PDA

View Full Version : carbon brake pad business

ivanooze
08-31-2015, 01:08 PM
-so i just got offered a set of free zipp 202 tubulars, and of course i said yes.
-but now the issue remains, which carbon brake pads should i get?
-it seems pretty logical to get zipp specific brake pads but i also have a sweet reynolds rear wheel with a cycleops power meter hub in it which i would like to use for training purposes of course.

-so my question to all you paceliners is this: which would be a good "universal" brake pad?

-some of the options i was considering was
1. getting a set of zipp platlinum pads and leave it at that,
2. set of zipp platinums with 1 pair of reynolds pads and switch the rear pads whenever i swap out rear wheels
3. set swiss stop pads (i dont know much about these, so any info on these would be appreciated)
4. some other super cool carbon brake pad i've never heard of

fogrider
08-31-2015, 02:23 PM
Reynolds will only warranty their wheels if you use the pads. at least that was their stance before. the issue had to do heat generated. the blue pads run cooler. The earlier pads wore out pretty fast, but they seem to have solved this and is no longer an issue.

sworcester
08-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Get a set of Zipp specific pads and swap them out.
The aluminum wheels will sometimes embed metal in the pads and then it would scratch up the carbon. Assuming the Reynolds isn't carbon.

shovelhd
08-31-2015, 07:16 PM
If you are willing to swap pads then I really like the Swiss Stop Black Prince for carbon rims.

ivanooze
09-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Get a set of Zipp specific pads and swap them out.
The aluminum wheels will sometimes embed metal in the pads and then it would scratch up the carbon. Assuming the Reynolds isn't carbon.

the reynolds wheel i have is carbon.