-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Count me in. What a great idea.

Kevin

Lucky
03-26-2004, 04:04 PM
How do Serotta's dealers feel about having to compete with their supplier? If I was a dealer and lost a sale because my supplier was selling product below my cost I would be really upset. Maybe Serotta should quit selling thru authorized dealers and begin selling direct? It seems that they are heading that direction.

dave thompson
03-26-2004, 04:20 PM
How do Serotta's dealers feel about having to compete with their supplier? If I was a dealer and lost a sale because my supplier was selling product below my cost I would be really upset. Maybe Serotta should quit selling thru authorized dealers and begin selling direct? It seems that they are heading that direction.
I believe you have to pay for and receive these Serottas through an authorized dealer. They are not sold direct to the consumer. Right at the top of Serottas Frame and Fork Only Specials page is: "Please visit your Serotta dealer for size consultation or to place an order."

Lucky
03-26-2004, 04:38 PM
If so that would make a little more sense.

Kevin
03-26-2004, 04:49 PM
$1,000,000 for the Queen Bee.

Kevin

EPOJoe
03-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Anyone have any idea what condition these bikes are in? I imagine a demo fleet could take a fair amount of abuse in travel.

Smiley
03-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Not all these frames were demo. How about the 59 cm CSI with 650 wheels. Who'll bid on that bad boy. You say deal and people will buy it just because its a DEAL, right :banana:

gt6267a
03-26-2004, 06:29 PM
these same bicycles have been on sale for some time through serotta directly. i suspect they are excess inventory and they must have some arrangement with the dealers to unload them.

i suspect there are stories behind these frames. for example: the original purchaser backed out ... a mistake was made and they made a tt larger than ordered ... they made 2 thinking someone might buy the same bike ...

jpw
03-27-2004, 05:01 AM
It would be better if Serotta provided a brief bio of each frame and a photo. This would be helpful to prospective buyers and increase the probability of Serotta making the sale, which is their intention one assumes. People are naturally cautious about what at the moment is in effect a partially sighted/blind bidding process. More information is required.

I'm sure in the past Serotta have published photographs of blowout frames and bikes on the website. Wouldn't take too much effort, would it? Or am i being...er, unreasonable?

Kevin
03-27-2004, 05:11 AM
A silent and blind auction will keep the prices down. The successful bidders may get a real steal. I hope that Serotta posts the winning bids. That way when I lose by a dollar I can :crap:

Kevin

jpw
03-27-2004, 05:30 AM
I'm not quibbling about the value of bids placed being blind. It's that i can't see very clearly what it is that i'm being given the opportunity to blind bid on.
I don't want to become the proud owner of... a donkey.
I don't (well, secretly i do) want to know what others have bid for a frame. I just want to know more about what i'm bidding for.

Really the choice is v.limited. Only one or maybe two frames worth thinking about for my size.

mso
03-27-2004, 08:38 AM
What is preventing Serotta from actually accepting the highest bid if it's lower than they really want to sell the bike for? What I'm saying is, will they really sell and Ottrott for $850.00 if thats the highest bid?

jpw
03-27-2004, 01:55 PM
In my world something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If nobody wants it it's worthless, in a monetary sense. The auction process is designed to squeeze out every last dollar of value.

I wonder what the next tactic will be for any frame not sold in this auction?

Cut it up and throw it away perhaps?