PDA

View Full Version : Recover from over-training?

makoti
08-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Ok, I think I've done it. Over-trained for a big ride coming up in a month. I just haven't been recovering after my rides of any length. Legs constantly tired, cramps on the longer ones, washed out. Don't think I'm too far gone, but what have you found is a good way to snap back? How much rest? How much do you limit riding? Got a month...

shovelhd
08-29-2015, 10:11 AM
How often do you rest? If you are training hard you should plan on at least one or two rest days per week. That's off the bike. With a month to go I would also plan a rest week, which is reduced intensity and volume. That's not off the bike.

bigbill
08-29-2015, 10:12 AM
I've got a gravel bike, an old cross bike with low gears and 32mm tires. I take it out for an hour and keep my HR below 120. I've been riding 7 days a week most of the summer, the gravel bike ride is my recovery. Sometimes the only thing to do is take some days off the bike, put your feet up, and eat.

One thing to look at, chronic dehydration from never quite catching up with your fluids can give overtraining symptoms. I weigh myself before a ride and check afterwards to see how much fluid I lost. Here in NE Texas, it's not uncommon to come home 5# lighter after a 2 hour ride even with two large bottles.

makoti
08-29-2015, 10:18 AM
One thing to look at, chronic dehydration from never quite catching up with your fluids can give overtraining symptoms. I weigh myself before a ride and check afterwards to see how much fluid I lost. Here in NE Texas, it's not uncommon to come home 5# lighter after a 2 hour ride even with two large bottles.

I think this is part of my problem. I'm guessing (hoping?) that the fatigue & muscle soreness will start to pass as I drink like crazy. H2O, of course. ;)

makoti
08-29-2015, 10:20 AM
How often do you rest? If you are training hard you should plan on at least one or two rest days per week. That's off the bike. With a month to go I would also plan a rest week, which is reduced intensity and volume. That's not off the bike.

Yeah, not enough. The ride has no rest days for two weeks, and I was trying to be ready for that. Too many weeks of one day at best off the bike.

Joachim
08-29-2015, 10:23 AM
It's really hard to say how far gone are you without seeing any data and all the other variables (sleep, morning heart rate etc) that preceded this. If it is bad I would take three days completely off to begin with. Watch your hydration and nutrition. Eat clean like the bodybuilders say. Then do 3 1hr recovery rides in whatever your recovery zone might be. Then see if you still have to same symptoms. You should really take your morning hr since that would've most likely indicated your overtraining during the early stages.

phjosephson
08-29-2015, 10:29 AM
As a last-minute fix, I've had great luck with foam rollers to get my legs feeling fresher, faster. Really breaks up the tension and returns flexibility.

Won't fix your overtraining problem, but may help treat some of the symptoms.

shovelhd
08-29-2015, 12:11 PM
I concur with Joachim.

TBLS
08-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Just worked thru a similar situation a month ago....worked in a week of recovery rides, reducing time to 45 minutes, through on hr monitor to ensure I stayed in zone. Also found I was under eating so added a power bar before rides.

I needed the discipline of a full week ....worked for me and rode a nice century time the following week

shovelhd
08-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Recovery to me means 25TSS or less.

Louis
08-29-2015, 12:47 PM
As a last-minute fix, I've had great luck with foam rollers to get my legs feeling fresher, faster. Really breaks up the tension and returns flexibility.

I'm interested in trying these.

Can anyone post a link to some good info (video would be great) on what types of rolling "exercises" you'd recommend for recovery from cycling? (info the rollers themselves would also help - are most about the same, or are some better than others?)

Also, when do you do it? Soon after the ride, the next day?

TIA

blessthismess
08-29-2015, 12:55 PM
For cramping be sure to keep up on your electrolyte levels. H20 will not fix everything.

makoti
08-29-2015, 12:55 PM

Can anyone post a link to some good info (video would be great) on what types of rolling "exercises" you'd recommend for recovery from cycling? (info the rollers themselves would also help - are most about the same, or are some better than others?)

TIA

I'd been looking at some, and found these sites: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140807-Physiotherapy-Foam-Roller-Routine-0 and http://sparta-pt.com/2011/01/let-the-good-times-roll-self-myofascial-release-101/
I've decided to get a cheaper one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAEJ3VI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ASO6U4SYGJ2CF. What I've read seems (correct me if I'm wrong, roller fans) to say that, for the money, the smooth one is every bit as good.
And thanks for the input, everyone. It sounds like I'm doing the same sort of stuff. Good to know I'm on the right track. Took four days off, then did a very easy 25 miles (likely too much, will do less tomorrow) yesterday & taking today off again.
Joachim.."eat clean"? Not sure what that means, exactly.

