PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Coors Light frame project

KJMUNC
08-30-2015, 09:31 PM
I've lusted after these frames since I saw them back in '90 or so, but never came across one in anything close to my size.

Texbike hooked me up with another local Austin connection who happened to have one in what looked to be my size, but had a few issues.

Biggest issue is that it's missing the original Colorado fork. Hoping someone here will have an extra Serotta fork hanging around they'd love to see back in action on such a great build.

The rear hanger was also bent at some point, but appears straight now. Will take it in to get aligned at some point.

Picked it up tonight here she is:

BB shell is stamped: CC 62 (assuming that's for Colorado Concept 62), and below that: 2313. I've read Kirk's comments that not many records were kept on these, so I'm guessing the 2313 will remain a mystery.

The size is what sets it apart and hopefully will jog some memories:

ST: 62cm C-C
TT: 59cm C-C
HT:20.5cm C-C
No idea of the angles....will have to investigate a bit.

It has a a braze-on for the number plate so I'm assuming it was a legit team bike, despite the size. Anyone have any idea who on that team would've ridden a 62cm frame? Chris Huber looks like the tallest guy on the team, but hard to tell.

Likely going to be a long term project....finding a fork that will fit is #1 priority. Assuming I'll have to paint something to match, but that's no biggie if I can actually find a steel Colorado fork long enough to fit it!

Shoot me a note if you have any leads on the fork or any info on the frame itself.

Cheers!! (this calls for all three)
:beer::hello::banana:

campy man
08-30-2015, 09:47 PM
This is going to be a fun build and looking forward to see the completed bike :beer:

texbike
08-30-2015, 10:24 PM
I've lusted after these frames since I saw them back in '90 or so, but never came across one in anything close to my size.

Texbike hooked me up with another local Austin connection who happened to have one in what looked to be my size, but had a few issues.

Biggest issue is that it's missing the original Colorado fork. Hoping someone here will have an extra Serotta fork hanging around they'd love to see back in action on such a great build.

The rear hanger was also bent at some point, but appears straight now. Will take it in to get aligned at some point.

Picked it up tonight here she is:

BB shell is stamped: CC 62 (assuming that's for Colorado Concept 62), and below that: 2313. I've read Kirk's comments that not many records were kept on these, so I'm guessing the 2313 will remain a mystery.

The size is what sets it apart and hopefully will jog some memories:

ST: 62cm C-C
TT: 59cm C-C
HT:20.5cm C-C
No idea of the angles....will have to investigate a bit.

It has a a braze-on for the number plate so I'm assuming it was a legit team bike, despite the size. Anyone have any idea who on that team would've ridden a 62cm frame? Chris Huber looks like the tallest guy on the team, but hard to tell.

Likely going to be a long term project....finding a fork that will fit is #1 priority. Assuming I'll have to paint something to match, but that's no biggie if I can actually find a steel Colorado fork long enough to fit it!

Shoot me a note if you have any leads on the fork or any info on the frame itself.

Cheers!! (this calls for all three)
:beer::hello::banana:

Fantastic! I'm glad that it worked out. Good luck with the project!

Texbike

Ken Robb
08-30-2015, 10:41 PM
I think "CC" means custom Colorado.

Kirk007
08-30-2015, 10:57 PM
If I recall correctly, Dave Kirk build most/all of these -- bet he can take care of that fork issue!

oliver1850
08-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Nice find. I'm surprised to see one that tall but it looks legit to me. The stock model at the time was the Colorado II. It had internal TT cable routing, but the team bikes had external because it was simpler.

As mentioned, CC = Custom Colorado. 2313 should be the 2313th Colorado built, presumably after that serial numbering system began in 1990. I'm guessing your frame was built late in the period that CL used that paint scheme, which would be 1992 I think.

Finding a fork that long may be tough. Dave could surely make one, but getting the engraving on the crown might be a problem.

How will you build it?

buldogge
08-30-2015, 11:29 PM
Perhaps find a "short" fork and have Dave put a new steerer on it???

-Mark in St. Louis

David Kirk
08-30-2015, 11:49 PM
You have a PM -

--------------

I built nearly every one of these and there were LOTS of them. It was a long time ago and I've built just a few bikes between then and now and I wish I could say with certainty who it was built for. My first guess is Alexi before he hurt his back. I know I built a few non-softrides for him and recall his bikes having a 59 cm top tube because that was the same length I ran. So that is a good guess.

