PDA

View Full Version : Tommy D is sh$#ing all over Boulder County on Strava

cloudguy
08-25-2015, 11:18 PM
So I was shooting for a PR on Magnolia today - prolly the hardest climb around these parts (4.5 miles at 9%). I came up well short, 'cause I'm old and well past my prime. Sigh. Went to check my time on Strava and low and behold, Tommy D got a PR on that same climb today and is now KOM on the Strava leaderboard. Looking at his ride for today he also got KOMs on both SuperFlag and Sugerloaf! All in the same frigging day! Total ride was like 15K ft in 6 hours and change. Something about this rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps Strava should have separate KOMs for dopers and for everyone else.

:mad:

Louis
08-25-2015, 11:22 PM
Something about this rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps Strava should have separate KOMs for dopers and for everyone else.

Or, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I'm sure Tommy can hook you up with some good "supplements." That way you can also be competitive with your younger self.

cloudguy
08-25-2015, 11:34 PM
That way you can also be competitive with your younger self.

Yeah, time for a visit to the good old doctor for some T therapy.

By the way, his time was 25:13 (with an average power of 355W), blowing away second place (Sepp Kuss) by 1:20. Poor old Sepp.

rab
08-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Or pull a Stravaterrorist and take a moto out to pinch TDs KOMs...not saying two wrongs make a right but it would be fun to send him some emails, if he gets them/reads them. Thinking he might since he has a bit more free time right now? Or maybe he is working on his defense for CAS after the B sample shows positive.

CunegoFan
08-26-2015, 12:02 AM
Strava is serious bizness.

I cry for all those with dashed hopes of being Strava professionals.

"I coulda been a contendah, making millions, admired by society, bedding a different woman every night, a man of respect...if only Tommy D. wouldn't have sniped that KOM. Damn him! He ruined my life."

cloudguy
08-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Yeah, obviously it means nothing, so then why make the ride public for everyone to see? Not really proving anything, other than that he really is a total tool.

jimoots
08-26-2015, 12:28 AM
Or pull a Stravaterrorist and take a moto out to pinch TDs KOMs...not saying two wrongs make a right but it would be fun to send him some emails, if he gets them/reads them. Thinking he might since he has a bit more free time right now? Or maybe he is working on his defense for CAS after the B sample shows positive.

If you wanted to get really vindictive you'd create a profile with a name that takes some sort of a jab at Tommy, and then snipe the KOMs. Its a funny thought but I would never care enough to be bothered doing it.

benito
08-26-2015, 12:55 AM
http://gotomarketguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hy4gugp3ho0q1uirzx9945rr9ofx1taj.png

oldpotatoe
08-26-2015, 05:21 AM
So I was shooting for a PR on Magnolia today - prolly the hardest climb around these parts (4.5 miles at 9%). I came up well short, 'cause I'm old and well past my prime. Sigh. Went to check my time on Strava and low and behold, Tommy D got a PR on that same climb today and is now KOM on the Strava leaderboard. Looking at his ride for today he also got KOMs on both SuperFlag and Sugerloaf! All in the same frigging day! Total ride was like 15K ft in 6 hours and change. Something about this rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps Strava should have separate KOMs for dopers and for everyone else.

Surprised that while being under the microscope, for doping, he wants to identify himself as a 'strava' leader..wonder if he's wearing his garmin kit.

old fat man
08-26-2015, 06:10 AM
Surprised that while being under the microscope, for doping, he wants to identify himself as a 'strava' leader..wonder if he's wearing his garmin kit.

He is an idiot. When you realize that, do his actions still really surprise you that much?

I hope it blows back hard on Vaughters and other DS realize that riders like TD never deserved a second (third?) chance. Get them, and those that support/employ them out of the peloton.

peanutgallery
08-26-2015, 06:14 AM
He didn't want all that high dollar pharma going to total waste

Makes you wonder, why would a dude facing at least a couple years suspension at age 37 even bothers? With his tangled web of kids, wives and girlfriends I would be polishing the resume and looking for a job. Maybe its denial or like the 90s guys that had to ride rollers in the night in order not to croak before dawn. I just find it a little odd

If this is what motivates him in the alternate universe that is his worldview, I like Old Potato's idea. Fake smart ass name and atick the garmin in the car. It would lead to a Boulder nightmare:) Philandering Pro or something like that

jr59
08-26-2015, 06:22 AM
who cares?

