PDA

View Full Version : bicyclist(?) behaving badly

etu
08-31-2015, 07:45 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Critical-Mass-event-turns-ugly-in-the-Marina-6475879.php
:crap:

jtakeda
08-31-2015, 08:10 PM
ugh.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemy. It's really a shame that these type of people are who motorists remember when they drive in their cars.

They don't remember the many bikes who signaled and stop at the stop sign, they remember these idiots and associate US with them.

F150
08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
Love the police statement, lack of a complaint = no attempt to find the prick that rode up to the front bumper of a stationary vehicle, starts squealing about something that did not happen then proceeds to destroy property? I hope like hell this cat and I never cross paths...

Geeheeb
08-31-2015, 08:47 PM
well i had a job were i would get in trouble if i fixed a computer without a trouble ticket, and i wasn't even in a union like a cop.

dave thompson
08-31-2015, 08:53 PM
well i had a job were i would get in trouble if i fixed a computer without a trouble ticket, and i wasn't even in a union like a cop.

What?

JAllen
08-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Critical mass is a tinderbox.

Such a-holes!

dpk501
08-31-2015, 10:40 PM
Total mob A-Holes.

take the license and let the cops deal.

Critical mass sucks ass

Black Dog
09-01-2015, 07:05 AM
From the police:

"If a victim does not file a report, there is no crime that we can charge the person with, Officer Albie Esparza, a San Francisco police spokesman, said Monday. The person needs to file a report for an investigation to be initiated."

So, if a murder takes place and no one files a report it is not a crime? Nice logic; if there is no report there is no crime. :rolleyes:

54ny77
09-01-2015, 07:41 AM
critical mass in s.f. is a joke. last i saw it was a few years ago, and what i saw was a bunch of idiots on bikes looking for a fight. far, far cry from what it used to be when i lived there ~20 years ago.

that dude with u-lock is as much a thug as those a-holes in nyc on motocycles who terrorized and beat the crap out of a guy in his suv last year. sure, pick on someone in a little car who's afraid to come out. big man, smashing a car with a u-lock.

bcroslin
09-01-2015, 07:52 AM
man, I really wish the mods would sink threads like this.

we all get it. there are crappy people in this world and some of them ride bikes. can't we stick with the good stuff about cycling around here? :)

oldpotatoe
09-01-2015, 08:05 AM
From the police:

"If a victim does not file a report, there is no crime that we can charge the person with, Officer Albie Esparza, a San Francisco police spokesman, said Monday. The person needs to file a report for an investigation to be initiated."

So, if a murder takes place and no one files a report it is not a crime? Nice logic; if there is no report there is no crime. :rolleyes:

No, there is a crime but a report, unless the act is observed by police, initiates an investigation. I would think the video could be used to start an investigation..and it would be pretty easy to find some of these asshatts.

And for right above, this thread isn't about 'cycling', it's about some thugs, who happen to be on bikes.

unterhausen
09-01-2015, 08:53 AM

we all get it. there are crappy people in this world and some of them ride bikes. can't we stick with the good stuff about cycling around here? :)

where's my like button?

Although I have to say that there is a reason I keep my u-lock inside my bag. Friday was a horrible day to ride bikes around here, the students are just back, don't have enough homework to keep them busy yet, and their stupid friends come to visit. I might have to take the upcoming friday off as well.

rugbysecondrow
09-01-2015, 11:10 AM

Not all roses and sunshine homey. This is a bike forum, not sure what there is to "sink" about this.

ultraman6970
09-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Never been in a critical mass but from what I can see is just a bunch of guys at night riding the where ever they want to ride the bike???

From what I can tell a guy just went in front of the car and lay the bike down on the floor, to stop the car... ok I see the point but why to do such a dumb thing? Wasnt easier just let the car go? Besides the bike riders were riding against the traffic too? Not clear if there was a traffic light to turn left or something.

No wonder Trump dont like us :D

JAllen
09-01-2015, 01:03 PM
No wonder Trump dont like us :D

Haha! Bcroslin might get his wish for a thread lock!