Building a fork to match is easy aside from the engraved crown. I seriously doubt that any of them are lying around unused and I'd not want to replace the steerer on them. They were brazed in with nickel-silver and it doesn't like coming apart the way regular silver does and it takes too much heat. Not a good thing for something you trust your life to. But I can build one with the right look and specs and it will look the part (aside from the engraving) and be build by the same guy that built the frame...albeit just a bit older version of that guy!

Cool bike. If you end up not building it up for some reason let me know - I might want to buy it. It's close enough to my size that I could use it and I don't have a single Serotta at this point.

Habe fun!

dave

Phil Selisker
08-31-2015, 08:32 AM
Here is mine, I haven't ridden in a while until this weekend, still a great ride. Good luck with yours.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17769&highlight=coors+light

sandyrs
08-31-2015, 08:39 AM
Ugh, all your bikes are so great and I could actually ride many of them which makes them even better. :beer:

Keith A
08-31-2015, 10:33 AM
Dave -- Just curious, was there something special or unique about the forks for the Coors Light bikes...or were they the same as the CSi's or Colorado II's from that era?

David Kirk
08-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Dave -- Just curious, was there something special or unique about the forks for the Coors Light bikes...or were they the same as the CSi's or Colorado II's from that era?

As I recall most were the same as a production fork. A few of the light and small guys got lighter blades but that was rare.

dave

Keith A
08-31-2015, 10:38 AM
Dave -- Thanks for the info. BTW, I saw a video about a guy who would extend the length of the steerer tube on a steel fork. What do you think of this option for getting a period correct fork for this frame? Is this something you would do?

I think this is the one I saw before...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbJ9dadNYo

David Kirk
08-31-2015, 10:55 AM
I've not seen the video but I know some folks will lengthen a steerer.....but I'm not one of them.

There are two things on a frameset that really can mess you up if they fail - the stem and the fork - and I do not take any chances with either. I'm sure it can be done and no doubt done safely but just for my own selfish peace of mind I don't offer that service.

dave

KJMUNC
08-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Reason #632 why I love this place - Dave responded immediately with some options for a fork replacement.

Can't imagine replacing it with anything other than an original steel Colorado fork, which will be exceedingly rare, if not impossible.....so having the original fabricator build a new one is arguably a cooler outcome!.

Stay tuned......

pjm
08-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Dave - my CSI originally had an F1 and I wanted to switch to a steel fork. I had a practically brand new fork from an Atlanta so I installed that. Is there much difference between it and a CSI fork other than the crown? Thanks in advance.

David Kirk
08-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Dave - my CSI originally had an F1 and I wanted to switch to a steel fork. I had a practically brand new fork from an Atlanta so I installed that. Is there much difference between it and a CSI fork other than the crown? Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between this two forks was the crown.

dave

David Kirk
08-31-2015, 03:43 PM
I just bought a frame! I'm excited to make a period fork for it and then round up all the right period parts for it.

Thank you!

dave

PaulE
08-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Dave built this fork to replace the original F1 on my CSI and it is fabulous!

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Love, love, love, this project, so sweet. Will be stalking the build.

Len J
08-31-2015, 04:09 PM
I just bought a frame! I'm excited to make a period fork for it and then round up all the right period parts for it.

Thank you!

dave

Can't wait to see how you "duplicate" the S logo ;-)

Congrats.

KJMUNC
08-31-2015, 04:40 PM
So as Dave alluded to above, I've decided the frame is better off returning to him than it is with me. It's likely a tad too big for me but a good fit for Dave, plus he has the history and ability to return it to it's former glory with a new fork, etc.

Thanks again to texbike for making the connection that started this whole turn of events!

texbike
08-31-2015, 04:46 PM
So as Dave alluded to above, I've decided the frame is better off returning to him than it is with me. It's likely a tad too big for me but a good fit for Dave, plus he has the history and ability to return it to it's former glory with a new fork, etc.

Thanks again to texbike for making the connection that started this whole turn of events!

Wow! THAT was fast-moving! Never-the-less, I'm glad that the bike is going to such a great home as will the person that sold the bike to Kerry. The previous owner is a metal-worker/artist and will definitely appreciate the back-story on this. :)

Congrats to all parties!

Texbike

Kirk007
08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Wow, Congrats Dave, that is very cool! And I'd wager a Paceline first - renowned frambuilder buys used bike on classifieds! Welcome to the mania ;)

B][/B]I just bought a frame! I'm excited to make a period fork for it and then round up all the right period parts for it.