I mean really, it's Strava.

As been said many times before, Strava is not racing.

velomonkey
08-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Or pull a Stravaterrorist and take a moto out to pinch TDs KOMs...not saying two wrongs make a right but it would be fun to send him some emails, if he gets them/reads them.

This is the only acceptable consequence. It must be done one per day - jut to slowly twist it - and it is time must be beaten only by a second or 2.

rockdude
08-26-2015, 06:50 AM
who cares?

1+

If you want to really race get your USACycling license and come join the fun.

mg2ride
08-26-2015, 07:27 AM
... Not really proving anything, other than that he really is a total tool.

You or him!?

Are you really upset because someone that beat your Strava time might be doping!?

Wow!

ptourkin
08-26-2015, 07:29 AM
If you create your own segment on a a climb that he rides, you can name it anything you want and he'll see it. Dopers Suck, for instance. You can also keep changing it to deliver different messages.

earlfoss
08-26-2015, 07:30 AM
I might be wrong but I lately I think people are flagging his rides on Strava.

MattTuck
08-26-2015, 07:32 AM
Good for him. Better that he get some glory now before a talented climber from Colombia or Spain moves to Boulder and snatches those KOMs.

soulspinner
08-26-2015, 08:31 AM
I dont like pros counting (separate catergory?). Glad my time around Watkins Glen in the same 458 wont be held up against Alonsos...

berserk87
08-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Ever the luddite, I have to add that switching to a wired cyclocomputer makes all of this go away.

Yes, I am taking liberties with the term "luddite" here.

Anarchist
08-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Ever the luddite, I have to add that switching to a wired cyclocomputer makes all of this go away.

Yes, I am taking liberties with the term "luddite" here.

Not using Strava makes the problem go away.

shovelhd
08-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Why so serious?

laupsi
08-26-2015, 09:14 AM
what's this thing, Strava?

charliedid
08-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Winning!

Joachim
08-26-2015, 09:27 AM
what's this thing, Strava?

"road racing" for triathletes.

SeanScott
08-26-2015, 09:30 AM
My uncle lives off Sugar Loaf, really neat road.

There is a lot of BS on Strava. Some times that are really unbelievable.
People do all kinds of tricks to KOM.

William
08-26-2015, 09:37 AM
My uncle lives off Sugar Loaf, really neat road.

There is a lot of BS on Strava. Some times that are really unbelievable.
People do all kinds of tricks to KOM.

I crushed all the local Strava KOM this morning!! Now I'm going to kick back and enjoy my win!!:beer:

William

jmoore
08-26-2015, 09:41 AM
I crushed all the local Strava KOM this morning!! Now I'm going to kick back and enjoy my win!!:beer:

William

That giant saddle bag is what pushed you over the top!

cloudguy
08-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Are you really upset because someone that beat your Strava time might be doping!?

No.

hida yanra
08-26-2015, 10:31 AM

he is.

Bostic
08-26-2015, 10:45 AM
I've had one ride on Strava flagged. "Tandem Beats Everything" was the title and it must have hit someones sore spot. My wife has figured out that "drops!" or "engine room!" means it's going to be a spirited pace for a bit.

tiretrax
08-26-2015, 10:45 AM
That giant saddle bag is what pushed you over the top!

I shrouds a small jet engine

Spdntrxi
08-26-2015, 11:17 AM
I've had one ride on Strava flagged. "Tandem Beats Everything" was the title and it must have hit someones sore spot. My wife has figured out that "drops!" or "engine room!" means it's going to be a spirited pace for a bit.

I took a KOM from a tandem.. It's hard work. Sure if I did the same segment on my TT bike I could shave more time.

