PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help - Converting video on Mac

William
08-25-2015, 10:03 AM
I finally picked up one of those Sony DVD/VHS recorders and have been transferring family and training video over from tape to DVD. I would like to be able to share some of the video with friends and family on FB or through Youtub or Vimeo. So far I'm not seeing a way to capture content from the DVD into iMovie for sharing. Am I missing something, or do I need to get a program like Handbrake or Popcorn to convert it from DVD to be able to share?

Suggestions most appreciated! :)

William

Saint Vitus
08-25-2015, 11:00 AM
You'll need to rip the content from the DVD to the computer Mac the Ripper always worked for me. Then Handbrake is the best choice to transcode that into a more manageable file size. Handbrake may be able to pull the video content from the DVD as well, I can't recall at this moment, but given that the DVD is not commercial that may be the case ;-)

tuxbailey
08-25-2015, 11:35 AM
^^^^

Seconded on Handbrake.

It can handle almost all formats and export to any format you need.

Very easy. just convert the video into mp4 and you can share it anywhere with any device.

William
08-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Thanks!

Its looking like Handbrake might be the way to go.

As an aside, I noticed that Mac must of made a change in an update so you can't take screen shots of video. I know its likely to discourage unlicensed images of copyrighted content, but it also prevents me from being able to get shots of my own video content. Thanks Mac! :mad:

William

ceolwulf
08-25-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure what video player you're using but VLC has no trouble making screenshots.