Thank you!

dave

thirdgenbird
08-31-2015, 05:27 PM

If I were in your shoes, I would have done the same. It just feels right.

I just hope we see the end result.

Peter P.
08-31-2015, 06:35 PM

Thank you!

dave

I think that was nice of Dave to first suggest a "fix" for the fork and display his qualifications, then seize the opportunity to buy the frame.

I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Keith A
08-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Dave -- congrats on your purchase! I know you said you weren't interested in replacing the steerer tube on a period correct fork, but if you change you mind, I have a fork that might work for you.

hollowgram5
09-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Man, I missed all of that. It happens to be exactly my size as well. Congrats Dave! If you ever decide to part with it, I'd consider purchasing!

Dan0930
09-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Any thoughts for the build? Period correct or Modern Retro?

merlinmurph
09-14-2015, 11:54 AM
That's too funny - a framebuilder actually bought a frame.

I sold my Colorado TG in '98 and would definitely buy it back.

Enjoy it, Dave.

David Kirk
09-14-2015, 04:13 PM
That's too funny - a framebuilder actually bought a frame.

I sold my Colorado TG in '98 and would definitely buy it back.

Enjoy it, Dave.

It's funny - I'm not in any way a nostalgic person and I don't live in the past....and this lead to my not owning a single bike that I build during my decade at Serotta.

So when I saw this frame that I built, and one that is close enough to my size that I could even ride the thing, I had to let the owner know that if they ever wanted to sell it that I may be interested. In very short order the owner offered it to me at a very fair price and I pulled the trigger.

It will be fun to own something I built so long ago and I'm thinking it would make a great bike to do the Cino Heroica on next year. My current work doesn't easily meet the requirements but this one will.

For now it will hang with pride in my shop while I search for the proper parts for it.

Should be fun.

dave

texbike
09-14-2015, 04:28 PM
It's funny - I'm not in any way a nostalgic person and I don't live in the past....and this lead to my not owning a single bike that I build during my decade at Serotta.

So when I saw this frame that I built, and one that is close enough to my size that I could even ride the thing, I had to let the owner know that if they ever wanted to sell it that I may be interested. In very short order the owner offered it to me at a very fair price and I pulled the trigger.

It will be fun to own something I built so long ago and I'm thinking it would make a great bike to do the Cino Heroica on next year. My current work doesn't easily meet the requirements but this one will.

For now it will hang with pride in my shop while I search for the proper parts for it.

Should be fun.

dave

Great plans for it Dave!

FYI, I found this in my closet a week or two ago. You're welcome to have it if you would like a matching jersey. Just shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Texbike

David Kirk
09-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Great plans for it Dave!

FYI, I found this in my closet a week or two ago. You're welcome to have it if you would like a matching jersey. Just shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Texbike

That is very cool of you - what size is that jersey?

Here's a funny story - back when Serotta was making these Kelly Bedford and I worked on them together. Typically Kelly did the 'draft' of the design and then I built the frame. At some point we asked Ben to ask Len Pettyjohn if they could send Kelly and I each a team jersey. We got the "you guys are the best - anything you want - nothing but the best for you guys" and then nothing showed up.

Ben went to bat for us again and we got the same "you're the best...." line and again nothing showed up. Then someone on the team needed a new bike ASAP so we told Ben that we'd be happy to get right on that as soon as they lived up to the promise that was made to us and that they would actually send jerseys. Ben was a bit between a rock and a hard place but more than understood that what we were asking for cost them nothing but 10 minutes of time to put the address on the box so he passed on the note to Len.

Fed Ex dropped the two jerseys off the next day and they got their bike. I of course was building the bike anyway as I wanted the team member to have what he needed and the jersey would wait but I was really happy it showed up. Ben had the biggest poop eating grin when I walked into his office wearing mine.

I still have it and wore it a few weeks back when it was cool out (long sleeved jersey). I hope Kelly still has his.

dave

oliver1850
09-14-2015, 08:18 PM
I have a couple of the jerseys but don't know what years they date to.

Do you have the frame? How is the fork situation shaping up?

David Kirk
09-14-2015, 08:23 PM
I have a couple of the jerseys but don't know what years they date to.

Do you have the frame? How is the fork situation shaping up?

