PDA

View Full Version : OT: Would you leave your pet in a disaster?

Sandy
05-11-2006, 08:33 AM
My daughter has a wonderful lab (or lab mixed), named Darby. Last year I took care of Darby for 6 months. I am now taking care of him again for awhile.
I thought about the many pets that were left behind in the Katrina event.

If I was told to evacuate an area, because of some impending disaster, and leave Darby behind, there would be no way that I would comply with that demand. If Darby had to stay, then I would stay, no matter the risk to me. The decision would be quite simple to make.

What would you do??

Under the table with Darby,

Sandy

JohnS
05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I'd take Bear. Not only is he a loving companion, but he's also very protective, which could come in handy in a situation like that.

Climb01742
05-11-2006, 08:43 AM
to paraphrase, someone would have the pry my pets from my cold dead hands before i'd leave them. let politicians go under before pets.

Bill Bove
05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Sandy, down here in Florida that is not a hypothetical question. Right now we're having problems with wildfires forcing evacuations and hurricane season is around the corner. Most shelters do not allow pets, most people do not evacuate. I have rode out five hurricanes in the past three years staying at home in part becuase I needed to be near my business but more so because I would not leave my cats behind. No way, no how. I have learned from Katrina though that when it looks like a really bad one I will leave early and go far enough away that the cats can come too.

Tailwinds
05-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I have learned from Katrina though that when it looks like a really bad one I will leave early and go far enough away that the cats can come too.

I learned from living most of my life near the Gulf and the Atlantic that when it looks bad -- GET OUT!! And there is no way in hell that I'd leave my pets behind. :no: :butt:

zap
05-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Cats come with us. Each has a carrier.

manet
05-11-2006, 09:06 AM

dbrk
05-11-2006, 09:12 AM
If it were me or Rocco and Mira the dogs, the wife would take the dogs. I can't blame her.

dbrk

sam.g
05-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Easy decision, I'd never leave my pets, period. However it's readily apparent why disaster planning and execution are so incredibly complicated and difficult, especially when people don't heed warnings and evacuacte in a timely manner WITH their pets.

catulle
05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
IŽd never leave a pet behind, no matter who he was. :no:

Bud
05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
We would never leave our dogs. They are very important to us.

Len J
05-11-2006, 09:36 AM
My priorities would be:

1.) My Wife
2.) My Kids
3.) Me
4.) My Pets.

I love our Dog, but if I had to choose between him and my wife or kids, it's a no brainer.

Now if i had to choose between me or the dog, that's a tougher decision......What happens to my Wife and kids if something happens to me? Who takes care of them? Who supports them? I think it would be irresponsible of me to risk serious injury or death to either save my dog or keep my dog company in a serious storm. If it were just me I had to worry about, I'd probably stay with the Dog, but.........

I suspect it's easier to write down on a message board what you would do than actually makethe decision to do it.

IMO

Len

Headwinds
05-11-2006, 09:43 AM
If I was told to evacuate an area, because of some impending disaster, and leave Darby behind, there would be no way that I would comply with that demand. If Darby had to stay, then I would stay, no matter the risk to me. The decision would be quite simple to make.

We have two cats... But I have clearly told my wife that if such a disaster happens, the pests, sorry the pets, would have to stay.

I mean, a hurricane is not such a disaster as a meteorite stricking the Florida peninsula! I agree, it could be something really bad as when Katrina, but... I have survived a couple of nasty hurricanes in the Caribbean.

If the authorities tell me that I have to go and leave the pets behind, that is exactly what I would do. Pets can be replaced, human lives don't.

Think what would happen if you take your loved pets with you and then you have to stay in a shelter where pets are not welcomed! I surely would not like to share my sleeping bag with your dog or cat no matter how much you like him!

It is hard for me to comprehend how certain people would choose their pets over another human's life in certain situations. But perhaps, this has to do with my upbringing.... I was always raised with the thought that pets are pets.

mwos
05-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I definitely would not leave my cat. She's 18-19 years old, needs medication every day and subq treatment every 3rd day.

She's not as fragile I perceive her to be but I don't know how long she would survive on her own.

When I lived in Cincinnati and we had tornado watches/ warnings I would take my cats to the basement and put them in their carriers until the watches/warnings were over. That way, if something did happen I had a better chance of finding them than if they were lose.

Kathi

coylifut
05-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm taking my dog. Did you ever wonder why you see so many homeless people with dogs? It's so they can sleep.

Lifelover
05-11-2006, 09:56 AM
The question is a little broad. Certianly if time and circumstance allow there would be no question that the pets would be taken care of. However, my priorities mirror those of Len. If it was a get out quick situration I would do my best to provide for them (2 cats, 3 dogs) but I would never risk the health of my family for the pets. My wife would feel a little different.