William
08-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Now I have some whiner flagging me saying I couldnt possibly have climbed at a 45MPH average.:bike: I had my bike with me the whole time...sheeeez! :roll eyes:

William

makoti
08-26-2015, 12:21 PM
I took a KOM from a tandem.. It's hard work. Sure if I did the same segment on my TT bike I could shave more time.

Just use an e-bike. Lots easier.

William
08-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Someone topped my time already!!:crap:

:rolleyes::)
William

velomonkey
08-26-2015, 12:42 PM
That time on Strava I just missed the KOM but the KOM was exactly double my speed and it didn't get flagged.

Bostic
08-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Just use an e-bike. Lots easier.

This is going to sound petty, and it is.. but we dropped an e-bike on the tandem. I usually have a take a look mirror on my sunglasses when riding the tandem and one ride I spotted an e-bike commuter approaching. All the tell tale signs. Up to 20mph in just a few seconds with a cadence of 40 from a stop light, whizzes by us. Mountain bike with a hub motor, full panniers, the works. He threw down the gauntlet so I'm like ok time for a hella workout to catch him.

Stelling and Prospect roads in Silicon Valley are used daily for commuters and if you miss a light it's a lot of work to get going to be in sync with the rest of the lights. After missing a couple lights we get a brief tailwind on Prospect. Max efforts on a tandem are exponentially harder than a single. It's like doing squats and how beat up you feel after a few sets. We catch up and draft at 26mph and it turns out that's the fastest that bike will go. He has a mirror too so I know he can see us. After a few more seconds it's "engine room!" time and we cruise on by. I see his cadence increase but alas that bike can't get going any more than it already is. My wife just says "why.." afterwards. It was a good interval session, if unplanned.

gdw
08-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Rumor has it that Lance was spotted riding up Baseline towards Flagstaff 15 minutes ago. Witnesses heard him yelling "Strava" as he ran the red light at the Broadway Baseline intersection.

FlashUNC
08-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Fast Freddie owns his share of KOMs here in the East Bay.

Make of that what you will.

wildboar
08-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Tommy D's #1 marginal gain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvB2RW9i7w0

earlfoss
08-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Until his B sample is analyzed and the result is known, he's in kind of a limbo state. I mean, there's no reason why he wouldn't wear his Garmin kit or ride his team bike or whatever. His guilt has not been proven and he hasn't been "convicted" with the case closed. I noticed on Strava he's training full on which to me means that it's either his outlet for stress or he knows something we don't (B sample will set him free). Or... most likely in my mind he's completely deluded himself into believing that it's all going to turn out fine when it in fact is definitely not.

I love that pic of the NASCAR with the bike rack.

harlond
08-26-2015, 03:59 PM
This is going to sound petty, and it is.. but we dropped an e-bike on the tandem. I usually have a take a look mirror on my sunglasses when riding the tandem and one ride I spotted an e-bike commuter approaching. All the tell tale signs. Up to 20mph in just a few seconds with a cadence of 40 from a stop light, whizzes by us. Mountain bike with a hub motor, full panniers, the works. He threw down the gauntlet so I'm like ok time for a hella workout to catch him.

Stelling and Prospect roads in Silicon Valley are used daily for commuters and if you miss a light it's a lot of work to get going to be in sync with the rest of the lights. After missing a couple lights we get a brief tailwind on Prospect. Max efforts on a tandem are exponentially harder than a single. It's like doing squats and how beat up you feel after a few sets. We catch up and draft at 26mph and it turns out that's the fastest that bike will go. He has a mirror too so I know he can see us. After a few more seconds it's "engine room!" time and we cruise on by. I see his cadence increase but alas that bike can't get going any more than it already is. My wife just says "why.." afterwards. It was a good interval session, if unplanned.I have my doubts about your wife.

Bob Ross
08-26-2015, 04:10 PM
who cares?

[x] Like

makoti
08-26-2015, 04:22 PM
who cares?

It's all in fun, something for those who (like me) don't race to gauge themselves against. I have no idea who most of the people are in front of me on a given segment, but I assume they are playing by the same rules I am. When it becomes clear that someone isn't (known doper or on an e-bike), it spoils the game. And that's all it is - a game.
No, Strava isn't racing. It's just another way to motivate yourself. Some take it way, way too seriously, doing really stupid stuff to better their standings, but for the most part it's harmless.