SlackMan
08-29-2015, 01:10 PM

TIA

My understanding is that the solid foam rollers break down relatively quickly, so I bought a roller like the one at the link below (bought if from Amazon). You can see exercises at the same link.

https://www.tptherapy.com/instructions/GRID_FoamRoller

Joachim
08-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I'd been looking at some, and found these sites: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140807-Physiotherapy-Foam-Roller-Routine-0 and http://sparta-pt.com/2011/01/let-the-good-times-roll-self-myofascial-release-101/
I've decided to get a cheaper one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAEJ3VI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ASO6U4SYGJ2CF. What I've read seems (correct me if I'm wrong, roller fans) to say that, for the money, the smooth one is every bit as good.
And thanks for the input, everyone. It sounds like I'm doing the same sort of stuff. Good to know I'm on the right track. Took four days off, then did a very easy 25 miles (likely too much, will do less tomorrow) yesterday & taking today off again.
Joachim.."eat clean"? Not sure what that means, exactly.

No processed food. No sodas, no sugary drinks. Lean protein. No junk.

makoti
08-29-2015, 01:11 PM
No processed food. No sodas, no sugary drinks. Lean protein. No junk.

Thanks. I guess Peeps are straight out, then, huh? ;)

makoti
08-29-2015, 01:13 PM
My understanding is that the solid foam rollers break down relatively quickly, so I bought a roller like the one at the link below (bought if from Amazon). You can see exercises at the same link.

https://www.tptherapy.com/instructions/GRID_FoamRoller

I was looking at that one. but I read somewhere that the older, lower density rollers did break down fast while the higher density ones lasted as long as these. But, how do you like it? It seems to be the one every vid I've watched uses.

Joachim
08-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks. I guess Peeps are straight out, then, huh? ;)

Every rider I have ever coached who makes a real adjustment to their diet, show major improvements and recover better than ever before. If you look at the time you invest in your training for this major event, wouldn't you want to check all the boxes? Yes peeps are out. eat your peeps after you reached the finish. :)

Get in the habit of taking your morning HR and make a note of it. You can thank me later

SlackMan
08-29-2015, 01:54 PM
I was looking at that one. but I read somewhere that the older, lower density rollers did break down fast while the higher density ones lasted as long as these. But, how do you like it? It seems to be the one every vid I've watched uses.

I really like it, but I should be clear that I've never tried a new high density solid one. I only tried solid foam ones in health clubs that might have been broken down too much. I suppose one other advantage is that, at least based on pictures, it looks like it is larger in diameter than most solid ones. On many stretches or exercises, I think the larger diameter makes it easier to get in right position and move in right position.

phjosephson
08-29-2015, 03:36 PM
I bought this high density roller off amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018E8FHW/ref=twister_B0065897MS

I'm not sure the density makes an enormous difference - the bigger difference is using it or not. If you're sore, any roller is going to cause some discomfort. I haven't noticed any breakdown of this foam, FWIW.

I also don't use any specific exercises - just add as much weight as you can bear to the offending muscle and roll around on it. Doesn't have to be right away, either. Pretty unscientific.

JimmyTango
08-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Get in the habit of taking your morning HR and make a note of it. You can thank me later

Can you tell us a little more about this? Lower morning HR means better recovered (just a guess)?

regularguy412
08-29-2015, 05:31 PM
My HRM has a feature that helps me stay out of a potentially over-trained state. Here are the guidelines and a screenshot of part of this year's riding.

Training Load Status Curves

The red curve indicates your actual training load status and is based on your training results. The grey curve indicates the planned training load status and is based on the training targets on your diary. The grey curve continues to the future days if you have created training targets on your Diary. By comparing the planned training load status and the actual training load status you can analyze the strenuousness of your training session and use the training load information when planning your future training sessions.

The training load curves are on red, yellow and green background.

If your training load status curve is on
Green:

* You are recovered from previous training sessions and ready to train more.
* If you're continuously in green you can increase your cumulative training load by adding more training sessions to your weekly plan or making the training sessions more intensive.
* Intensive training sessions and races should preferably be done when you are "in green".

Yellow:

* Cumulative training load is on a high level.
* You can still train but should avoid high intensity training and/or races.

Red:

* Cumulative training load is on a very high level.
* If you continue training when "in red", it may lead to a state of overreaching.

