PDA

View Full Version : New Chainrings (Crank) / BB30 Questions

jwess1234
08-26-2015, 09:54 PM
So it might be time to replace the stock FSA chainrings that came on my SuperSix. As far as I see it, my options are, with some thoughts:

1 - keep Gossamer crank and install new Praxis rings (cheapest);

2 - get a whole new BB30 crankset with rings, Hollowgram or Rotor with spacers (native compatibility with frame seems to create fewer things to break);

3 - go 6800 crankset with a Praxis BB30 adapter (would be nice to complete the 6800 group, likely cheaper than option 2, and ability to run compact or standard--I don't like the idea of the big jump on 52/36).

Other than the above, I will need to replicate the same Q factor. My fitter moved my cleats to the outside of the shoe, so the pedals shouldn't go wider than they are.

Interested in hearing any thoughts, words of wisdom, consensus, experiences, etc. Thanks in advance!

bcroslin
08-26-2015, 11:09 PM
I run 6800 with the praxis on my evo and it's been smooth sailing.

kramnnim
08-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Hollowgram with Praxis rings, 52/36 is great. You might lose half a pound off the bike.

Wonder if the Q factor on the Rotor/Shimano would be wider than the Gossamers...

R3awak3n
08-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Hollowgram with Praxis rings, 52/36 is great. You might lose half a pound off the bike.

Wonder if the Q factor on the Rotor/Shimano would be wider than the Gossamers...

this. The hollowgram crankset is top notch and praxis rings are excellent too. Its exactly what I am running. Also if you have BB30 BB you might as well go with a BB30 crankset and the hollowgram is one of the best BB30 cranksets out there.

Not to mention you can find the older SLs for great deals.

rustychisel
08-27-2015, 12:56 AM
Yeah, if the price is right go Hollowgram.

As I recall, Gossamer is anything but gossamer.

jwess1234
08-27-2015, 06:59 AM
While searching for information on Q factors, I came across the recall notice for my crank--just an FYI to others: http://www.fullspeedahead.com/support/recall/gossamer-bb30-recall-notice/. I sent FSA an email and hope to hear back soon. I might also call the shop I bought the bike to see if they can do anything about it.

In any event, the Gossamer appears to have a Q factor of 148 and the Hollowgram SISL is 144 and the SISL2 is 147.

I'm also considering the Praxis Zayante M30 crank (152 Q factor). Killer deal at 300 with rings I will need to buy anyway. Any experiences with this crank?

R3awak3n
08-27-2015, 07:22 AM
They zayante is an awesome crankset. Really good looking, very stiff and comes with the awesome praxis rings. It really is a bargain but its heavy. If you dont care about such thing it would be a great crankset.

However i still prefer the hollowgram :) might cost a little more and be used though.

carpediemracing
08-28-2015, 12:03 AM
If I had to do it again I'd get some regular BB/crank and use an adapter in the BB30 frame.

As it is I have BB30 Hollowgram SRMs. They're stupid light, like under 600g with BB and rings. I use Praxis rings now, 53x39 130 BCD.

BB30 requires a bit of extra work. I prefer simple things and a Praxis adapter would be more simple. I can't do it as it'd be prohibitively expensive to get other SRM cranks.

Davist
08-28-2015, 02:49 AM
I went with option 2, shimano cranks and adapter (though I went with the wheels mfg slide in). Works great, didn't know how bad the FSA front shifting was until I changed. Hollowgram seems a bit needlessly complicated and expensive to my "shade tree mechanic" sensibilities.

Cicli
08-28-2015, 04:05 AM
Good deal. I have some Praxis rings on the way. Hope they are nice. Its really hard to beat Shimano shifting. You made a good choice.

R3awak3n
08-28-2015, 06:42 AM
That's a good choice. Before I had the hollowgrams I had a campagnolo centaur crankset on a wheels manufacturing adaptor. That is a fantastic adaptor btw. Never had a creak or a single problem. Like I had with the campagnolo one.