PDA

View Full Version : OT - found a valuable coin - how to sell it?

d_douglas
08-28-2015, 12:58 AM
Ok, so I've never thought about this for a second in the past.

I was sifting through old stuff from my in-laws move out of their family home a few days ago and found a handful of change. I was actually using it to pay for a latte (!) when I saw that there was a very old looking coin in my hand. It is a 1931 Canadian nickel - kinda cool and I thought it would be worth $1 to a collector.

Turns out I was showing a colleague today and joked that it would be worth a fortune. I googled it and several entries came up stating that this is a rare and desirable coin to collectors. One site said this was sold for $900! The back has King George on it - before the reign of Queen Elizabeth who is still ticking away over 50 years later. Who knew?

Anyways, as I couldn't care less about the coin, what would be the best way to sell this or to find out what value it has? I don't think it's worth $900, but if it was $300, I'd be pretty stoked.

Putting it on eBay seems to devalue it, and going on coin enthusiast websites opens me up to sharks saying that it's worth $20, then they sell it for $500. I suppose an auction house, but then you have to deal with their fees?

Anyways, your thoughts are appreciated. If anyone wants this nickel in exchange for an ENVE /DT 29er wheel set, let's talk ;)

Polyglot
08-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Back when I had a paper route in the 70's and had to collect subscription money every two weeks from my subscribers, I collected all the "old" nickels which had king's heads on them. I ended up with nickels from every year from 1929 onwards. Apart from a few that were special edition ones or uncommon variants, none of them has ever reached $100 in circulated state, so whoever spoke to you about $900 is apparently mistaken.

Check this page out: http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?canadian_coins=5-cents-1922-1936

It would appear that the normally found used coins are worth between CAD 2.00 and CAD 7.50

LouDeeter
08-28-2015, 05:18 AM
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=5-cents-1931&years=5-cents-1922-1936

It's only worth a lot if in very nice uncirculated condition. Even a tiny bit of rub will drop it below that condition. I have collected coins for over 55 years. The best price will be from another collector or through eBay, while the worst price will be from a dealer, who will no doubt tell you it is below uncirculated. If you sell on the net, include high resolution pictures and be prepared to stand by your condition. Better yet, if you really believe it is uncirculated, get one of the grading services to "slab it", meaning they grade it and certify it to their grading standard. Slabbed coins are exchanged in the trade much easier than others when dealing at the higher grades and values.

d_douglas
08-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Yes, I don't expect $900 or anywhere near that value. I would expect it is worth well under $100, but part of me dreams that it pays for my new 29er wheels :)>

Lou: It is not well kept - it has been tossed around in a box for decades, I am sure.

OK, my dreams are dashed. This nickel is worth about $0.10 is my guess...

d_douglas
08-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Check this page out: http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?canadian_coins=5-cents-1922-1936

It would appear that the normally found used coins are worth between CAD 2.00 and CAD 7.50

Based on my assumption of the condition, this is the value of the coin. Two lattes worth?