PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility of 9 speed chain rings with 10 speed group set chains

cd_davis
08-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Have a pair of 9 speed TA Specialtes G3 39/53 chain rings that are unused.
My bikes now are fitted with 7800 and 6600 group sets. Given that the TA chain ring teeth are ~.16mm thicker at the base than the stock Shimano chain ring teeth, will the 9 speed still shift well with a ten speed chain? Comments and advice on similar experience most welcome, thanks.

FlashUNC
08-31-2015, 08:32 AM
It doesn't know if you don't tell it.

It'll shift fine.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Have a pair of 9 speed TA Specialtes G3 39/53 chain rings that are unused.
My bikes now are fitted with 7800 and 6600 group sets. Given that the TA chain ring teeth are ~.16mm thicker at the base than the stock Shimano chain ring teeth, will the 9 speed still shift well with a ten speed chain? Comments and advice on similar experience most welcome, thanks.

Since 10s front ders are designed for the closer together 10s rings, you 'may' get some chain to front der cage rubbing at lowest or highest gear. Adjust front der so inner cage really close to chain when in small ring and biggest cog(lowest gear) but you may have poorer big to small ring action or chain rub in highest gear but....try it.

bikingshearer
09-02-2015, 02:19 PM
I assume that the above advice from FlashUNC and oldpotatoe applies to 9-speed chainwheels on Campy 10-speed cranks, too, except for the FD shifting issues, since Campy FDs are much more like friction shifters than Shimano.

Can one, the other or both of you confirm that or disabuse me of my ignorance? Please? :o

oldpotatoe
09-03-2015, 06:00 AM
I assume that the above advice from FlashUNC and oldpotatoe applies to 9-speed chainwheels on Campy 10-speed cranks, too, except for the FD shifting issues, since Campy FDs are much more like friction shifters than Shimano.

Can one, the other or both of you confirm that or disabuse me of my ignorance? Please? :o

'Positional' front ders, that is, ones that are more 2-3 positions of front der rather than Campagnolo's 'ratcheting friction' type, are more prone to chain to front der. rub at the extremes', when using farther apart spaced CRs than the 'speed' of the cogset. So 9s rings on 10s systems, 10s rings on 11s systems.

Positional-shimano and spam, 'Escape' type Campagnolo(2007/8 Centaur and below, 2011 Athena and below)..but try it.

bikingshearer
09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
'Positional' front ders, that is, ones that are more 2-3 positions of front der rather than Campagnolo's 'ratcheting friction' type, are more prone to chain to front der. rub at the extremes', when using farther apart spaced CRs than the 'speed' of the cogset. So 9s rings on 10s systems, 10s rings on 11s systems.

Positional-shimano and spam, 'Escape' type Campagnolo(2007/8 Centaur and below, 2011 Athena and below)..but try it.

Thank you, sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

And there are so few of us left . . . .

cd_davis
09-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks to all respondents. Wow, I never imagined there would be such subtleties to my initial question. Enjoy the long weekend and safe riding!