PDA

View Full Version : Do these really work??

johnniecakes
08-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Do these protect the paint? I would think they move back and forth with the cable and wear through the paint just like a bare cable. How do you protect the paint?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697905705&stc=1&d=1440520059

MattTuck
08-25-2015, 11:31 AM
You can get a little piece of clear tape and put it on the frame where there is the potential of cable rub.

chiasticon
08-25-2015, 11:34 AM
I run 'em. they work *pretty* well for the most part but you do need to adjust them from time to time. as you predicted, they like to scoot around or turn inside-out (opening facing the frame). and the weird things is, even though they're made by sram, they actually work better when you use them with shimano housing, since the shimano housing is a bit thicker. they move around a lot less then. I have roughly 8k on a frame that's had them and shimano housing since first build and no paint scratches (in that area).

but yes, despite some annoyances they do their job. being careful with your cable routing and length helps a good bit too.

oldpotatoe
08-25-2015, 11:35 AM
I run 'em. they work *pretty* well for the most part but you do need to adjust them from time to time. as you predicted, they like to scoot around or turn inside-out (opening facing the frame). and the weird things is, even though they're made by sram, they actually work better when you use them with shimano housing, since the shimano housing is a bit thicker. they move around a lot less then. I have roughly 8k on a frame that's had them and shimano housing since first build and no paint scratches (in that area).

but yes, despite some annoyances they do their job. being careful with your cable routing and length helps a good bit too.

Jagwire makes some too and yes they work.

bcroslin
08-25-2015, 11:36 AM
yes, they do work. if you have any LBS mechanic friends they likely have a drawer with a bunch in the in back corner they'll give you for free. that's where I get mine.

azrider
08-25-2015, 11:37 AM
You can get a little piece of clear tape and put it on the frame where there is the potential of cable rub.

To piggyback on this suggestion. I bought some crankskins for my mtb and they "threw in" some frame protection stickers and I've now put them on each of my bikes. Some bikes have odd cable rub dimensions (on one bike I cut a parallelogram shape) and have been happy with results.

Uncle Jam's Army
08-25-2015, 11:45 AM
They pop off way too easily. Go with clear tape.

biker72
08-25-2015, 11:48 AM

+1
I've got clear tape on all my bikes.

PFSLABD
08-25-2015, 12:00 PM
They probably work as well as the tennis balls stuck on CB antennas many years ago, the tennis balls, that wore the paint down to bare steel on my old Plymouth Volare station wagon.

pro12tc
08-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Helicopter tape. You can find it on Amazon, etc.

Look585
08-25-2015, 12:10 PM
They work pretty well. The "fully enclosed" ones are better, but you have to detach your derailleur cables and slip them over. The "split" one are ok but do get discombobulated at times.

LegendRider
08-25-2015, 12:12 PM

My experience too.

warren128
08-25-2015, 12:15 PM
What brand/type of clear tape do you guys use? I assume the adhesive on tape will not damage the paint, is this true?

LegendRider
08-25-2015, 12:29 PM
What brand/type of clear tape do you guys use? I assume the adhesive on tape will not damage the paint, is this true?

http://www.vcgraphix.com/bicycle-accessories/paint-protection/paint-protection-kit-complete-set-for-1-bike.html#.Vdyl8yVVhHw

Steve in SLO
08-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Two budget suggestions:
1) if you're riding Campy, route the cables to the opposite downtube boss and cross the cable under the downtube. By going to the opposite side of the downtube, the cables tend to stand away from the head tube and it is not a problem.
2) Go to your local auto paint/tint/detail shop, and ask for their scrap bits of clear protectant film, which they will probably give you for free. They tend to use 3M Xpel, which works a treat for this as well as for a chainstay guard.

one60
08-25-2015, 02:46 PM
IMHO, those frame protectors are ungainly. While the clear protective film works, many of those dots end up catching dirt as the glue tends to ooze out towards the edges & becomes a magnet for dirt & grease. So you end up with a clear circle surrounded by a black outline on anything but black paint.

I've found rubber O-rings that fit the housing tight enough to stay in place works as well as other options. Just have to remember to install them before you fit the cables.

Llewellyn
08-25-2015, 05:50 PM
I like the Jagwire ones that slip over the cable housings and are shaped like a star.

Tim Porter
08-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Hey, that's my bike! I've never in my life done anything other than use those little clear tape "dots", but I saw these and figured "why not?" Impulse purchase . . . . So far so good, but we'll see if it's worth it. On the Campy housing I haven't noticed them moving around at all.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_4662_zps5ec1da54.jpg

thwart
08-26-2015, 07:57 AM
If you decide to go with something specifically designed for this use (clear film to protect your bike from scratches or chips; easily removed without residue; no 'oozing' of glue), the Crankskin folks are truly great to deal with.

bart998
08-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Not just any clear tape... use "helicopter" tape. It's very thick and protective, and the adhesive is slightly stronger than a post-it note so it won't become fused to the paint or leave gooey residue. http://www.amazon.com/ISC-Helicopter-OG-Surface-Tape-Outdoor/dp/B000O6BQMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440606785&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+helicopter+tape