PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need a good back pack

stephenmarklay
08-28-2015, 05:34 PM
I don稚 want to spend huge money but my family and I hike a fair bit locally and on camp trips and need something better than my cheap school book back pack.

I want something that will hold on to me well so I can run a little to catch up the kids. Now I have a 5 pound tent so that needs to go in it as well as other stuffs one may need hiking. I have no clue what they cost but I would really like to stay under about $200.

I pretty much am clueless on this subject so any input would help.

tiretrax
08-28-2015, 06:33 PM
REI - go there.

joe.e
08-28-2015, 06:42 PM
are you looking for a day pack, or an actual 'I am going to walk a long way and then camp' backpack?

if its the second category, the gregory baltoro that's on sale at rei is an amazing bag. I have a two generation old version, and it is easily my favorite backpack (among assorted gregory and osprey models). There is a weight penalty, but I chose all day comfort over light weight.

and yea, go to rei, try on every model, and make sure they load it up with a real world amount of weight so you can see how it feels on you while walking around the store.

christian
08-28-2015, 07:08 PM
There's just no way to answer this question. If you want a backpacking backpack we need to know your base weight, how long trips, etc. if you want a daypack, any good brand that fits you right will work

Ken Robb
08-28-2015, 07:18 PM
I'd suggest you go to REI where the staff knows about these things and you can try the packs they suggest for your intended use. They have dedicated weights in bags so you can experience carrying different weights in the contenders. If the one you buy doesn't make you happy in the real world they are very good about accepting returns of used merchandise.

stephenmarklay
08-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks you guys. I am going to got to REI again tomorrow and try some out.

I am not sure but my guess is the most I will do is an overnight hike in/out. I would likely have to carry for my son or daughter at some point too.

It will for sure get a lot of day hike use that I will carry for the family. That only amounts to a gallon of water, food, medical etc.

JAllen
08-28-2015, 09:19 PM
I don稚 want to spend huge money but my family and I hike a fair bit locally and on camp trips and need something better than my cheap school book back pack.

I want something that will hold on to me well so I can run a little to catch up the kids. Now I have a 5 pound tent so that needs to go in it as well as other stuffs one may need hiking. I have no clue what they cost but I would really like to stay under about $200.

I pretty much am clueless on this subject so any input would help.

If you find yourself in Portland, stop by Next Adventure. New and used.

benito
08-28-2015, 09:48 PM
I have nothing but nice things to say about gregory packs.

gasman
08-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks you guys. I am going to got to REI again tomorrow and try some out.

I am not sure but my guess is the most I will do is an overnight hike in/out. I would likely have to carry for my son or daughter at some point too.

It will for sure get a lot of day hike use that I will carry for the family. That only amounts to a gallon of water, food, medical etc.

You'll have to really look at what's available. I'm a total pack knucklehead. I have everything from a small hip pack that only holds a quart of water and few other things to a monster Dana Design Astraplane that holds over 7,000 cu in but is heavy even empty .I haven't used this pack since climbing in Alaska.

There are much lighter packs now. My current favorite is an Osprey Exos 58 which holds about 3,500 cu in of gear.I paid around $200 7 years ago for the pack. The size seems to hit the sweet spot for me. Empty it is light but I can hold enough for a multi-night ski trip or a week backpacking trip. It should hold enough for your family as long as you don't bring too many luxuries.

Good luck in your search. There are a lot of great choices out there. REI is a good place to look.

fogrider
08-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Osprey makes a good pack but even looking at what they have to offer is a lot to take in. first I would recommend a top load, your stuff will stay secure without always making sure its closed up. And I like a top pouch to get at stuff I need often.

and of course fit is really important. others brands I like Dakine and Topo Designs but really, see what fits and is comfortable.

Uncle Jam's Army
08-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Osprey, probably something in the 50L range if you're doing overnight backpacking and cinch it down for day hikes.

gdw
08-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Start off with a visit to REI as others have suggested. Their employees are usually pretty knowledgeable and should be able to give you a good overview of their current offerings. The Spokane store rents out gear so you can try out a few before purchasing one.

Len J
08-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Its not as well known, but I have 2 MHM bags that are the best I've ever used. I have the Salute 34 and the Switch 24. The 34 sounds perfect for what you describe.

The Snake Loader zipper is incredibly useful.

http://mhmgear.com/

Len

stephenmarklay
08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Its not as well known, but I have 2 MHM bags that are the best I've ever used. I have the Salute 32 and the Switch 24. The 32 sounds perfect for what you describe.

