PDA

View Full Version : cross/cyclo sizing

buddybikes
08-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Currently run a 56 seat 55.5 toptube, 110 stem, and about 5cm drop on my road bike. thinking of getting a late season cx/gravel bike after the leaves come down. Usually if ride my old 26" Fat Chance around, but thinking a road setup would be better for my hands to move around more. Sizing, would I stay similar? So generic 56x56 with a 105 or would I shorten it a bit?

Was thinking of grabbing one of those cheap Motobecane ti's jw/105 for 1399 on bikes direct unless someone has a better idea. I WANT that 55 Firefly of Jamie's in the classifieds but hard time justifiying to FF's.

dutchgenius
08-30-2015, 10:10 AM
For Cyclo sizing, most people I know flip and sometimes shorten the stem. I run 90mm on both but Cross is flipped upright and i run shallow drop bars. My cross bike also has a 0.5cm shorter Effective Top Tube. Overall, it is more of an upright feel, as you are unlikely to be stretched out in a faux-TT position.

mattsbeers
08-30-2015, 10:31 AM
It mus be that time of year.......every year this question pops up. You ride the same size bike for cross but use the widest bar your can and shorten the reach by about a 1cm, as well as raising the bar by the same amount.

But I would say (not making assumptions based on the pedestrian nature of the question) that if your position is already pretty upright you don't really need to do much different. The concern is with having the ability to move your body weight over the back of the saddle.

As for a gravel bike........IDK as that is not a thing? If you have a dialed cross position you can use a cross bike for errthing and anything. Most Cross Pros ride the same bike with the same position on the road and they seem to survive.

preludervtec
08-31-2015, 01:09 AM
I use the same size frame and width handlebar. Only thing that changes is the stem is 1cm shorter and I flip the stem upright.

BSUdude
08-31-2015, 08:43 AM
I use the same size frame and width handlebar. Only thing that changes is the stem is 1cm shorter and I flip the stem upright.

This. Also some people like to angle their bars/shifters up slightly too (especially if your road position is low), which further shortens the reach.