PDA

View Full Version : preaching to the carbon choir?

eddief
05-11-2006, 09:39 AM
So I as much as anyone can fall prey to the "new bike effect." The oh my god everyone should get one of these over zealous response to a new bike. I won't go there. But after 100 miles on the Giant OCR composite and after this morning's post breakfast ride in the sun, I found myself enjoying the ride a lot.

First of all it fits. A few things that I'm pretty sure are true and not in my imagination. This carbon bike really does ride normal street pavement in a smooth and modulated way. Not dull, but excellent road feel. Definitely different than my steels, but good, really good. Cracks and freeze dips are all pretty well modulated.

Then there is the basic lightness factor combined with stiffness of the entire frame system. Though not a racer, when I step on it, it does seem to have a more direct feeling response than my steels. Hokey or real, that's my impression. And don't get me wrong, I luz all the steels.

It does have long reach brakes so could be interesting racer boy bike with fatter tires. Finally, this was meant to be an experiment via an entry level carbon that fits. I know we have lots of opinions about Serottas and Hampsten and Parlee and Tournesol; all over which I druel in private and on this board on a regular basis. But my experiment in entry level carbon has been way funner and satisfying than my Giant OCR C bike shop test ride a month ago could have foretold.

catulle
05-11-2006, 09:44 AM
My mom used to tell me: Dude, if it works, don't fix it, atmo.

coylifut
05-11-2006, 09:45 AM
ande this morning's post breakfast ride in the sun, I found myself enjoying the ride a lot.

I'm not surprised at all. enjoy

Smiley
05-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Eddie , to your credit you made that bike fit you. I would not say the bike fits your 3 points as well as the Rex you have. I wonder if the triangle built in carbon was more in better proportions to your needs would the Carbone work better for you. I can say the shorter chain stays and higher bb and probably shorter trail would not thrill this old captain one bit. Thanks for you taking on this experiment so we don't have too :)

eddief
05-11-2006, 09:49 AM
You might be mixing up my frameset with a TCR. The OCR C large is the near spitting image of my rex. It does have longer stays and a lower bb and a more relaxed geo. It fits.