PDA

View Full Version : Learning to weld

johnniecakes
08-27-2015, 01:35 PM
I have always wanted to learn how to weld. I have no experience melting metal together but am going to be purchasing a unit soon. I am not looking to make frames, this would be for general å–ªound the house garage type of usage. I have a so attachments I want to put on the boat trailer, make some brackets, who knows what else. I am looking for suggestions on what type to get. Stick, MIG, TIG wire feed only etc. My budget is $500, I have 230VAC 30A or 120 VAC 20A available.

mosca
08-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Do you have a community college nearby where you could take some basic welding classes? It would be good to have some grounded knowledge of all the basic technologies if you don't already. And you could use their equipment for your personal projects.:)

okie1kenobi
08-27-2015, 02:02 PM
I would go with a MIG unit using 75/25 gas. With that budget you're probably looking at 120V units. Stick with Miller or Lincoln and it will last you a life time. Mig welding is fairly easy to learn, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

This is the cheapest Miller unit and should work just fine for what you want to do, but I would get the highest output unit you can afford, the more power the more versatile the projects you can do:

http://store.cyberweld.com/mi140migwe90.html

Also check Craigslist for used units.

I've got a Miller 210 that's close to 15 years old, it's been a workhorse and problem free.

sworcester
08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
MIG would be the shortest learning curve. Even if you can't afford the shielding gas, get a unit that can take it as an add on.
The quickest way is to watch some videos, get some pieces of metal and start melting.
The initial learning curve is steep but short, then practice.
Make sure to get a good auto darkening helmet that works for MIG and stick.

malcolm
08-27-2015, 02:24 PM
I agree with Lincoln or miller. I think for around the garage things regular ole stick welding with some 6010 and 7018 rods will accomplish almost anything you could want on carbon steel, alloys are a whole different story. Even with carbon steel as you get thinner things get more difficult especially with stick.

It will take a long time to become competent without instruction. If you know someone that is a welder and have access to plenty of scrap steel they can show you enough to get you started.

Huge grain of salt here as I've not welded, to speak of, in over twenty years