PDA

View Full Version : Shimano CX75 hub experience

keevon
08-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Looking for feedback on Shimano CX75 center lock hubs. They're on sale at a number of stores online, and might be just the thing for my upcoming Elephant NFE build (both 650b and 700c).

Do the freehubs hold up? The failure rate on recent Shimano XT freehubs concerns me. Also, any issues with the aluminum axles? Again, there are reports of the similar XT aluminum axles having issues.

I'm also a little concerned about the 28 hole drilling. I'm 6'-5", 190 pounds, and these will be going on an "all-road" type build. Conventional wisdom would dictate 32 hole 3-cross, but I'm hoping that 28 hole 3-cross will be sufficient. For reference, I've ridden 28 hole 2-cross road wheels for years without issues.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0286/5998/products/357035-1.jpeg?v=1433510796

zank
08-28-2015, 12:02 PM
I've been riding a set laced to Pacenti CL25s on my Road32 since last November. No problems at all. Mostly road miles thus far though. They look identical to my XT hubs on my mtb wheels. I'm happy with them.

gavingould
08-28-2015, 09:24 PM
been riding a set laced to H+Son Archetypes for about 16 months. have required zero maintenance and not been touched with a spoke wrench. some road riding but probably 65-75% gravel/dirt, a few thousand miles.
also cyclocross training on them when in the debris and glass-strewn parks of chicago when i don't want to risk a destroying a tubular.

i'm 6'5 and 225lb on a good day...
in fact i have a second set of the cx75 hubs that will get built soon-ish to some 50mm cheapo carbon rims and be shod with Challenge Parigi-Roubaix.

my 2 race wheelsets are also 28h, but Novatec hubs. both sets of those have held up with no wrenching as well, i don't baby them either. mud, rocks, bunnyhopping, general being big and chubby, etc. i don't worry about them.

rkhatibi
08-29-2015, 12:33 AM
cx75 and Velocity Aileron rims. I'm 225lb with gear when commuting. So far so good over the last three months. Haven't taken the bike out to cross yet, but the wheels have survived SF potholes and construction.

I did go with the cx75 wheels based on the bike shop manager I bought the frame from. He recommended the hubs and the cx77 mechanical brakes. His weight and riding was similar to mine so that's what I went with.

RacerJRP
08-29-2015, 06:50 PM
Have run a set of these for a saeon laced to Stan's iron cross. No issues at all. A little heavy but spin like butter.

skijoring
08-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Malaysia or Japan made? Are they adjusted well outta the box or do they need grease and to back off on the cones a bit?