The Snake Loader zipper is incredibly useful.

http://mhmgear.com/

Len

Thank you. I will check it out when I go to REI.

Len J
08-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Thank you. I will check it out when I go to REI.

If they don't have it in the store, its on the REI website

Len J
08-29-2015, 10:04 AM
http://cinemanows.ru/film/uMhJL-wW8B0/MHM_Saluta_Raviaw.html

phjosephson
08-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Pro tip: bring your tent (or whatever you want to haul) to the store and check that it fits well on/in the backpack. Nothing worse than getting home and realizing it won't fit.

p nut
08-29-2015, 11:49 AM
How long of a hike are we talking? I'm going to ASSUME since kids are involved, it'll be <5 miles. I'd just get an REI branded 60-70L pack, or whatever's cheapest at that size (looks like $170 or so). Save the $ for UL gear for longer expeditions.

stephenmarklay
08-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Do any of the good day packs double as a adventure by bike pack?

stephenmarklay
08-29-2015, 12:14 PM
How long of a hike are we talking? I'm going to ASSUME since kids are involved, it'll be <5 miles. I'd just get an REI branded 60-70L pack, or whatever's cheapest at that size (looks like $170 or so). Save the $ for UL gear for longer expeditions.

Yeah our last pretty big hike was 8 miles but a fair amount of elevation and it took 6 hours with the kids :)

gdw
08-29-2015, 12:24 PM
The Osprey Talon 22 has been popular with bikepackers for years.

choke
08-29-2015, 12:24 PM
How long of a hike are we talking? I'm going to ASSUME since kids are involved, it'll be <5 miles. I'd just get an REI branded 60-70L pack, or whatever's cheapest at that size (looks like $170 or so). Save the $ for UL gear for longer expeditions.That's a pretty big pack for a day hike...I don't use one that large for a 3 day trip.

stephenmarklay
08-29-2015, 12:33 PM
The Osprey Talon 22 has been popular with bikepackers for years.

Thank you. I am going to check this out. I do think that is about the min size up to say a 35.

gdw
08-29-2015, 01:06 PM
If you're looking for a pack for offroad bikepacking the 20-25l packs are probable the largest packs that are practical. Larger capacity packs generally extend higher up your back and can contact the rear of your helmet on step descents obstructing your view of the trail.

gasman
08-29-2015, 02:01 PM

That's a big pack , I haven't used my 7,000 cu in pack in years. It's just too big.

p nut
08-29-2015, 03:05 PM
That's a big pack , I haven't used my 7,000 cu in pack in years. It's just too big.

I was thinking of him having to pack for his family. You can cinch down most packs pretty small anyway.

stephenmarklay
08-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Thank you everyone. I ultimately need two packs to best do everything I want. So I am going to start with the recommended Osprey 22.

This will serve most of my needs most of the time. I really can get two so my wife can share the load :)

Later when I need a big pack the Gregory 65 looks great. We borrowed a big pack this year and next year I will buy the big one.

Thanks again!

gasman
08-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Thank you everyone. I ultimately need two backs to best do everything I want. So I am going to start with the recommended Osprey 22.

This will serve most of my needs most of the time. I really can get two so my wife can share the load :)

Later when I need a big pack the Gregory 65 looks great. We borrowed a big pack this year and next year I will buy the big one.

Thanks again!

Great choices !

indyrider
08-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Great choice with the Osprey. Nicest pack Ive used since my old Dana Design packs when I was rangering with the Forest Service and living in a tent for 4 years....

stephenmarklay
08-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Well a slight turn of events :)

I went down to REI and they did not have the Osprey Talon 22 in my size. So I looked at the Osprey Stratos 24. That pack has a more substantial suspension which I really liked. So I tried that pack on and wore it around a bit.

However, in my size it was still too short. It felt like the weight (10 pound sand bag) was resting in the small of my back. It was not a great load nor well distributed but nonetheless the pressuere was not at my hips.

I then looked at a slightly larger Gregory Z30. This pack is borderline large but after walking around, sitting on bikes with a helmet, I decided to take it home.:banana:

I should say at 6 feet tall the 30 is not as large for me as it would be for say someone 5 feet 8 inches or so. It does not look or feel large when it is on.

I was riding my Motorcycle so I wore it home and man it so much better than my cheapo packs. My motorcycle is a BMW F800GS so I sit pretty upright and stand a lot in dirt.

I also think this pack will ultimately work for me without going bigger later. I would rather get my wife a similar pack.

I am pretty excited about this but I have decided to start getting light camping stuff and I am going to exchange my new REI tent for something more compact.