I should see the frame late this week. It will just go in a hook for now until I make some time in the build queue for myself. I'd like to have it on the road in the spring.

dave

happycampyer
09-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Maybe in a role reversal you can design the fork and Kelly can build it. ;)

Very cool story. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Tickdoc
09-14-2015, 08:32 PM

Should be fun.

dave

This is too cool. Congrats to you and even more to the seller. I'm such a hoarder I don't know if I would ever be so generous.

Can't wait to hear your reactions on the ride.

wallymann
09-14-2015, 08:45 PM
YMy first guess is Alexi before he hurt his back. I know I built a few non-softrides for him and recall his bikes having a 59 cm top tube because that was the same length I ran. So that is a good guess.

what about greg oravetz?

rounder
09-14-2015, 08:47 PM
Cool project. Good luck Dave.

Years ago, I was at the start of a Tour de Pont stage in Port Deposit, MD. I was walking around and met Len Pettyjon. I told him that I had been trying to decide between buying a Serotta or an EddyMerckz. I told him that I went with the Serotta because I liked Coors Lite. He told me that it was...SerOtta!! and took me to the team car and introduced me to the team.

David Kirk
09-14-2015, 08:54 PM
what about greg oravetz?

It could be. I'll need to check it out and measure some stuff to get a better idea.

dave

wallymann
09-14-2015, 09:28 PM
It could be. I'll need to check it out and measure some stuff to get a better idea.

dont think this frame is big enough to be michel zanoli's. but maybe.

this is a very cool "circle of life" project, the student is now the master and all that!

http://www.racebending.com/v4/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/kung-fu_tv-master_po-young_grasshopper.jpg

texbike
09-14-2015, 10:22 PM
That is very cool of you - what size is that jersey?

Here's a funny story - back when Serotta was making these Kelly Bedford and I worked on them together. Typically Kelly did the 'draft' of the design and then I built the frame. At some point we asked Ben to ask Len Pettyjohn if they could send Kelly and I each a team jersey. We got the "you guys are the best - anything you want - nothing but the best for you guys" and then nothing showed up.

Ben went to bat for us again and we got the same "you're the best...." line and again nothing showed up. Then someone on the team needed a new bike ASAP so we told Ben that we'd be happy to get right on that as soon as they lived up to the promise that was made to us and that they would actually send jerseys. Ben was a bit between a rock and a hard place but more than understood that what we were asking for cost them nothing but 10 minutes of time to put the address on the box so he passed on the note to Len.

Fed Ex dropped the two jerseys off the next day and they got their bike. I of course was building the bike anyway as I wanted the team member to have what he needed and the jersey would wait but I was really happy it showed up. Ben had the biggest poop eating grin when I walked into his office wearing mine.

I still have it and wore it a few weeks back when it was cool out (long sleeved jersey). I hope Kelly still has his.

dave

That's a great story! The jersey doesn't have the size marked on it, but it fits me fairly well and I usually wear a size 5. So, it's going to be too small for you. However, it would look great as a display piece to go with the bike. It's all yours if you want it.

Cheers,

Texbike

David Kirk
09-15-2015, 09:00 AM
That's a great story! The jersey doesn't have the size marked on it, but it fits me fairly well and I usually wear a size 5. So, it's going to be too small for you. However, it would look great as a display piece to go with the bike. It's all yours if you want it.

Cheers,

Texbike

I'd be honored to take it and put in on the wall next to the bike - thanks so much!

dave

texbike
09-15-2015, 10:09 AM
I'd be honored to take it and put in on the wall next to the bike - thanks so much!

dave

Great! PM your mailing address and I'll drop it in the post to you.

Cheers,

Texbike

gone
09-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Great! PM your mailing address and I'll drop it in the post to you.

Cheers,

Texbike

Let me google that for you:

Kirk Frameworks mailing address (http://kirkframeworks.com/contact/)

:)

David Kirk
09-15-2015, 10:43 AM

that's the place - thanks.

dave

texbike
09-15-2015, 11:10 AM

that's the place - thanks.

dave

It's always good to confirm... Sheesh! ;)

Texbike

redir
09-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Wow what a cool thread. I've got a GL Coors Light frame with a seatpost that is completely and totally stuck in it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get it out let me know. And trust me PB Blaster and any sort of chemical solution is NOT going to work. I think I need to take it to a machine shop or something.

