PDA

View Full Version : bucket list first item - cross country solar electric bike tour

eddief
08-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Turning medicare age in November and this video of cross country solar powered electric bike tour intrigues the hell out of me. It looks really doable. Wonder how much the panel costs? Anyone know this technology and want to set me up? Or join me? Dave Thompson, hello Dave Thompson.

https://youtu.be/5_SGoka_LzI

hokoman
08-30-2015, 10:14 PM
19 mph on flats? I think using the motor on hills when fully loaded is one thing, but sounds like she is really using it for 90% of her riding... with the size of the trailer, it seems like it would be dangerous riding on roads where you have rvs and semis passing you. I just did a ride from SF to Santa Barbara and can say there were some close passes along the way with just panniers - maybe cars would give more space for a trailer? Technology is very cool though, and will get smaller and more efficient as time passes.

eddief
08-30-2015, 10:24 PM
No wider than a set of panniers. I get that it would be a big rig, but thinking not much danger. And yes the rig weighs a ton, so you get to decide how much work you wanna do. I am thinking about seeing more country on a bike and not doing so much work.

19 mph on flats? I think using the motor on hills when fully loaded is one thing, but sounds like she is really using it for 90% of her riding... with the size of the trailer, it seems like it would be dangerous riding on roads where you have rvs and semis passing you. I just did a ride from SF to Santa Barbara and can say there were some close passes along the way with just panniers - maybe cars would give more space for a trailer? Technology is very cool though, and will get smaller and more efficient as time passes.