Training Load Bars

The training load bars indicate your daily training load value. The red bar describes your actual daily training load value that is based on your training results of that day. The grey bar describes your planned training load value and is based on your training targets of the day. By comparing the planned training load and the actual training load you can analyze the strenuousness of your training session and use the training load information when planning your future training sessions.

Training intensity and duration as well as physical parameters (for instance, age, weight) affect training load.

Place your mouse over the training load bar and the date of the training session to see the sport and training load values. If you have had several training sessions during one day, all the training sessions are shown.

April and May were pretty good. From then on, it was either really rainy/stormy or incredibly hot. Just now getting to where I 'shoulda' been back in June.
Mike in AR:beer:

Louis
08-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys - I just ordered a roller. Of course, that's the easy part.

Now I have to actually use it. If I notice a difference that will provide the required motivation.

bigbill
08-29-2015, 09:21 PM
I mentioned the hydration thing earlier. I had a day earlier this month when I could tell that I was not recovering. I took the day off the bike and just concentrated on hydration. I used a large stadium cup (24oz) with ice water with NUUN tablets dissolved to get my electrolytes. If you get up a few times during the night to pee, mission accomplished.

makoti
08-29-2015, 10:24 PM
I also have my roller on the way (ended up going with the one Slackman suggested), have been drinking like crazy today, and plan to cut lots of the sugar out (honestly, gonna be the hard part. I have a killer sweet tooth). Been using the Osmo stuff on the bike & been happy with it. Plan to try the Recovery drink as well. Going for a very easy 20 tomorrow. Feeling a lot better about all this, now. Thanks everyone. Great help.

Louis
08-29-2015, 10:30 PM
and plan to cut lots of the sugar out (honestly, gonna be the hard part. I have a killer sweet tooth)

Assuming you don't have a problem with artificial stuff, sugar-free mints and gum are the way to go for this.

Joachim
08-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Can you tell us a little more about this? Lower morning HR means better recovered (just a guess)?

Not quite. If you are not overtrained or getting sick you will see a stable heart rate (within 2-3 beats) every morning. Once you hit a heavy overload (different than overtraining) period it might go up 4 beats or so above. That's normal for my coached riders before I pull them back. If they have 5 beats or higher elevated HR for more than two mornings, it's a sign of something worse. Often it precedes getting sick so it helps with preventative measures. In the OPs case, he would've noticed an elevated heart rate and take a day off or recovery day. Most likely he just kept going and dug himself a nice big hole.

shovelhd
08-30-2015, 09:06 AM
Another heart rate indicator I use is when I am doing intervals and my HR gets stuck somewhere around LTHR. It doesn't matter how much harder I go, my HR will not go up. That's a sign of the need for a rest day. HR should be elastic.

Joachim
08-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Another heart rate indicator I use is when I am doing intervals and my HR gets stuck somewhere around LTHR. It doesn't matter how much harder I go, my HR will not go up. That's a sign of the need for a rest day. HR should be elastic.

Correct. The OP would've most likely noticed less heart rate responsiveness during riding and an elevated resting heart rate. Both of these are pretty good indicators and would've prevented what's going on currently.

makoti
08-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Not quite. If you are not overtrained or getting sick you will see a stable heart rate (within 2-3 beats) every morning. Once you hit a heavy overload (different than overtraining) period it might go up 4 beats or so above. That's normal for my coached riders before I pull them back. If they have 5 beats or higher elevated HR for more than two mornings, it's a sign of something worse. Often it precedes getting sick so it helps with preventative measures. In the OPs case, he would've noticed an elevated heart rate and take a day off or recovery day. Most likely he just kept going and dug himself a nice big hole.

Without the benefit of actual data, I'd have to agree with this assessment. So you take the reading AS SOON as you wake up? 1 full minute?

Joachim
08-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Put your heart monitor next to your bed. Wake up, put it on and record the value in a notebook or whatever software program you use.

bigbill
08-30-2015, 10:55 AM
My phone has the S Health app. I can take my waking pulse just by placing my finger over the lens. It also stores the readings. My HR is typically my age (50) when I wake and usually close to that in the evening. Anything higher than that may make me change my training for the day.

makoti
08-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Put your heart monitor next to your bed. Wake up, put it on and record the value in a notebook or whatever software program you use.

Any value to actually sleeping in it?

Joachim
08-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Any value to actually sleeping in it?

Sleeping with a strap around your chest?waking up and putting it on is fine