David Kirk
09-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Wow what a cool thread. I've got a GL Coors Light frame with a seatpost that is completely and totally stuck in it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get it out let me know. And trust me PB Blaster and any sort of chemical solution is NOT going to work. I think I need to take it to a machine shop or something.

What material is the frame? What brand and material is the post?

dave

redir
09-16-2015, 02:49 PM
What material is the frame? What brand and material is the post?

dave

The frame is steel Columbus TSX and it's an AL Thomson seat post.

David Kirk
09-16-2015, 02:58 PM
The frame is steel Columbus TSX and it's an AL Thomson seat post.

Interesting.....do you recall if it was a really tight fit when it was installed or did it fit 'normally?'

FWIW almost every time I've asked folks what brand post they have stuck in their frame it's a thomson a very high percentage of the time.

I suspect this is due to the fact that they have machining grooves on the surface that will hold moisture and the high points (peaks between the grooves) that see a much higher clamping pressure due to the reduced surface area and this may push grease aside and cause the two parts to come in direct contact instead of having a grease layer between them. I can't in any way verify this or prove it but it's gotten to the point where i want to ask what color thomson post is stuff in the frame....it's just that common.

Does your post have setback or is it straight? When was the last time it was out? Was it installed with grease?

dave

redir
09-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Interesting.....do you recall if it was a really tight fit when it was installed or did it fit 'normally?'

FWIW almost every time I've asked folks what brand post they have stuck in their frame it's a thomson a very high percentage of the time.

I suspect this is due to the fact that they have machining grooves on the surface that will hold moisture and the high points (peaks between the grooves) that see a much higher clamping pressure due to the reduced surface area and this may push grease aside and cause the two parts to come in direct contact instead of having a grease layer between them. I can't in any way verify this or prove it but it's gotten to the point where i want to ask what color thomson post is stuff in the frame....it's just that common.

Does your post have setback or is it straight? When was the last time it was out? Was it installed with grease?

dave

I do recall that the fit was pretty tight. Not impossible but definitely one of the tighter ones out there. I thought that was perhaps due to the quality of the frame and post being of very high tolerance. your hypothesis makes good sense to me.

This post was straight, inserted with grease but I cannot remember for the life of me when it was last out. But it was only in for about a year. I actually had it move when mounted in a vice but it took A LOT of torque on the frame and it would snap violently and only move a very little bit.

Would a good machinist be able to drill something like that out do you think?

oliver1850
09-16-2015, 04:40 PM
If you can twist it, you might shoot a bunch of penetrating oil in through the cage holes and try to loosen it up.

When I've not been able to move one any other way, I've cut them off just above the frame and sawed through them on the seat tube axis with a hacksaw blade. If carefully done, you won't even scratch the frame.

Here's a Bicycle Guide from 10/1991 with Alexi. Too bad it's mostly of him, but does show a few things about the build: red casing, looks like a Breakaway Bar with Profile clip on, Cinelli 1A. The sponsors on the jersey are: Pearl Izumi, Ford, and Serotta on the right; Chiropractic and Endura on the left. There's another pic of Engleman inside riding next to the team car. Can't see a lot more other than his bike has a black XA, black cages, Gatorade bottles, and the fork crown appears to have the crown window painted black. Fork also appears to have the long points on the inside of the legs, which are also filled with black. Not the suits of cards I don't think, appear to be round holes.

I have a Breakaway Bar if you want to add that touch of authenticity.

David Kirk
09-16-2015, 04:55 PM
I do recall that the fit was pretty tight. Not impossible but definitely one of the tighter ones out there. I thought that was perhaps due to the quality of the frame and post being of very high tolerance. your hypothesis makes good sense to me.

This post was straight, inserted with grease but I cannot remember for the life of me when it was last out. But it was only in for about a year. I actually had it move when mounted in a vice but it took A LOT of torque on the frame and it would snap violently and only move a very little bit.

Would a good machinist be able to drill something like that out do you think?

That's a cool frame you have that post stuck in and I'd hate to see it damaged. I'd be willing to mess with it if you want to send it to me knowing that the post will be wasted in getting it out.

dave

David Kirk
09-16-2015, 04:58 PM
If you can twist it, you might shoot a bunch of penetrating oil in through the cage holes and try to loosen it up.

When I've not been able to move one any other way, I've cut them off just above the frame and sawed through them on the seat tube axis with a hacksaw blade. If carefully done, you won't even scratch the frame.