:p

Brainbike
09-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Haven't they learned from the Range Rover vs. superbikes gang???? Nobody wins. Cyclists get a further bad rap, motorists get further frustrated and angry with cyclists, and people get seriously hurt. It's only a matter of time before a skinny jeaned, critical "mass-hole" (sorry Massachusetts) stands in front of a real mother····er and gets killed. Pulling over a zip car Subaru in the Marina is hardly an act of courage, more like cowardice. Let's see critical mass hold up a brawler truck with a short tempered MMA guy who's had enough. Bodies will fall.

harrison
09-01-2015, 07:06 PM
yikes. awkward to watch, and their rage is weird and ineffectual, but it's hard to tell from the video whether the woman knowingly accelerated into the bicyclist crossing the street. and whether she was being malicious or just sort of incompetent. i can definitely empathize with the frustration of dealing with an unrepentant driver pulling some homicidal nonsense. regardless, she was going slowly and their anger is impotent and it's a massive overreaction to suddenly become the aggressor when you are surrounded by dozens of people witnessing the whole thing.

Elefantino
09-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Sometimes it's embarrassing to be a fellow human being...

oldpotatoe
09-02-2015, 06:14 AM
yikes. awkward to watch, and their rage is weird and ineffectual, but it's hard to tell from the video whether the woman knowingly accelerated into the bicyclist crossing the street. and whether she was being malicious or just sort of incompetent. i can definitely empathize with the frustration of dealing with an unrepentant driver pulling some homicidal nonsense. regardless, she was going slowly and their anger is impotent and it's a massive overreaction to suddenly become the aggressor when you are surrounded by dozens of people witnessing the whole thing.

These asshats are riding around looking for a fight. That one dic&hed found one. The buttnuggets around here on 'critical mass' rides do the same thing.

it's dumb by a bunch of dummies..

sitzmark
09-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Not just one ... world-wide these idiots create a disdain for cyclists and poison efforts to share the road responsibly. "It's not a protest because it is spontaneous and unorganized." Being spontaneously "unorganized" every last Friday of the month is how the rides circumvent laws that would shut them down or require permits and coordination with city/law enforcement officials.

These guys are lucky the driver didn't panic and feel threatened enough to run them over as she tried to get away. Others haven't been so lucky - either due to drivers feeling threatened or just enraged. There are many vids of the consequences from provoking confrontation - on the worst end of the scale....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/a_HWw8ifZcY

These asshats are riding around looking for a fight. That one dic&hed found one. The buttnuggets around here on 'critical mass' rides do the same thing.

it's dumb by a bunch of dummies..

malcolm
09-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Not the way to affect change.

Just hot heads and people that are angry for the sake of being angry looking for a fight.

I agree with a previous poster they are extremely lucky the lady in the car did not panic fearing bodily harm and truly run over a few of them.

As far as closing the thread goes. I can't imagine there is much more to say on the topic but why close it. If it were drivers misbehaving it would go for 20 pages. Can't have it both ways.

unterhausen
09-02-2015, 09:07 AM
These guys are lucky the driver didn't panic and feel threatened enough to run them over as she tried to get away.
that's what happened in Seattle a few years back, and I think their CM has gone away. There was a pretty effective protest in SF recently where everyone on a bike stopped at stop signs one at a time. And Portland has had protests recently because of how deadly certain crosswalks are. These are the kind of targeted protests that might actually make a difference. Tying up traffic for no reason like CM just reinforces people's incorrect vision that we are in thier way for no good reason.

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2015, 10:28 AM
If my wife was driving with the kids in the car, and some guys surround it and begin to yell at her, beat on the car, break the windows and threaten her...Yep, run them over and get the hell out of there.

Spdntrxi
09-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Anybody's does that to me.. You leaving on a stretcher or body bag. That cyclist was out of line..

Kobe
09-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Stop the planet, I want to get off.

This idiot was obviously trying to get the driver to hit him, when that fails he flails about like Bill Laimbeer. Guaranteed he will not show up for the next CM event.