PDA

View Full Version : From Campy 10 to Shimano Ultegra 11

don compton
08-26-2015, 10:11 PM
I purchased a new Riv Roadeo and wanted to have access to low gears with a 50-34 crankset. After 30+ years as a Campy diehard, I finally broke down and bought an Ultegra 11sp groupset from Ribble, $608 delivered. It's flawless. I didn't like the 11-32 and switched to a Chorus 12-29 ( another $100 ).
I had bought the same groupset for my wife a year earlier and was so impressed with how well it functioned.
Bottom line , I am done with nostalgia.
On another note, Campy's warranty service sucks and their lesser groups, i.e. power torque just suck. A bike shop ruined some tools trying to remove a crank from one of my bike.The Shimano outboard bearings and their crankset are so well designed.:beer:

beeatnik
08-26-2015, 10:22 PM
6800 is a masterpiece.

thirdgenbird
08-26-2015, 11:04 PM
I would be interested to try the mix below.

6800:
Brakes
Crankset
Pedals

5800:
Cassette

Athena:
Shifters
Derailleurs

Add fulcrum 5 lg wheels and an 80s-90s steel frame and you could have a very solid bike on the cheap. I might even splurge for a ck bottom bracket and headset.

macaroon
08-27-2015, 03:59 AM
I don't have lots of experience with campag groupsets; but I do much prefer the brifters over Shimano/SRAM. I run chorus brifters, and athena mechs, all 11 speed. Cassette and chainset are both shimano; cheap and easy to install.

Tickdoc
08-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Funny, I just went the other way. Was a suntour fan first, then a shimano fan, then a sram convert, and now I am in love with Capmagnolo.

I feel like each has it's plusses and minuses, but I just love the feel of the shift solidity and the drive rigidity of campy. Thumb tabs work fine for me, and the hoods are comfy to my hands.

It's all good.

weiwentg
08-27-2015, 07:45 AM
I purchased a new Riv Roadeo and wanted to have access to low gears with a 50-34 crankset. After 30+ years as a Campy diehard, I finally broke down and bought an Ultegra 11sp groupset from Ribble, $608 delivered. It's flawless. I didn't like the 11-32 and switched to a Chorus 12-29 ( another $100 ).
I had bought the same groupset for my wife a year earlier and was so impressed with how well it functioned.
Bottom line , I am done with nostalgia.
On another note, Campy's warranty service sucks and their lesser groups, i.e. power torque just suck. A bike shop ruined some tools trying to remove a crank from one of my bike.The Shimano outboard bearings and their crankset are so well designed.:beer:

I am not contemplating switching anytime soon, and I have no idea whether or not PT is worse than UT. My problem with Campy is why not have just one dang crank standard?

redir
08-27-2015, 08:17 AM
I have not used Campy since Nouvo Record and their first 8-Speed group not because I don't like it but because Shimano just seemed to come on everything and it works well enough. I don't care for most things as long as they work under demand as both Shimano and Campy do. I must say though that I like the ergonomics of Campy better with the little thumb button, assuming they still do that 20 years later. I still ride my vintage Campy bikes and love them to death but Shimano is on the modern race bikes just because it's there.

old fat man
08-27-2015, 08:23 AM
I am not contemplating switching anytime soon, and I have no idea whether or not PT is worse than UT. My problem with Campy is why not have just one dang crank standard?

Because PT is much cheaper to produce than UT, so for the lower priced groups, they need to save money on production. It's like asking why the entry level car can't just include the leather seats.

fuzzalow
08-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Campagnolo only. From Nouvo Record onwards. Never say never, but in this case - Never. Never any consideration for anything other than Campagnolo. In some things, a narrow focus is all that is necessary.

But components are but bit players in the bigger play. All done in service of the ride.

Mzilliox
08-27-2015, 08:51 AM
if you need a new home for your campy 10 speeds... bums me out record only comes in 11. i was good with 10 speeds, hell, i was happy with 9:crap:

harryblack
08-27-2015, 01:02 PM
if you need a new home for your campy 10 speeds... bums me out record only comes in 11. i was good with 10 speeds, hell, i was happy with 9:crap:

Please, with respect to the thread starter's issues, esp. an incompetent shop...

Q: how many Shimany 105 / Ultregra users do you know or have you personally turned on to Campy Veloce / Centaur and they've been 'disappointed'?

It's not happening & price / weight / performance these are superb groups. The next person who whines about (modern) "Power Shift" etc is the next person I see dropped... probably by a "girl", who only got into Shimano because there was no apparent choice.

And 105, Ultegra, my old DA 7700 is excellent too, depends what aesthetics you like, women I know LOVE the Campy current Campy shifters for example.

I'd still take Athena over ANY Shimano but I rode & raced Shimano for twenty years, it's enough.

(Etc etc.)

oldpotatoe
08-27-2015, 01:03 PM

PT cheaper to make, UT more high tech and lighter. 'Problem' with PT is initially, lack of a tool to pull off crank arm. Now 3-4. Advantage of PT is that it uses a standard 6805 7mm width bearing instead of the pretty unique, 6805/6mm. I like them both, I have Athena Alu crank, works great, an easy install, quiet, reliable.

don compton
08-27-2015, 10:28 PM
PT cheaper to make, UT more high tech and lighter. 'Problem' with PT is initially, lack of a tool to pull off crank arm. Now 3-4. Advantage of PT is that it uses a standard 6805 7mm width bearing instead of the pretty unique, 6805/6mm. I like them both, I have Athena Alu crank, works great, an easy install, quiet, reliable.
I appreciate your expertise but Shimano's crank-bottom bracket is the best design. No-brainer

palincss
08-28-2015, 06:09 AM

I'm not sure I understand: you switched from Campagnolo to Shimano Ultegra 11, and when you didn't like the cassette you put on a Campagnolo cassette? I know that Ergo 11 perfectly shifts Shimano 9, but I wasn't aware that Shimano 11 STI controls were compatible with any Campagnolo cassette of any speed.

oldpotatoe
08-28-2015, 06:14 AM
I appreciate your expertise but Shimano's crank-bottom bracket is the best design. No-brainer

Define 'best'.

It's the easiest to service, no doubt, but 'best'? I am not an engineer but a hirth fitting is brilliant(IMHO) and with replaceable bearings(shimano BBs, even the big buck 9000 ones, are in the bic lighter category), I think the UT crank design is 'pretty good'.

And for right above..shimano 11s drivetrain shifts Campagnolo 11s cogsets pretty much flawlessly and vice versa(Campag 11s and shimano 11s cogsets).