Here's a Bicycle Guide from 10/1991 with Alexi. Too bad it's mostly of him, but does show a few things about the build: red casing, looks like a Breakaway Bar with Profile clip on, Cinelli 1A. The sponsors on the jersey are: Pearl Izumi, Ford, and Serotta on the right; Chiropractic and Endura on the left. There's another pic of Engleman inside riding next to the team car. Can't see a lot more other than his bike has a black XA, black cages, Gatorade bottles, and the fork crown appears to have the crown window painted black. Fork also appears to have the long points on the inside of the legs, which are also filled with black. Not the suits of cards I don't think, appear to be round holes.

I have a Breakaway Bar if you want to add that touch of authenticity.

I think maybe the photo is misleading. The fork crown was the same as used in the Colorado and has solid (no windows) tangs on the inside and they were painted a solid color. The shoulders of the crown had engraving but otherwise it was a stock Everest crown.

dave

Climb01742
09-16-2015, 05:09 PM

Interesting. I currently have a steel frame with a seatpost stuck in it and the post is a...wait for it...a thomson!:crap:

Waldo
09-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Dave built this fork to replace the original F1 on my CSI and it is fabulous!

This forum really needs a "LIKE" button.

oliver1850
09-16-2015, 05:57 PM
I think maybe the photo is misleading. The fork crown was the same as used in the Colorado and has solid (no windows) tangs on the inside and they were painted a solid color. The shoulders of the crown had engraving but otherwise it was a stock Everest crown.

dave

Could be, but it sure appears to be as I described. I don't have the equipment to take a good closeup, but you can see two black dots on the inside leg of the fork, and what appears to be the front edge of a reinforcement reflecting light in a vertical line, right about where it should be. I can send the magazine if you're interested.

David Kirk
09-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Could be, but it sure appears to be as I described. I don't have the equipment to take a good closeup, but you can see two black dots on the inside leg of the fork, and what appears to be the front edge of a reinforcement reflecting light in a vertical line, right about where it should be. I can send the magazine if you're interested.

You look to be right....I don't recall that crown being used on team bikes.

Hmm?

dave

oliver1850
09-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Would it have made the fork a bit stiffer? Engleman preference perhaps? Perhaps he still has a Serotta. I know Scott Moninger still had one a few years back, said he was never getting rid of it.

Keith A
09-17-2015, 05:39 AM
Dave -- Thanks for the info on the Thomson seatpost issue. I've got one of these post in a steel frame and am going to check this today.

572cv
09-17-2015, 06:35 AM
Interesting observation by Dave K about the grooves on the Thomson posts. I'll add my own observations about diameter variance. It is in my thread "seat post tolerance data point". The take away is that there appears to be a tiny variation in diameter . The sample size was three posts.

redir
09-17-2015, 09:41 AM
That's a cool frame you have that post stuck in and I'd hate to see it damaged. I'd be willing to mess with it if you want to send it to me knowing that the post will be wasted in getting it out.

dave

Thanks I appreciate that and my take you up on it. Trust me the post is already way way gone after wrenching it in a vice. What I was going to do was get a hack saw blade and drill two rivets in it to use as a depth gauge so I don't accidental cut too deep.

oliver1850
09-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Interesting observation by Dave K about the grooves on the Thomson posts. I'll add my own observations about diameter variance. It is in my thread "seat post tolerance data point". The take away is that there appears to be a tiny variation in diameter . The sample size was three posts.

My experience too. I have a carbon Cannondale 27.2 post in a frame that takes a 27.0. The variation in actual diameters of "27.2" posts varies by at least .2mm. Frames vary too. I have a carbon frame (bought new) that is supposed to take a 27.2, but a 27.4 Thomson is a much better fit. I don't remember how Thomson sizing runs compared to others I've measured, but I didn't find any 27.2 that was a good fit in the carbon frame.

redir
09-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Here's a shot of my seatpost. As you can see I'm not worried about saving it :D

