PDA

View Full Version : Maximum spacers above the stem?

Keith A
05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
I wanted to find out if there is a maximum amount of spacers that can be above the stem. I currently have a 2cm spacer above the stem on my O2 fork (made by Reynolds with a carbon steerer tube) and wanted to make sure this wasn't too much. Reynolds gives the parameters for the number of spacers below the stem, but not above it. I also wanted find out if the compressor plug needs to be at or below the top edge of the stem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

pale scotsman
05-10-2006, 06:02 PM
My LBS guy and the reynolds assembly instructions says the top cap should be flush with the stem. His reasoning is that the compression plug should be lined up with the stem clamping area on the fork for strength. See how it fits in there with such tight tolerance effectively making the steerer tube solid at the point where the stem clamps. I guess you'd be OK with a cm or 2.

Dave
05-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Personally, I'd never use more than 2cm from a looks standpoint, but 3-4cm is permissable. LOOK frames for example, come with a 1cm extended top section on the headset and 3cm of spacer.

Better to use more stem rise if possible.

catulle
05-10-2006, 06:40 PM
There is a ratio of spacers (or length) as a function of the width of the steerer tube, but I canīt remember the factor. For instance, for a 1" steerer, you shouldn't have more than 2" of spacers, or something like that, iirc. Maybe some charitable soul can fill the missing link, atmo.

swalburn
05-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Right now on my fierte I have 2 cm of spacers. The LBS told me that is what is recommended by manufacturer. I want to get my bars lower. Will I hurt anything by placing my stem on the headset with no spacers. I can't imagine that it would but I'm curious. I have been riding a lot, and am getting more fit and desire to get the bars lower. I am almost exclusively ride in the drops. I am already using a -10 degree stem. I appreciate any comments available.

Serpico
05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
saw this awhile back on another forum, definitely pushin' it for under the stem

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=185895

manet
05-10-2006, 08:12 PM

central park is rife wid mp krap like that _ i hope that new
westside bicyclesformillionairesshop puts the kiebosh on
that virus.

Lifelover
05-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I wanted to find out if there is a maximum amount of spacers that can be above the stem. I currently have a 2cm spacer above the stem on my O2 fork (made by Reynolds with a carbon steerer tube) and wanted to make sure this wasn't too much. Reynolds gives the parameters for the number of spacers below the stem, but not above it. I also wanted find out if the compressor plug needs to be at or below the top edge of the stem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

From a structural/engineering stand point I don't think there would be any limit to the amount of spacers you could have ABOVE the stem. The loading is done at the stem.

manet
05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
From a structural/engineering stand point I don't think there would be any limit to the amount of spacers you could have ABOVE the stem. The loading is done at the stem.

the bolt may have something to say about that

catulle
05-10-2006, 09:01 PM

He could be sailing like George soon, atmo. MP steerer breakage, iirc.

christian
05-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Praise the lord, it's a Cro-Mo steel steerer. That makes me feel better.

As to the OP, for spacers above the stem, at least 2mm, no more than 40mm. The former to avoid clamping the stem around the end of the steerer, and the latter for aesthetic reasons!

- Christian

Keith A
05-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and input.

My LBS guy and the reynolds assembly instructions says the top cap should be flush with the stem. His reasoning is that the compression plug should be lined up with the stem clamping area on the fork for strength. See how it fits in there with such tight tolerance effectively making the steerer tube solid at the point where the stem clamps. I guess you'd be OK with a cm or 2.I have been looking at the Reynolds assembly instructions and they do indeed show the top cap sitting right on top of the stem, but I don't recall any statements about NOT having any spacers on top. It also makes sense to me to have the compression plug in the steerer tube where the stem is clamped. This would provide a much more solid clamping point. The top cap bolt is certainly long enough to allow some amount of spacers on the top, but not a lot if you want the compression plug in the correct location.

Aesthetically, I don't like spacers on top of the stem, but I want to be sure everything fits well before trimming the extra off and wanted to make sure that I wasn't in danger of damaging the steerer tube with the spacers on top.