PDA

View Full Version : EPS gurus, need help

Gothard
08-31-2015, 12:25 AM
I purchased a V1 Record EPS setup, which I installed on my wife's Ottrott. I followed campy's instructions, found on their site/on Youtube.
Everything works, but:

The battery status when switched on is solid red (6 to 10%).
I can not charge it. The charger's orange led is blinking non-stop, and the led at the handlebar is yellowish-greenish-white, solid on.

I followed every diagnostic table I could find, but these symptoms do not fall into a clear category. Checked and re-checked every connection, did the install adjustments twice, everything works, but I can not charge the battery.

Anyone with more experience than me care to weigh in?

Louis
08-31-2015, 01:55 AM
I have zero experience with this system, but if it's convenient I would try a different charger. Can you borrow one from a friend or an LBS? If so, it's worth a shot.

(I know that there's been at least one thread on the forum with someone saying that they had a bad Campy charger.)

oldpotatoe
08-31-2015, 06:03 AM
I purchased a V1 Record EPS setup, which I installed on my wife's Ottrott. I followed campy's instructions, found on their site/on Youtube.
Everything works, but:

The battery status when switched on is solid red (6 to 10%).
I can not charge it. The charger's orange led is blinking non-stop, and the led at the handlebar is yellowish-greenish-white, solid on.

I followed every diagnostic table I could find, but these symptoms do not fall into a clear category. Checked and re-checked every connection, did the install adjustments twice, everything works, but I can not charge the battery.

Anyone with more experience than me care to weigh in?

Power pack 'may' be faulty. Not that unusual. Either try a different power pack or charger but I'm guessing it's the battery. Is there a light or aural noise at the power pack? If powerpack faulty should see solid white light on power pack, not Interface. On V1, diagnostics is at the powerpack, not the interface. V2, at interface.

FlashUNC
08-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a busted power pack or charger.

Gothard
08-31-2015, 09:06 AM
I can not get any color light or noise from the power pack.
Whan I connect the charger, the orange led on the charger blinks, and the led on the handlebar is yellow.

Can not get a charger to try as of now. Got one, but it was a V2 (doh.).

FlashUNC
08-31-2015, 09:15 AM
If the power pack is flashing orange, that means its charging the unit.

If you're leaving it to charge say, overnight, and its still charging, then something is amiss.

But faults with the parts usually lead to a light combined with an audible buzzer. Learned that the hard way installing my EPS on my Rock Lobster. Didn't get FD connector fully seated, got a nice buzz and light when we turned the battery on.

Gothard
08-31-2015, 09:42 AM
What do you mean by power pack?
The *charger* orange led blinks when connected to the battery Under the bottle cage. The *battery* has not given me any color light. Ever.

the instructions for the *charger* say that when charging the orange led is solid on, and goes off when fully charged. Is your experience different?

FlashUNC
08-31-2015, 09:45 AM
By power pack I mean "charger," the square unit that connects from the outlet to the battery pack on the bike.

Mine flashes orange intermittently until the battery is fully charged, then I get a solid green. But mine is Athena EPS, not Record or Super Record.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2015, 09:50 AM
What do you mean by power pack?
The *charger* orange led blinks when connected to the battery Under the bottle cage. The *battery* has not given me any color light. Ever.

the instructions for the *charger* say that when charging the orange led is solid on, and goes off when fully charged. Is your experience different?

Power Pack=Battery is what I meant. Charger Should be orange until green, on charger. Light on battery is diagnostics. If everything is shifting but cannot charge battery, charger or battery. I'm thinking if you don't get a white light on battery, may be charger.

r_mutt
08-31-2015, 11:31 AM
i had an issue with my charger. wasn't sure of it was the battery or charger, but it wasn't charging (no blinking light) tried another charger at the LBS and voila'.

warranty issue!

Gothard
08-31-2015, 12:01 PM
Can't really go warranty, bought the setup as a new bike take-off, in the USA. I am in Europe.
No solid solution in sight. Close to bailing out. Bad news since my wife can no longer shift for any extended time with her bum hand.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Can't really go warranty, bought the setup as a new bike take-off, in the USA. I am in Europe.
No solid solution in sight. Close to bailing out. Bad news since my wife can no longer shift for any extended time with her bum hand.

I'd say try to find a charger to see if it charges. If it doesn't, then battery. Contact a Campagnolo service center to see what they can do. The EPS electronics are Swiss designed, btw. Not sure that means anything tho. But if the stuff is 'new', from a bike retailer, even if in Europe and reseller is legit, still has warranty.

Email this guy, tell him Peter sent ya.

Ott@campagnolona.com

Jerry Ott, Campagnolo NA

CPP
08-31-2015, 12:34 PM
George,
Go to Maurizio in Chalais and borrow the right charger.

Gothard
08-31-2015, 01:04 PM
In contact with seller. I'll try Maurizio. Then I'll email Campy.

Gothard
09-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Update:
Went to the local Campy wrench as recommended by Chris (CPP). He had the same setup on the shelves. We played musical chairs with the battery pack and charger, turns out the battery pack has croaked. It is on its way to Campy.

CPP
09-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Good news! Maurice knows his Campy. A Swiss Old Potatoe!!

FlashUNC
09-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Update:
Went to the local Campy wrench as recommended by Chris (CPP). He had the same setup on the shelves. We played musical chairs with the battery pack and charger, turns out the battery pack has croaked. It is on its way to Campy.

Probably not the ideal resolution, but good to hear this is getting fixed.

It really does make the shifting effort far easier, and might be the solution for your wife.