PDA

View Full Version : Instructional to gut shimano electronic shifter?

seanile
08-26-2015, 04:48 PM
I got in on that Shimano 6770 electronic closeout that JensonUSA was having and bought a super cheap pair of shifters that i'm going to use for my single speed as brake levers.
Are there any instructionals on how to properly gut these things so i could maybe offload the electronic bits given their newness/usefulness?

adampaiva
08-26-2015, 09:19 PM
I got a pair in that deal too and got them in the mail today. I also havethe intention of using them as just brake levers so I started disassembling immediately.
-You'll need torx wrenches, not allen keys. The two paddles appear to be held on with three torx screws in two different sizes, both of which are tiny and smaller than I had. The one that's on the underside is at a sorta awkward placement so you'd probably want an L-shaped torx in that size. Since I didn't have the torx I couldn't take off the paddles.

-The paddles appear to then be wired with a single wire to the plug receptor thingy which is on the side of the hood body. That can pop out easily. You need to peel off the hood cover to get to the plug receptor thing.

-What I can't tell yet is if you disconnect the paddles from the plug receptor thing. The cable runs through the pivot point for the brake lever so you'd need to disconnect or cut the cable in order remove the bits. So I'm not sure yet if you are able to gut the shifting bits out without doing so destructively.

I'll probably get some torx keys and try again this weekend. Let us know what you figure out. If I can't take it apart with the ability to put it back together, I think I'll still use them but will just leave the shifting bits on there un-used.

seanile
08-26-2015, 11:41 PM
i dont have the right torx either.
seems if you undo the two torx first, then undo the screw that attaches the top of the di2 part to the back of the lever, then you should be able to slide the mechanism up and off of the slide bar it's slotted onto at the bottom. i have no idea how to go about disconnecting the cable.
i think i might just leave it. will get some funny looks when people see these on a sscx bike haha. ill feel obligated to tell em how much they cost so i dont get such a harsh stink-eye.

Louis
08-27-2015, 01:20 AM
It's nuts that you guys were able to buy these as such a low price that it would make sense to buy them to use just as brake levers and remove the electronics to sell or use elsewhere. Something there doesn't make sense.

thirdgenbird
08-27-2015, 06:49 AM
It's nuts that you guys were able to buy these as such a low price that it would make sense to buy them to use just as brake levers and remove the electronics to sell or use elsewhere. Something there doesn't make sense.

As of last night, they were still in stock at those prices. I'm guessing they have/had way too many left on the shelf.

adampaiva
09-14-2015, 09:55 AM
update, finally got around to gutting the brifters last night. Ended up then putting them back together and will still use them as brakes only but not going to bother with removing the shifter components. Without either removing the actual lever or snipping the wire of the shifter electronics it's not possible to gut it - and if you remove the paddles you are left with an empty little plastic mounting plate on the back side of the lever so it looks better with the paddles in place anyway.

seanile
09-14-2015, 10:00 AM
i had an inkling thatd be the case. thanks for the follow-up