PDA

View Full Version : POC Octal vs. Smith Overtake MIPS

rpm
08-31-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm looking to buy a new MIPS helmet and would like to hear experiences and advice about the POC Octal and the Smith Overtake. I haven't seen either locally, so I don't have any try-on experience with them.

Len J
08-31-2015, 02:55 PM
Not to thread jack, but as a Lazer Helium fan, I'd love any experiences with their MIPS version of the Helium in addition to the above.....

Especially in light of the ruined helmet from the recent "Hit from behind by a pickup truck doing 50"

Thanks

Len

mistermo
08-31-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm looking to buy a new MIPS helmet and would like to hear experiences and advice about the POC Octal and the Smith Overtake. I haven't seen either locally, so I don't have any try-on experience with them.

I've had both helmets in the non-MIPS version and sold them both for different reasons:

I couldn't warm to the look of the Octal. Seemed to bulbous. Also, I wear a size L in most brands, and the size L Octal was too big. The Smith Overtake I really liked and it fit well... except.... the honeycomb structure, or whatever they call it, seemed to create excessive wind noise. In group rides, I couldn't hear those around me well enough to participate in the conversation. I ended up with a Synthe (non MIPS again) and am happy. A Synthe MIPS just came out.

professerr
08-31-2015, 03:20 PM
I have the Octal MIPs. It fits narrower than other helmets I've tried, and the MIPs version fits differently from the regular Octal (the mips membrane seems to take up a tiny amount more of space). The adjustment mechanism in the helmet works well, but the straps seem slightly more prone to coming loose -- after a couple rides I'll notice I need to pull them taught again.

Other than that, it seems just like every other helmet I've had, albeit a bit lighter than some.

Mine is white and looks wise I don't think they really stand out one way or another, and only a few of the geekiest bike geeks seem to notice or inquire about it.

Idris Icabod
08-31-2015, 04:12 PM
I took a nasty header on the trails about 3 weeks ago and broke my Giro Xar in half, ended up in ER etc... I went out and started looking for a MIPS helmet, initially was going to get the POC Octal but same issue you are going through, no one locally had one. In the end I bought a Bell Super 2 MIPS. Although not one you mentioned, the fit seems the same as my old Xar, I fit in a medium in both. I got mine from Jenson because they offer free return shipping (as does Art's cyclery) so I figured if it didn't fit I could get the next size up and the shipping costs wouldn't kill me. I've not gotten back on the mountain bike yet so can't offer any ride comments but from wearing it around the house (to my wifes amusement):
-not prohibitively heavy
-comes down a long way in the back and it isn't as comforatble in this area as the Xar
-kind of huge, and mine is RED, a more subdued color might have been a better idea
-venting may be an issue, I live in AZ so noggin might get warm

Russian bear
09-01-2015, 02:09 AM
I am a huge fan of the Octal Raceday. My pink one faded rather quickly in the Arizona summer though.

ptourkin
09-01-2015, 10:51 AM
I have the Octal MIPs. It fits narrower than other helmets I've tried, and the MIPs version fits differently from the regular Octal (the mips membrane seems to take up a tiny amount more of space). The adjustment mechanism in the helmet works well, but the straps seem slightly more prone to coming loose -- after a couple rides I'll notice I need to pull them taught again.

Other than that, it seems just like every other helmet I've had, albeit a bit lighter than some.

Mine is white and looks wise I don't think they really stand out one way or another, and only a few of the geekiest bike geeks seem to notice or inquire about it.

Me too. I wore a regular Octal for a year and when I had fading issues, POC sent me a MIPS versin in the same size and it is definitely a little tighter. I believe the MIPS shell is included with the same padding.

I find the Octal very comfortable - I've worn it up to 43 hours at a time and my trauma doc approved of the protected areas after a crash that broke my LAS. Highly recommended.