Waldo
08-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Snip: Are you really upset because someone that beat your Strava time might be doping!?

What's worse doping to win Gran Fondos or to set KoMs on Strava segments?

Discuss

unterhausen
08-26-2015, 05:18 PM
People going after a KOM on strava can actually have a negative impact on my life. Grand Fondos don't exist as far as I'm concerned

harryblack
08-26-2015, 05:30 PM
(Funny) Strava jokes aside, "Tommy D" is doing more than his "haters" ever could to prove, again, what a turd he is as person and "sportsman."

And really, as an abashed bike racing fan, I'd either like to know what "Tommy" had on Vaughters or how dumb is Vaughters, really?

Granted, he's nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is but why he ever got his program involved with this clown is a mystery. Phony Grant Tour contention? An inane stage win in America's most underachieving stage race, i.e. Colorado?

Hllarious x jillion if "Tommy" is really wearing his Garmin kit in this-- I can't tell if that's a joke or not!

Charles M
08-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Pointing out a d!ck in a weenie measuring contest seems odd... It's Strava...

gianni
08-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Pointing out a d!ck in a weenie measuring contest seems odd... It's Strava...

So well said....PERFECT!:banana:

velomonkey
08-26-2015, 09:16 PM
it's what Strava is all about...

^^^^ This, plus Tommy D has always, always been an insecure little pah-rik.

Strava is all about you hate it cause you aint it - and everyone that says "it gives me motivation when I ride solo" - bro, you are an amateur, you're an amateur most likely because you lack the physical requirements, inner drive and motivation that are a prerequisite for someone to be a pro.

It's like the people who say "well if I had free time and it was my job to ride my bike I could . . . " the smart people know - no, no you couldn't.

Now with that said: someone needs to get hitch a ride and blow Tommy's KOM out.

gianni
08-26-2015, 09:26 PM

Strava is all about you hate it cause you aint it - and everyone that says "it gives me motivation when I ride solo" - bro, you are an amateur, you're an amateur most likely because you lack the physical requirements, inner drive and motivation that are a prerequisite for someone to be a pro.

It's like the people who say "well if I had free time and it was my job to ride my bike I could . . . " the smart people know - no, no you couldn't.

Now with that said: someone needs to get hitch a ride and blow Tommy's KOM out.

Exactly. Like a bike racer beginning the race recap with "I would have won but,..." Ecco la banana.:banana:

cloudguy
08-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Snip:

What's worse doping to win Gran Fondos or to set KoMs on Strava segments?

Discuss

For me, Strava is a useful application for tracking fitness and PRs on all the major climbs around here, as well as for tracking my weekly/seasonal mileage and total elevation gain. Sure I could write all this info down on paper and make charts and graphs, but Strava does all that for me at no cost. And let me be clear, that is all I really care about.

The leaderboard feature is more of a curiosity, in that it gives me a sense of where I stack up relative to the rest of the general population, in terms of all the major climbs. Generally, I'm slightly above the median, which is about what I'd expect based on the fast-paced group rides I've been on. I also like the leaderboard feature for letting me marvel at how much better others can climb than me, even though they're not even pros (for the most part).

Which brings us to Tummy D. To be honest, if he hadn't got popped, I would have just looked at his climbs and times and thought, wow, he just got KOMs on everything and he did some of them after 10000+ ft of climbing. That is amazing. But now its fairly clear that he's been getting some medical assistance, and so it seems to be not real or appropriate anymore. Why would someone who just got popped for doping go out and do an "epic" climb and then say, "Hey, everyone, look what I just did!". Not to mention, more than 90% of the times on that board are prolly from average Joes, including myself. He can ride his bike all he wants, but he has lost his right to publicly boast about it. The fact that he still does, makes him a complete tool and idiot.

cloudguy
08-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Its fine if everyone comes to the contest with what God gave them. Who hasn't checked out that information online? Its another thing entirely, however, when someone comes to the contest with an extra two inches sewn on, and every one knows that he did it.