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FDjYPRVi9-jiD5HH-_RXt5vgiKPZ5fGX_qIgi8jdnwwZTA8526jX16WetjSm2QxaYYZ IEvzicW78rRgWYEKd9u9FZTmnLJJQ-0UzE8Pe90SU8dT37b_ApFWQAzL556nu5C8LBdWZCFQFOUnLidc fLLmhvSm2UF1koE2sME6cVdBzKBWJzDqfMsmxrfzQQAcaQaSx9 ojMXRzSvNcXOl5IOSYR4QciJaY8raO6iM9lDcmk2TRZy4gW_-V6bWItde2nHoP4ODg_7LVOxDBuU8RNca4nrBkBuKzglwJMRR5U cNpUsJcViEbLEFfXNT76GmtHh82KxTzy7QCrw04kOkbuaY4zDe CRR6FtgmWpjJxgpmsHv6GjBz2vi5nQKIjoBZuqdTv-rD04M1_ujNVCMouX-EBvUIWpuY19iJJbaOytoAKyNIUpGgc4avoaSK84N3CaVe_sS5t kyiO7DIv-Ok8mHdoEcHtGWDJAkqihnRKNqM98Gq_g_LmvX4n07KqosgYeZh xYQLbnOPx9mAhNaStl2xMu3x3bw_0vJaJOSXcV_n8=w1638-h921-no

David Kirk
09-17-2015, 02:08 PM
Sweet looking post!

If you run out of local options and want to send it let me know. If you do please do not cut off the post!

dave

eippo1
09-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Here's a shot of my seatpost. As you can see I'm not worried about saving it :D

Try PB Blaster for about a week before you cut and drill. Add it a couple times a day and give it a twist. My stuck post popped after the 3rd day.

redir
09-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Sweet looking post!

If you run out of local options and want to send it let me know. If you do please do not cut off the post!

dave

Ok well I was thinking of cutting it and sawing down the pipe to try and get it out but I'll have to consider it now.

Try PB Blaster for about a week before you cut and drill. Add it a couple times a day and give it a twist. My stuck post popped after the 3rd day.

Do you think one more can will do the trick? Already been through three ;)

David Kirk
09-17-2015, 04:24 PM
It's here -

dave

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11120044_1031202530265047_4974800103429347085_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/12027167_1031202466931720_7637508294051849829_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12022457_1031202596931707_7245467851944619122_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/11999753_1031202456931721_7570170654111262576_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12001028_1031202553598378_4316728130967259910_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11231703_1031202460265054_7049474575515679389_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/11145111_1031202606931706_1407584393406805667_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11227588_1031202613598372_8893074247486456344_o.jp g

Keith A
09-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Nice...glad it made it there okay.

texbike
09-17-2015, 11:24 PM
It's here -

dave

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/11120044_1031202530265047_4974800103429347085_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/12027167_1031202466931720_7637508294051849829_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12022457_1031202596931707_7245467851944619122_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/11999753_1031202456931721_7570170654111262576_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12001028_1031202553598378_4316728130967259910_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11231703_1031202460265054_7049474575515679389_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/11145111_1031202606931706_1407584393406805667_o.jp g

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11227588_1031202613598372_8893074247486456344_o.jp g

I held this in my hands 3 weeks ago and it was surprising how light the frame was for its size. Cool project Dave. Good luck with it!

FYI, the matching jersey is on its way.

Cheers,

Texbike

Climb01742
09-18-2015, 06:59 AM

How do you apply it, from the top/outside or from the inside somehow? Thx.

redir
09-18-2015, 07:47 AM
What a beauty! Must be a thrill to have that back in your hands.

David Kirk
09-18-2015, 09:15 AM
What a beauty! Must be a thrill to have that back in your hands.

It is exciting. I don't get excited easily but when I was pulling it from the box yesterday it felt like a cool mixture of christmas morning and a history lesson.

It's cool when the circle closes.

dave

campy man
09-18-2015, 10:02 AM
It is exciting. I don't get excited easily but when I was pulling it from the box yesterday it felt like a cool mixture of christmas morning and a history lesson.

It's cool when the circle closes.

dave

Looking forward to seeing the build. Curious to know if you will re-finish or build as is?

This post is motivating me to build my Csi and start riding :D

eippo1
09-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Ok well I was thinking of cutting it and sawing down the pipe to try and get it out but I'll have to consider it now.

Do you think one more can will do the trick? Already been through three ;)

Holy crap! Nevermind. Also, DK that's a sweet bike to have in your shop. Look forward to seeing the build pics!

David Kirk
09-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Looking forward to seeing the build. Curious to know if you will re-finish or build as is?

This post is motivating me to build my Csi and start riding :D

The paint appears to be original and while it has some issues here and there it's only original once so it will get built up as is with a new fork painted to match.

dave

jmoore
09-18-2015, 10:56 AM
The paint appears to be original and while it has some issues here and there it's only original once so it will get built up as is with a new fork painted to match.

dave

Good call.

