PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh International

wdlewis
05-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I have a silver Raleigh International that is in excellent shape. Is it a "collector's item" or is it destined to be a dust collector?

dbrk
05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Both Internationals and Pros are already regarded as classics. British frames from this period (the Age of 531, we might call it) were generally better made than their French and Italian counterparts (of course, knowing this requires a hacksaw...). Look here for Sheldon Brown's views and information: http://retroraleighs.com/dating.html
Look here for further essentials: http://classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Raleigh/Raleigh_home.htm

dbr[aleighadmirer]k

Frankwurst
05-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I'd like to have it be a dust collector in my house! :beer:

Fixed
05-11-2006, 07:24 PM
bro old bikes and bike posters were art what happend today? use it and throw it away . i.m.h.o. here is a pic of my new work bike

Serotta PETE
05-11-2006, 07:29 PM
if it is a 57 or 58cm..................we are collecting them in Raleigh.

Ahneida Ride
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
How bout a 531 Raleigh Carton Competition Circa 1971 ?

PBWrench
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I love my '77 Pro. Sweeeeeet ride. How old is your Intl.?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3901&highlight=raleigh+professional

stevep
05-12-2006, 06:26 AM
when i started in this business in the early 70s the shop i worked at bought a huge pile of closeout raleigh international and raleigh pro complete bikes.
the internationals he bought for $150 each and the pros cost $200 as i recall.
he had in his basement stacks of each size in both models....like 25 sz 22", 20 sz 23", etc

always wondered what happened to all those bikes.

the "h" on my keyboard does not work unless i really punch it so i am attaching a bunch of extra hs so they can be placed back into prior emails now t()at i realize that i have been missing this letter.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh

sspielman
05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
when i started in this business in the early 70s the shop i worked at bought a huge pile of closeout raleigh international and raleigh pro complete bikes.
he had in his basement stacks of each size in both models....like 25 sz 22", 20 sz 23", etc

the "h" on my keyboard does not work unless i really punch it so i am attaching a bunch of extra hs so they can be placed back into prior emails now t()at i realize that i have been missing this letter.

There was a time period in the late 70's when alot of people would buy an International or a Professional just for the Campag Gruppo....because it was the cheapest way to get one then. Raleigh must have bought a boatload of Campag gruppos in the early 70's and were still using their inventory 6-7 years later. for this reason alone there are alot of stripped Professionals and Internationals around

stevep
05-12-2006, 07:04 AM
yeah,
the raleigh warehouse was in boston and moving to canton maybe?
hence the fire sale.

sspielman
05-12-2006, 07:11 AM
The bike shop in my hometown sold Raleighs in this time period. They sold quite a few Internationals that got the "tourist treatment" prior to sale....That is, they replaced the tubular wheels with clinchers and often replaced the Nuovo Record rear derailleur with a SunTour Cyclone and sometomes installed bar end shifters. While this was going on, the shop owner would sell me the tubulars that came on these bikes for $10 each....They were generally Clement Strada 66's from the Internationals and Criterium setas from the Pros.....So the 70's weren't ALL bad.....I would be tempted to wear polyester bellbottoms and a wide lapel leisure suit for that same deal....

stevep
05-12-2006, 07:41 AM
god love the strada 66s.
the best tubular ever imho.
smooth. light, straight, round...the current stuff is junk compared to these.
thanks for the reminder.

the setas took too much care but were premium also

davids
05-12-2006, 08:54 AM

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhere's some of mine, in case you run shhhhhhhhhort.

Elefantino
05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I have a silver Raleigh International that is in excellent shape. Is it a "collector's item" or is it destined to be a dust collector?

If it's the 25-inch frame, I'll let it collect dust in my bike closet.

Seriously. That was my first "real" bike. I still miss it. Stolen in 1986.

merckx
02-09-2007, 08:56 PM

I don't know how I found this thread, but......

In the early 70's I was in my very young teens and had started racing. Our local shop in CT must have taken advantage of the Raleigh glut. They had a bunch of Copper/Orange Internationals for sale at $300 clams each. I begged my mom to spring for one. No dice. I felt that pain for a long time, but I was happy racing on my Motobecane Grand Jubile. Those are very, very good memories.