FlashUNC
08-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Strava is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. What someone uses it for says more about the user than Strava.

For me, Strava is worth its weight in gold. Not for the KOMing, but finding new routes and personal motivation. It's nice affirmation when you think you've had a crappy ride and go check your segment history of, say, Tunnel Rd, and see you've shaved 9 minutes off your slowest ascent time over the last year.

Louis
08-26-2015, 10:13 PM
IMO if I were a Strava user, worrying about pros posting times on the same segments I rode would be like being a boater and taking issue with Russion zillionair Roman Abramovich's yachts (yes, he has several, and a bunch of residences, and..... the list goes on.)

They're in a different universe, don't even bother with that stuff.

http://www.superyachtfan.com/yacht_Eclipse-Roman_Abramovich.jpg

don compton
08-26-2015, 10:16 PM
The guy can't make a living without drugs and he's desperate

cloudguy
08-26-2015, 10:30 PM
If I were a Russian Zillionaire, I wouldn't boast about the size of my boat to all the peasants riding around in their little dinghies, especially if it was only a month after I had been caught for tax evasion.

Louis
08-26-2015, 10:34 PM
If I were a Russian Zillionaire, I wouldn't boast about the size of my boat to all the peasants riding around in their little dinghies, especially if it was only a month after I had been caught for tax evasion.

True, but one doesn't have to boast about the size of your boat - just cruising by is enough to make the statement.

mg2ride
08-26-2015, 10:34 PM
F... he has lost his right to publicly boast about it. .....

So says you?

cloudguy
08-26-2015, 10:42 PM
Yes, me and all other honorable gentlemen (and women). My apologies, if you're a member of the Tommy D Fan Club.

CunegoFan
08-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Its fine if everyone comes to the contest with what God gave them. Who hasn't checked out that information online? Its another thing entirely, however, when someone comes to the contest with an extra two inches sewn on, and every one knows that he did it.

I am sorry to clue you in on this but there is a metric buttload of middle-aged guys taking the same thing TD was caught using. Low-T is advertised on TV, and the DHEA sold over the counter at Walmart will trip a doping test just as well. Strava is chock full of riders who would fail the doping tests given to professionals. So unless you intend to urge Strava to subject its users to random testing then you should probably get a grip on your hate for "dopers" using Strava and treat KOM times as an amusement.

cloudguy
08-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Funny, but it doesn't seem like your really sorry about "clueing" me in.. Also, there is no "hate" in what I wrote, so my grip on my emotions is fine. What I meant to convey is more like: Really, Tommy D just got popped and now he's posting KOMs on Strava, Really!!? However, thanks for opening my eyes to the dirty underbelly of Strava and apparently, most middle-aged men, in general.

soulspinner
08-27-2015, 09:29 AM
···. Why do so many threads get chippy?

Lewis Moon
08-27-2015, 09:31 AM
ï½·ï½·ï½·. Why do so many threads get chippy?

Because....THE INTERWEBS!!!!11

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130729015900/uncyclopedia/images/d/d7/William-shatner-khan-scream-quote-star-trek-wrath-of-khan-500x375.jpg

T.J.
08-27-2015, 01:05 PM

It's like the people who say "well if I had free time and it was my job to ride my bike I could . . . " the smart people know - no, no you couldn't..

Pet peeve of mine right there. Not even talking pro. Cat 5 guy " I could be racing P/1/2's with you if I trained but I don't want to....."

earlfoss
08-27-2015, 01:11 PM
I agree with the sentiment that how you use Strava says more about you than Strava. It may not occur to someone that someone else can be positively motivated by something entirely different than what motivates themselves. I use Strava and it's a fun tool to play with. If Strava is the reason someone suits up and rides, that's great as far as I'm concerned. I'm a bike racer and can accept that some people may not be into racing at all but train and focus on things like Strava segments. It's a wide world out there.

Also Strava or not, Tommy D is a doooosssshhhhbag.

mhespenheide
08-27-2015, 01:15 PM
What if, however unlikely, he's actually innocent?

makoti
08-27-2015, 01:51 PM
What if, however unlikely, he's actually innocent?