I could see how as I get older and my kids are out on their own I might approach it differently.

Sandy
05-11-2006, 11:27 AM
If it were me or Rocco and Mira the dogs, the wife would take the dogs. I can't blame her.

dbrk

I would toss you to the dogs. Then I would take your bikes! :)

:) Sensitive Sandy :)

roman meal
05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
The marine tank is too heavy to carry. Sloshes a lot.

1happygirl
05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I would never leave them. It speaks of this forum of caring people that I am in the majority.

Kevan
05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Let's assume this question is being asked for when situations are at their most dire, for certainly most people, given the opportunity, would indeed save their pets. But let's say for example, my home and the homes around me are caught in a flash flood and my rescuers came either by helicopter or boat to rescue me and my family. I would leave my pets in as safe a setting as I could provide them and then leave with my family. Why? My family needs me more. Forgetting the personal attachments for a moment, my family requires me to support them financially. Also, I am not about to consume a boat or aircraft where space is a premium or places a rescuer in additional danger.

I would ask and if told no.. I'd leave. You can bet I would be there for them as soon as it were possible to return.

Russell
05-11-2006, 02:46 PM
You tell me....

Kevan
05-11-2006, 02:52 PM
actually might make it easier.

William
05-11-2006, 03:11 PM
The questions is:

Would Rhea Basset take me?

BaaWoo!
BaaWoo!

We love Rhea Basset. We would do everything we could to take her with us. If you are asking me if I had to choose between my wife & kids or RB, I think it's obvious what my choice would be. It would be heart breaking, but she would stay. I would do what ever I could to make things as safe as possible under the circumstances.

William

(besides, she's certified in CQC Tactical Shotgun anyway. ;) )

DRZRM
05-11-2006, 03:19 PM
It's funny you should ask, because my girlfriend (with whom I live and we have three dogs) and I often argue about this. I love my dog, I love her dogs, when the call to evacuate comes, I'll pack my family--including my dogs--into the car, and go however or wherever I need to.

If (as took place in LA) the safety of my human family was in question, and the dogs were going to keep us from getting out safely (when the prying from one's cold dead hands is no longer a joke or theoretical) I would not hesitate for a second getting the people I love out of harms way. She thinks this makes me a heartless person, I have to admit up front that I can't weight the life of people and animals on the same scale.

Anyway, I figured, since I talk about this so much, I'd answer this thread.

93legendti
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
...If (as took place in LA) the safety of my human family was in question, and the dogs were going to keep us from getting out safely (when the prying from one's cold dead hands is no longer a joke or theoretical) I would not hesitate for a second getting the people I love out of harms way. She thinks this makes me a heartless person, I have to admit up front that I can't weight the life of people and animals on the same scale.

Anyway, I figured, since I talk about this so much, I'd answer this thread.

Exactly. Now, for an interesting question--take the Ottrott or the pet? :D

e-RICHIE
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
IŽd never leave a pet behind, no matter who he was. :no:

i just saw this!!
spencer would never leave you or me behind either.
he's going to provo with us on the wagon train atmo.

catulle-issimo and spencer...

Cinci Jim
05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I moved to the Rockridge area of Oakland shortly after the Oakland hills firestorm in '91. Many families were forced to leave pets or the pets were trapped in houses as the fire started during the day and many owners were at work. Many pets were killed in the fire.

I'm not really sure how it worked but families who lost their homes were given a tile to decorate in remembrance and to help in closure to the fire. The tiles were then installed as a mural at the Rockridge BART station, as this station serves the area near the fire.

The number of tiles drawn by children remembering their lost pets is truly moving.

If ever you are in the area it is worth a stop to look.

catulle
05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Years ago, when my daughter Annie was a year old, our very wild and excentric Springer Spaniel named Miller started barking incessantly at three in the morning. Because life in the tropics is full of surprises of all sorts, I stepped out of the house with a Sig Sauer 226 in my hand. Miller was running around the yard and barking his lungs out without any apparent reason. I checked here and there and didnŽt find any reason to keep me any longer from my sleep so I went back into the house and threw the pillow over my head.

However, just when I was beginning to enjoy a dream of some sort or the other, I jumped on the bed as a result of a thunderous noise that made me think someone had rammed a big truck against our door. By the time I opened my eyes, Ivette, my wife, was already holding Annie and shaking my arm. I quickly got hold of the Sig once again and rushed to the front door. Miller was barking but I also heard a strange ruffling of branches. I first looked out of the window as the door was closed and intact, and noticed a bunch of branches in front of the window. When I finally walked out the front door I could see that an immense pine tree that had stood in front of my house for as long as I could remember and much more had fallen.