Tony
09-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I have the Smith Overtake, not the MIPS version. Its very light and comfortable. I haven't noticed wind noise from the honeycomb design.
I will say I don't care for the frontal look, sides and back look good.
Overall I'm happy with the helmet.

09-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I've tried the Synthe and Smith MIPS and have been on the Octal MIPS for most of the season. Nothing beat the Octal so far. It ventilates superbly, it's light, the fit is comfortable. Note that the Octal is definitely spacious inside so you might need to go down a size (which also reduces the bulbous look of the helmet a bit if you don't like that); I am usually a tight fit in a large helmet and some helmets simply don't fit me, so this is a nice relief. The MIPS hardware takes virtually no space inside and seems to come with less padding, so I suspect many people can size down if they just fit the helmets before buying.

The Smith had wind noise in the MIPS system, which was annoying, and I didn't think it ventilated all that well in Texas heat. The Synthe was better, but nothing like the Octal. And the point of the MIPS is to allow the helmet to twist slightly on your head so it doesn't provoke a concussion as readily when you crash, and the Octal definitely did this best among the three helmets I tried. I sensed no flexibility at all in the mechanism of the Smith, which means paying for an expensive feature that isn't working.

If you're bald, you want to try the helmets out. The plastic from the MIPS assembly can sit right on your skin. This was a slight problem for me on the Octal, but it ventilated so well it didn't bother me. It made less contact with the Smith but was not as well ventilated so actually became rather uncomfortable on that helmet.

I also had the straps loosen gradually on the Octal, but it was over a few rides and not a complaint in my books. It's a simple fastener that you simply tug to tighten -- when you have a whole mechanism to weave the strap back and forth through, it won't slip but it isn't as easy to adjust. I liked the Octal because I could loosen it slightly or tighten it slightly with one hand -- tighten for long descents or field sprints. I'd call that a plus.

In short, MIPS worked best for me on the Octal (same experience on both the regular one and the RaceDay, by the way) and these were mostly general performance issues rather than "did it fit the shape of my head" issues. I think the Octal is configured to use the MIPS better than some of the other helmets that are more elongated. I imagine there will be newer versions of MIPS coming out, but for now, it seems that people retrofitting MIPS into older elongated helmet designs (like the Smith or Synthe) will limit the performance of the MIPS option. Octal was designed with MIPS in mind, and it shows.

zennmotion
09-01-2015, 01:22 PM
I have an Octal AVIP non-mips in nuclear orange or whatever. I'm not convinced of the MIPS as a real-world advantage, based on reading http://www.bhsi.org/bicyclingmag1305.htm so I'm agnostic about it- I found the non-MIPS version on sale and it would have cost another 60-80 bucks for the added feature, so that seemed excessive. I really like the AVIP model for the other features, the Icedot info and the reflective decals are really bright, and of course the bright orange is cool (because I said so that's why...) Best ventilation I've experienced in any helmet. And it's bigger and puffier than other helmets for a reason- less dense, thicker foam. It's a crash feature kids! I like that it comes in 3 sizes because I am a perfect medium at 57cm head, so most helmets in 2 sizes either don't fit without a hat or don't fit with a hat. The wraparound adjustment is easy and comfortable. I traded my recalled Uvex helmet Race 3 for a check and the POC- so much better.

FWIW, I also have a recently purchased Giro Savant/MIPS. Great price for a MIPS helmet, also comfortable for my narrowish head. And white. Sometimes vanity just calls for a white helmet. And the MIPS on my Giro is an extra, but I'm just not sure it's really been demonstrated to have any real world advantage. But if you want MIPS, the Giro is a nice helmet at an affordable price, and also available in 3 sizes- at less than 1/2 the price of the Octal MIPS or non-MIPS.

Lewis Moon
09-01-2015, 01:26 PM
I am a huge fan of the Octal Raceday. My pink one faded rather quickly in the Arizona summer though.