That's...just...not...possible.

berserk87
08-27-2015, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=earlfoss;1814338]If Strava is the reason someone suits up and rides, that's great as far as I'm concerned. QUOTE]

That's a good point and one I overlook. So long as folks are riding and/or exercising, it turns out well in the end.

Miller76
08-27-2015, 09:41 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/27/43edc4a0725ab18c45d03b80b9077a6d.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/27/af569435715ca9c2d458ebe3358f0c69.jpg

sw3759
08-27-2015, 09:52 PM
that hilarious! the best t shirt I've seen in a while.do those really exist ?

rab
08-28-2015, 12:48 AM
Top Inflammatory Topics:

1) Politics
2) Religion
3) Strava

so it seems to me

mhespenheide
08-28-2015, 01:14 AM
Top Inflammatory Topics:

1) Politics
2) Religion
3. Rapha

3) Strava

so it seems to me

...on second thought, is Rapha religion?

KonaSS
08-28-2015, 05:40 AM
Back to the original issue, I find this really funny/sad.

My guess, Tommy D knows he is finished and will never ride on a pro team again. Also probably has really good fitness having trained (and ALLEGEDLY doped) for these North American races.

What to do when you have potentially the best fitness you will have for the rest of your life and no pro races to compete? - STRAVA KOMs.

Probably seeing the only way left to leave any kind of pathetic legacy, mark, etc. :help:

Big Dan
08-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Cyclist are competitive.

:cool:

mg2ride
08-28-2015, 05:52 AM
Probably seeing the only way left to leave any kind of pathetic legacy, mark, etc. :help:

or he thinks that Strava is a useful application for tracking fitness and PRs on all the major climbs around there, as well as for tracking his weekly/seasonal mileage and total elevation gain. Sure he could write all this info down on paper and make charts and graphs, but Strava does all that for him at no cost. And maybe, that is all he really cares about.

bicycletricycle
08-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Probably better to just not worry about.

velomonkey
08-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Sure he could write all this info down on paper and make charts and graphs, but Strava does all that for him at no cost. And maybe, that is all he really cares about.

The choices are not STRAVA or napkin. I assure you, pros are 'on' STRAVA none of them are 'using' STRAVA as their primary training software.

Tommy has always been compensating for has lack of a you-know-what.

cloudguy
08-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Wow, I've made my first enemy on the internets. Cool.

Joachim
08-28-2015, 10:05 AM
or he thinks that Strava is a useful application for tracking fitness and PRs on all the major climbs around there, as well as for tracking his weekly/seasonal mileage and total elevation gain. Sure he could write all this info down on paper and make charts and graphs, but Strava does all that for him at no cost. And maybe, that is all he really cares about.

You are joking right?

Bostic
08-28-2015, 10:30 AM
I have my doubts about your wife.

FWIW this is the tandem ride I mentioned and the section is Prospect road from De Anza to Johnson ave. According to my uploads, I've done that section 190 times and the only faster time was a tail wind from hell on a commute home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/193029209/overview

makoti
08-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Wow, I've made my first enemy on the internets. Cool.

Congrats! More to come... ;)

fkelly
08-28-2015, 03:29 PM
For me, Strava is a useful application for tracking fitness and PRs on all the major climbs around here, as well as for tracking my weekly/seasonal mileage and total elevation gain. Sure I could write all this info down on paper and make charts and graphs, but Strava does all that for me at no cost. And let me be clear, that is all I really care about.

The leaderboard feature is more of a curiosity, in that it gives me a sense of where I stack up relative to the rest of the general population, in terms of all the major climbs. Generally, I'm slightly above the median, which is about what I'd expect based on the fast-paced group rides I've been on. I also like the leaderboard feature for letting me marvel at how much better others can climb than me, even though they're not even pros (for the most part).

This, as far as I am concerned too. Except that I use ridewithgps which has better mapping (route creation) features and not as many racer types cluttering the leaderboards. I use it mostly to compare my own times on segments which I have created against times that I have ridden the last 4 or 5 years, as I move through my 60's in age.

Segment comparison, both for yourself and versus others can be enlightening. On the steep climb parts you can see how much faster a younger, lighter and stronger rider can go. But it's also instructive to do comparisons on the flatter and even downhill parts. And interesting to know the power (watts) part. I can sustain something a bit over 200 watts and weigh probably 40 pounds more than Tommie D. No wonder at 355 watts he goes up a steep climb twice as fast as I would.

shovelhd
08-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Strava watts are fiction.

unterhausen
08-28-2015, 06:59 PM
I am going to start a "gofundme" project to hire Contador to destroy every KOM of note around here. That would be awesome.

I have to say that if I had recently gotten busted for doping, I would probably lay low and make my rides private.

Drmojo
08-28-2015, 07:35 PM
top inflammatory topics:

1) politics
2) religion
3) strava

so it seems to me

🙉🙊🙈

pbarry
08-28-2015, 07:49 PM

Truth.

shovelhd
08-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Truth.

Unless there's a lightning bolt next to the rider, then it's close to the truth, but not exactly.

don compton
08-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Bottom line. The guy needed PEDs to compete at a level higher than he was capable. After pleading to a lesser sentence ( nothing ), he found that he couldn't compete straight. Bottom line, his income diminishes if he quits the drugs.

fiamme red
08-28-2015, 10:43 PM
I crushed all the local Strava KOM this morning!! Now I'm going to kick back and enjoy my win!!:beer:My favorite post about Strava: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1271352&postcount=19.

velomonkey
08-28-2015, 10:56 PM
My favorite post about Strava: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1271352&postcount=19.

Oh, gawd, that made my day. Time to go get a moped.

blessthismess
08-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Top Inflammatory Topics:

1) Politics
2) Religion
3) Strava

so it seems to me

3. Rapha

...on second thought, is Rapha religion?

Forgot PED's :beer:

unterhausen
08-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Bottom line. The guy needed PEDs to compete at a level higher than he was capable. After pleading to a lesser sentence ( nothing ), he found that he couldn't compete straight. Bottom line, his income diminishes if he quits the drugs.

there is a 7 year old thread over on bikeforums called, The tom danielson injury watch thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/391825-tom-danielson-injury-watch-thread.html) It's funny that as soon as he seemed to get his act together for a while, he gets popped for doping. All sorts of rumors about this guy, and how he got to that level. Seems like there was truth there

oldpotatoe
08-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Forgot PED's :beer:

helmet use. :beer:

fkelly
08-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by shovelhd

Just asking. Does Strava not post the watts that are recorded in the workout if the rider is using a watt measuring device (Powertap, SRM, Stages, etc)?

velomonkey
08-29-2015, 07:07 AM
Just asking. Does Strava not post the watts that are recorded in the workout if the rider is using a watt measuring device (Powertap, SRM, Stages, etc)?

Correct, they post the wattage that is on the file uploaded to STRAVA. Shovel is talking about the watts STRAVA will post based on their algorithm. They are in no way even remotely close (at least in my case - I have 2 bikes, one with power one without).

shovelhd
08-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Even power meter based Strava watts aren't accurate, at least with my free account. It doesn't correlate with my analysis software. It's close but not the same.

CampyorBust
08-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Tommy D should know better. I wonder if it would be possible to separate the pros (be they dopers or not) from the rest of us mortals on segment leader boards. Have a separate section or something.

Strava is good fun, a great training tool and highly addictive!

Doping is whack be it electronic, motor or drug induced. Speaking for those of us who don't race please allow us our delusions of grandeur, its all we have.

For me Strava is a positive motivator, my riding has risen to a whole new level and I started pitching in by doing some trail maintenance when I can.

Another thing I see often is the "new bike(parts) honeymoon boost" when a person gets a new bike and just feels invincible. Whether its a new wheel size, new frame, deeper rims etc. etc. I find a new bike and parts give me a confidence boost like noting else. I am probably so desperate to justify the absurdly expensive parts I saved my pennies for, that I give it that extra effort resulting in faster times.

Just have fun on Strava and don't take it too seriously, Kudos to the non dopers!