David Kirk
09-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Great plans for it Dave!

Cheers,

Texbike

I just wanted to let you know that the jersey arrived over the weekend - thanks so much!

dave

texbike
09-28-2015, 04:55 PM
I just wanted to let you know that the jersey arrived over the weekend - thanks so much!

dave

Fantastic! I hope that you enjoy it!

texbike

weisan
09-28-2015, 05:03 PM
dave pal, i know it's a lot to ask...is there anyway you could sport this hairdo when you are out riding this bike?

http://www.headsetpress.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/504044Cipollini4.jpg

David Kirk
09-28-2015, 05:33 PM
dave pal, i know it's a lot to ask...is there anyway you could sport this hairdo when you are out riding this bike?

http://www.headsetpress.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/504044Cipollini4.jpg

For you Wei-pal - of course!

dave

Lund
01-31-2017, 05:36 PM
Thought I would bump this thread and share some pictures of my Coors Light Team replica frame! This bike was the reason I found, and later joined, this forum.

I had always been drawn to Serotta bikes and especially this colorway. Found this beauty on Craigslist and paid $420 complete with a Shimano 8-speed tricolor groupset in 2010 or 2011. It was always a little too big so I rode with a very short stem (70mm or 80mm) which wasn't ideal, but i loved it anyway!

This was my 2nd or 3rd 'real' bike. I rode it heavily for about 3 years doing bike courier work and road rides. The headtube cracked; I had it fixed and continued to ride until the other side of the headtube developed an even larger crack. On the advice of a frame builder I did not pursue another fix, as it would probably just develop another weak spot.

Only picture I can find of it built up, also pre-structural damage..
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wearedressedtokill/IMG_0405.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/wearedressedtokill/media/IMG_0405.jpg.html)

Currently hanging on my wall (driveside)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wearedressedtokill/IMG_0847.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/wearedressedtokill/media/IMG_0847.jpg.html)

(non-driveside)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wearedressedtokill/IMG_0852.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/wearedressedtokill/media/IMG_0852.jpg.html)

The drive side head tube which was repaired by a local SF frame welder
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wearedressedtokill/IMG_0867.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/wearedressedtokill/media/IMG_0867.jpg.html)

The non-driveside head tube which has a big long crack, which developed a little less than a year after it was repaired (the welder told me this would probably happen..)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wearedressedtokill/IMG_0860.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/wearedressedtokill/media/IMG_0860.jpg.html)

The neon paint practically glowed in the dark! Even after sitting neglected in the sun (before I bought it).
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wearedressedtokill/IMG_0875.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/wearedressedtokill/media/IMG_0875.jpg.html)

Besides the cracked head tube, the fork is a bit wonky (had to bend the steerer back to correct position with a fork jig after I bought it and it never was 100% solid) and the derailleur hanger has been bent back into place too many times to count, so because of those issues, I don't envision riding this beast again.

I like it as a nostalgic wall piece, but wonder, does anyone have any recommendations or examples for creative repurposing? Cut out the tubes and make a table? Stool? Combine with another frame and make a tall bike?

What you do with your old beat-up frames?

Black Dog
01-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Is the head tube cracked or the lug? Wonder is David Kirk could chime in and let you know if there is a chance of repair with a new lug.

Lund
01-31-2017, 06:10 PM
The lug is cracked (it can be seen in photo #5).

But like I stated above, the fork is basically totaled. The steerer tube is bent (again) and the individual blades are no longer aligned. That, coupled with the fact the rear derailleur hanger is super noodly and weak from realigning it multiple times, discourages me from fixing again.

Also to make matters worse, the local frame builder whom I had a rapport with moved away from SF. :(

KJMUNC
01-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Something similar would be awesome!!

cmg
01-31-2017, 10:30 PM
there is something similar on ebay. your Coors replacement is just a respray away.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2017, 06:12 AM
Thought I would bump this thread and share some pictures of my Coors Light Team replica frame! This bike was the reason I found, and later joined, this forum.

I like it as a nostalgic wall piece, but wonder, does anyone have any recommendations or examples for creative repurposing? Cut out the tubes and make a table? Stool? Combine with another frame and make a tall bike?

What you do with your old beat-up frames?

Stool

steveoz
02-03-2017, 12:14 AM
I'm glad mine is still trucking...pretty much.. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=184454