PDA

View Full Version : UNUSUAL sources of clicks and creaks

drewellison
08-26-2015, 04:12 PM
We all know the usual suspects: bottom brackets, pedals, hubs, spoke crossings, seatposts, headsets, etc. We don't need to list those.

What are some unusual sources of clicks and creaks? I'll get us started.

1. FD cable sticking out to strike the crank arm.

2. Zipper pull tab on saddle bag swinging back and forth to clack on light.

gasman
08-26-2015, 04:41 PM
I had a front DA quick release that was an intermittent creak source only after lots of elimination of the usual suspects. Headset, bars, seat post, seat rails, bottom bracket, yada ,yada.A small spray on the fork dropouts with WD-40 and a wipe with a rag did the trick.
And no I'm not an idiot.

lhuerta
08-26-2015, 05:01 PM
不eat post clamp
stem clamp

Keith A
08-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Valve stem on tube rubbing against the rim. Took me forever to find this problem and it was fixed with a layer of electrical tape around the stem.

I'm not sure this fits really fits your unusual category, but I had click on every rotation of the cranks and so I knew it had to be related to crankset, bottom bracket, or pedal. I couldn't figure this out and took it to my expert mechanic. He tried several things to solve the problem including taking out the bottom bracket. It turns out that the noise was coming from the pedal and crank-arm interface, and it took just little lube to quite it down :crap:

bikinchris
08-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Two Brooks saddles in a row have developed a squeak in the front under the nose.
Seatpost squeaking in the frame. Grease got it out.

djg21
08-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Front derailleur clamp on Ti frame. It clicked every pedal stroke, making it sound like a BB problem. Took off clamp; cleaned frame and clamp interface; and reinstalled. Noise was gone.

preludervtec
08-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Squeaking from saddle clamp

dpk501
08-26-2015, 11:20 PM
The titanium screws in my spine. so not kidding.

Geeheeb
08-26-2015, 11:53 PM
Not quite a gnarly, but Tendon in ankle

Team Murray
08-27-2015, 01:37 AM
I had a BMC SLC01 that had a seat post related sound. It was not the seat clamp or binder. The seat post was long and when the frame flexed it rubbed against the end of the post. The solution was to shorten the seat post. The mechanic had to follow me on a ride to identify this problem.

Louis
08-27-2015, 01:44 AM
The titanium screws in my spine. so not kidding.

That's what you get for choosing the fancy-schmancy material. Plain old steel would have been good enough. ;)

Fivethumbs
08-27-2015, 03:15 AM
1. Jersey zipper hitting helmet chin strap caused an intermittent clicking that sounded like it was coming from the bike.

2. Magnet on front wheel hitting sensor.

Tony
08-27-2015, 07:36 AM
This site helps find those unusual sources of clicks creaks and other sounds.
http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

gary_a_gooner
08-27-2015, 08:33 AM
My rear skewer seems to like to click. I have to take it off every 3 months or so and give it a clean and grease the contact points.

The saddle/seatpost clamp likes to creak too!

I'm just glad I know what is actually making the noise. Took me 3 weeks to find out it was my skewer first time around. Drove me nuts.

This is worth checking out:
http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

Hindmost
08-27-2015, 01:16 PM
1. Jersey zipper hitting helmet chin strap caused an intermittent clicking that sounded like it was coming from the bike.

Yes! Was that weird? Only happened at certain times during the ride. It was in time with my pedal stroke. Took me a couple of rides to figure it out.

sworcester
08-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Rattle from Road ID bracelet clasp.

also have one set of 6800 DI2 shifters that have a rattle in them (out of 3 bikes).

OperaLover
08-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Clicking/rattle under hard cranking. Only in the summer at beginnig of ride in the first hour or so.

ICE CUBES in water bottle! (I kid you not! thought I was losing my mind . . .)

Lovetoclimb
08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Front derailleur clamp on Ti frame. It clicked every pedal stroke, making it sound like a BB problem. Took off clamp; cleaned frame and clamp interface; and reinstalled. Noise was gone.

I strongly suspect I am having the same problem with the Parlee carbon FD clamp on a steel frame. I have done a piece by piece process of elimination by exchanging every single part on the bike with the exception of that clamp without success. the creak/clicking noise is especially prominent while seated but not dependent on wattage or power input ....

rab
08-28-2015, 12:57 AM
I just solved a creaking issue that had me about defeated.
Narrowed it down to the crank/BB area (of course, right?) but then couldn't seem to solve it. removed/cleaned/greased everything I could.
Finally discovered it was the interface between the spider and spindle on the Rotor crank. this interface had become a bit rusted. I don't have the spider tool, never removed it, finally realized while crawling around on the floor looking for cracks in the frame, cursing everything I could think of, noticed a tiny fleck of rust at one point on the outside of this interface. Huh. sprayed it with some wd-40 and let it saturate. did it again the next day. creak gone. Gave it another shot of a lubricant mix this time for good measure and good riddance.

Weird thing is, it always took 30-45 minutes of riding before it started. Not sure if this is because I would start slower, less, power on it, or maybe it had to do with heating up going from inside/AC to outside/Arizona in the summer.