I have a blue one. Best. Ventilation. Ever. AZ here too.

rpm
09-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I notice that the Giro Savant is also available as a MIPS helmet now for a fairly low price. I've been using a regular Savant for awhile since I crash-tested my Catlike Whisper. I'm not thrilled with the fit, but it's certainly another option.

ptourkin
09-01-2015, 04:03 PM
I've tried the Synthe and Smith MIPS and have been on the Octal MIPS for most of the season. Nothing beat the Octal so far. It ventilates superbly, it's light, the fit is comfortable. Note that the Octal is definitely spacious inside so you might need to go down a size (which also reduces the bulbous look of the helmet a bit if you don't like that); I am usually a tight fit in a large helmet and some helmets simply don't fit me, so this is a nice relief. The MIPS hardware takes virtually no space inside and seems to come with less padding, so I suspect many people can size down if they just fit the helmets before buying.

The Smith had wind noise in the MIPS system, which was annoying, and I didn't think it ventilated all that well in Texas heat. The Synthe was better, but nothing like the Octal. And the point of the MIPS is to allow the helmet to twist slightly on your head so it doesn't provoke a concussion as readily when you crash, and the Octal definitely did this best among the three helmets I tried. I sensed no flexibility at all in the mechanism of the Smith, which means paying for an expensive feature that isn't working.

If you're bald, you want to try the helmets out. The plastic from the MIPS assembly can sit right on your skin. This was a slight problem for me on the Octal, but it ventilated so well it didn't bother me. It made less contact with the Smith but was not as well ventilated so actually became rather uncomfortable on that helmet.

I also had the straps loosen gradually on the Octal, but it was over a few rides and not a complaint in my books. It's a simple fastener that you simply tug to tighten -- when you have a whole mechanism to weave the strap back and forth through, it won't slip but it isn't as easy to adjust. I liked the Octal because I could loosen it slightly or tighten it slightly with one hand -- tighten for long descents or field sprints. I'd call that a plus.

In short, MIPS worked best for me on the Octal (same experience on both the regular one and the RaceDay, by the way) and these were mostly general performance issues rather than "did it fit the shape of my head" issues. I think the Octal is configured to use the MIPS better than some of the other helmets that are more elongated. I imagine there will be newer versions of MIPS coming out, but for now, it seems that people retrofitting MIPS into older elongated helmet designs (like the Smith or Synthe) will limit the performance of the MIPS option. Octal was designed with MIPS in mind, and it shows.

If you change size from regular Octal to MIPS Octal, definitely size up. The MIPS shell does take up space in the same size helmet with the same padding. For me, it's the difference between being able to wear a cap or not.

09-01-2015, 10:36 PM
If you change size from regular Octal to MIPS Octal, definitely size up. The MIPS shell does take up space in the same size helmet with the same padding. For me, it's the difference between being able to wear a cap or not.

But among my team mates, we have several Octals and MIPS Octals, and one would only have to size up if one was already at the margin for one helmet size. Otherwise, it doesn't add enough to demand a size change for everyone, and the total size range seems to be a bit wider than on Giros and other similar helmets. I don't think anyone actually had to re-size their helmets. So it really comes down to fitting a helmet each time -- and not too many people are likely to be at the transitional measurement and need to change size.

Alan
09-02-2015, 05:28 AM
I bought a Savant MIPS helmet at the beginning of the year for $109 from my LBS. After several months it is working great and I am very satisfied. It is reasonably stylish and protective so I am good to go.

Not sure how aero it is but at my speed I am not too worried about that.

Alan

Steve530
09-02-2015, 07:45 AM
I have a POC Octal MIPS. Ventilation, fit, and weight are really good.

The POC Octal has a few details that are nice. I really like the chin straps because the straps coming from the helmet are attached to the chinstrap in a "Y" just below the ear. Also, the pads designed to hold sunglasses ("eyeglass garage") works well. My POC came with an ICEDot sticker, a helmet bag, and an extra set of pads.

As for sizing, the circumference of my head is 58 cm. I ordered the medium size and there is room enough for a sweat band or skull cap under the helmet.