PDA

View Full Version : What kind of evil contraption is this?

Tickdoc
08-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Surfing the eBay abyss a while ago I come across this coolish fixie commuter.

It was looking forlorn, so I bid on it, not so much to join the hipster fixie craze, but because I thought it had a cool frame.

Lo and behold I was the only bidder and now the proud owner of a civia hyland.

It is really a gorgeous bike, even with the barn red color. I figured I could ride it around the neighborhood, maybe even commute on it.

Gots some cool touches, like a nice b17 seat, bamboo fenders, all city pedals with clips, and some other doodads I'm not familiar with, like a sturmey archer 3 speed, and a front disc brake.

Personally, I find the gold bars revolting, along with the white velocity rims and white panaracer tires.

Ok so now for the really fun part....riding it.

How the f*ck :crap:do you ride one of these?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/FF94E6B1-E966-4B6A-80DF-1CF60621FDC6_zpsc7jtkzxy.jpg

Cicli
08-25-2015, 07:24 PM
Hipster.
Anyway. Looks like a fun bike. 3 speed fixed, interesting.

peanutgallery
08-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Stop at a tattoo parlor on your way to get mustache wax and ironic vintage tshirts or PBR. That's only my suggested start

Cool rig

shovelhd
08-25-2015, 07:31 PM
Stop at a tattoo parlor on your way to get mustache wax and ironic vintage tshirts or PBR. That's only my suggested start

Cool rig

A messenger bag for your authentic Mexican burrito.

oldfatslow
08-25-2015, 07:34 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/FF94E6B1-E966-4B6A-80DF-1CF60621FDC6_zpsc7jtkzxy.jpg

Like the boss you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAllen
08-25-2015, 07:58 PM

One pedal stroke at a time. Enjoy!

pbarry
08-25-2015, 08:00 PM
If you can coast, it's not a fixie..

Hank Scorpio
08-25-2015, 08:41 PM
A messenger bag for your authentic Mexican burrito.

I think you mean artisanal Mexican burrito.

ORMojo
08-25-2015, 09:00 PM

With a smile on your face!

Tickdoc
08-25-2015, 09:13 PM
You know that "free as a bird", "I'm flying", " boy this is fun!" Feeling we all get when we ride a bike?

Well I'm not getting it.

It's a slow work....even with three speeds.

I basically have a high and a low...gear no 2 just chatters back at me?

I'll admit it is kinda fun to slow yourself down under your own power, but I don't like being hemmed in to one speed.

Now I know why hipsters bug me so much.

rustychisel
08-25-2015, 09:18 PM
In this case, it is about the bike.

To learn to ride a fixed gear, go back streets or to a park and ride it until you've worked it out. They're meant to be fun and slightly different. You learn to embrace the one gear (if it's the right gear).

That bike: rather more designed to appeal to the casual ebay bidder then stored in the corner of the living room looking smartly hip than to be ridden hard, I suspect. Oh, wait...

bikinchris
08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
You know that "free as a bird", "I'm flying", " boy this is fun!" Feeling we all get when we ride a bike?

Well I'm not getting it.

It's a slow work....even with three speeds.

I basically have a high and a low...gear no 2 just chatters back at me?

I'll admit it is kinda fun to slow yourself down under your own power, but I don't like being hemmed in to one speed.

Now I know why hipsters bug me so much.

Use the cable adjuster to adjust the 2nd gear. Place the shifter into the second position and adjust the cable tension by turning the adjuster until the red line lines up with the indicator.
Then throw away the gold bars and get black rims and tires.
Better yet, get a fixed wheelset and sell those wheels to a hipster.

Tickdoc
08-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Use the cable adjuster to adjust the 2nd gear. Place the shifter into the second position and adjust the cable tension by turning the adjuster until the red line lines up with the indicator.
Then throw away the gold bars and get black rims and tires.
Better yet, get a fixed wheelset and sell those wheels to a hipster.

I played with it a bit, but still not great. Just lets go in the middle.

I was thinking get a dropout conversion and just make it a roadie :-)

I bitch and moan, but i only paid a paltry sum for this thing and could easily part it out. In he meantime, it's one stroke at a time!

mg2ride
08-25-2015, 10:44 PM

Like you stole it!

You should be asking "where" not "how"

jimoots
08-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Is it a fixed 3 speed or a freewheel?

Sturmy Archer do make a fixed 3 speed hub, which I've always thought to be an intriguing proposition.

GScot
08-26-2015, 01:18 AM
First those look like narrow hipster bars. Be gone with them. I have a drop bar fixed and one with a Nitto cow horn bar that drops away from the stem, has a flat section going forward, then up again at the end. The drop bars are OK but not great without brake hoods. (I do have a front brake with a cross lever) I love the cow Horn bars and have numerous 100k or better rides on them, enough hand positions for comfort mashing up steep sections and stretching out.

After bars figure out the gearing situation whether it's just tuning up the shifting, change of ring or sprocket, or even a fixed/free rear wheel. I bet you can make it into a fun ride and then worry about any appearance changes you may want. Good luck and enjoy.