Apparently, the termites had eaten the heart of the pine tree in a way that was not at all noticeable from just looking at the tree. Eventually, the tree plain broke off from the very base of the trunk and fell on my yard making a hell of a loud racket. Thankfully, it fell almost as if Miller had directed the operation and anything the tree could have demolished was spared.

Somehow Miller knew or sensed the tree was about to fall and desperately tried to tell me. Regretfully, Miller was so loony that I never took his words too seriously. The next day, though, I gave him a case of High Life long-necks as a token of my appreciation. His favorite brew, atmo.

Sandy
05-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Some very interesting thoughts thus far.

If it was time to leave, and Darby could not go along, I would have to tell my wife that she should go with someone else, so that she would be safe. I don't see how I could just leave Darby. He is a living creature, with much meaning to me, and he is dependent on me. I couldn't just discard that reponsibility and love for him.

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

catulle
05-11-2006, 04:57 PM
i just saw this!!
spencer would never leave you or me behind either.
he's going to provo with us on the wagon train atmo.

catulle-issimo and spencer...

Spencer for President, atmo.

manet
05-11-2006, 05:00 PM

http://www.earlyrepublic.net/whigs.htm

Sandy
05-11-2006, 05:02 PM

Spencer for Secretary of State. DARBY for President!

Darby's DaDa

catulle
05-11-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.earlyrepublic.net/whigs.htm

Well, the world is in dear need of something other than dunkies and elephants, atmo. The Whigs would do just fine, atmo. Spencer for President...!

catulle
05-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Spencer for Secretary of State. DARBY for President!

Darby's DaDa

You better start campaigning quickly, atmo. SPENCER FOR PRESIDENT...!!!

manet
05-11-2006, 05:54 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1011.jpg

manet
05-11-2006, 05:55 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1015.jpg

Headwinds
05-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Exactly. Now, for an interesting question--take the Ottrott or the pet? :D

How about the pet-Ottrott? :p

Well, a bike is a thing! I surely leave the bike behind. There is no question a bike can be (emotionally) replaced much easier than a pet.

Kevin
05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Never leave your wingman. Never leave your dog.

Kevin

catulle
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_1015.jpg

Boonies, 1985. Spencer for President...!

1centaur
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
And how about if you want to stay with your pet but your spouse won't leave without you? 10 years later you can have a great pet that you love and make happy and he/she makes you happy, but if you lost a wife or a child you would NEVER get over it. A lot of life is about playing the odds and deciding if you can live with the downside. If it's just you and the pet, then you would not have to live with the downside because you'd be dead. Otherwise, you must be a grown-up and make the hard choice. As an avid dog and cat lover, that choice would hurt me long and deeply, but not irretrievably.

manet
05-11-2006, 06:14 PM
the wound bleeds daily

Sandy
05-11-2006, 10:11 PM
You better start campaigning quickly, atmo. SPENCER FOR PRESIDENT...!!!

Silly you. Don't you know that Ottrott owners don't go to elections? They buy elections. DARBY recently told me that he was going to appoint SPENCER as Secretary Of State, when he (DARBY) is elected president. Now he is not sure. He has decided what to do with you and it is NOT pretty at all. :)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Sandy$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

catulle
05-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Silly you. Don't you know that Ottrott owners don't go to elections? They buy elections. DARBY recently told me that he was going to appoint SPENCER as Secretary Of State, when he (DARBY) is elected president. Now he is not sure. He has decided what to do with you and it is NOT pretty at all. :)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Sandy$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oooops, is that Darby W? I hope not, atmo. :no:

andy mac
05-12-2006, 07:29 AM
i had a wicked client who would ask questions like this at dinner.

1. would you kill your pet for $10,000?
2. would you kill your pet for $1,000,000
3. would you kill your pet for $10,000,000?

the responses always surprised.

:beer:

jeffg
05-12-2006, 07:48 AM
my wife brought a dog into our lives that I loved as much as I can love anything. It broke our hearts when she died and I cannot imagine ever replacing her. I had other pets before, but they were pets -- she was family.

Now, I would protect my wife and kids, but if it had ever come down to a choice between me and the bouvier, I don't know what I would have done. She would have given her life for us ... I don't expect that of random strangers and the reciprocity is limited, but I took this living creature in and she put her life in our hands. That's a different social contract to me

Plus, putting all people on the same scale as dogs ignores the moral character of a great number of people -- what about your pet or Stalin, imho?

jeffg
05-12-2006, 07:51 AM
i had a wicked client who would ask questions like this at dinner.

1. would you kill your pet for $10,000?
2. would you kill your pet for $1,000,000
3. would you kill your pet for $10,000,000?

the responses always surprised.

:beer:

I think that about makes my point about dogs and people. :no: