PDA

View Full Version : New server is up -- report any problems here

Keith A
08-24-2015, 11:52 AM
The forum has successfully been moved to a new server and appears to be working properly. Please report any problems that you encounter in this discussion. If you do experience some sort of a problem, try refreshing your browser cache to see if this resolves the issue.

BTW, it looks like the last few messages that were posted sometime between 12ish and 12:30 were lost. The forum database was copied before I turned off the forum and so there were a few posts that didn't make it...sorry.

Cicli
08-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Rocket Ship.

Thanks to all who make this happen.

thegunner
08-24-2015, 11:56 AM
:) nope, but thanks for keeping the lights on

2LeftCleats
08-24-2015, 12:00 PM
The process seemed to make the stock market tumble.

Keith A
08-24-2015, 12:01 PM
The process seemed to make the stock market tumble.I knew there would be some adverse side affects of switching over to the new server :rolleyes:

dsimon
08-24-2015, 12:10 PM
So what kinda Probelms......I have to many to list:bike:

dpk501
08-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the hard work!!!

Keith A
08-24-2015, 01:14 PM
It looks like some of the most recent image attachments didn't make it over to the new server and we are working to resolve this issue.

zap
08-24-2015, 01:55 PM
It looks like some of the most recent image attachments didn't make it over to the new server and we are working to resolve this issue.

Was wondering about that. Just started using Firefox today and was wondering if that was the problem.

David Kirk
08-24-2015, 02:04 PM
It's still really smoky here from the wildfires a few hundred miles away in Idaho. Can this kindly be addressed?

Thanks Keith!

dave

Keith A
08-24-2015, 02:16 PM
It's still really smoky here from the wildfires a few hundred miles away in Idaho. Can this kindly be addressed?

Thanks Keith!

daveCan you mount a few of these sideways?

http://www.vigoninternational.com/images/bigassfan2.jpg

David Kirk
08-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Can you mount a few of these sideways?

Now we are getting somewhere!

dave

ANAO
08-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Can you mount a few of these sideways?

That's a Big Ass Fan! (pardon the pun)

David Kirk
08-24-2015, 02:55 PM
That's a Big Ass Fan! (pardon the pun)

http://www.bigassfans.com/

dave

ANAO
08-24-2015, 02:56 PM
http://www.bigassfans.com/

dave

Yeah, that's the pun! :D

Keith A
08-24-2015, 03:05 PM
It looks like some of the most recent image attachments didn't make it over to the new server and we are working to resolve this issue.Looks like we now have all of our image attachment files. So let me know if you guys run into any other technical problems on the forum :)

Matthew
08-24-2015, 03:45 PM
I didn't get a new bike with the new server. Please tell me who to contact. Thanks. Matthew

Keith A
08-24-2015, 04:27 PM
I didn't get a new bike with the new server. Please tell me who to contact. Thanks. MatthewThat would be BBDave...of course the recipient of any new bikes are required to wear a full zebra kit from hence forth and forever :eek:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/catchernrye/jokes/ZebraBikedude.jpg

velotel
08-25-2015, 02:28 AM
Still doesn't seem to like words with an apostrophe, like doesn't as a matter of fact, and I no longer write french words with a letters accented. Only things I've seen. Thanks

gomango
08-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Seems faster this morning.

....or maybe that's the coffee I just brewed. :)

Thank you for doing this. Selling some stuff this weekend and I'll toss a little into the site.

You guys rock.

Keith A
08-25-2015, 06:51 AM
Still doesn't seem to like words with an apostrophe, like doesn't as a matter of fact, and I no longer write french words with a letters accented. Only things I've seen. ThanksYes, I tested this too and need to figure out why this a problem.

Seems faster this morning.

....or maybe that's the coffee I just brewed. :)

Thank you for doing this. Selling some stuff this weekend and I'll toss a little into the site.

You guys rock.It should be faster as we are on new hardware with more computing power and memory. Thanks for your support.

fuzzalow
08-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Still doesn't seem to like words with an apostrophe, like doesn't as a matter of fact, and I no longer write french words with a letters accented. Only things I've seen. Thanks

Yes, this evident with a simple accented word like "decor", when done with the accent grave, of course.

Keith, I'd suggest looking at verifying that the display fonts that were compiled into the application included support for enough of the alphabets encountered to display correctly. Adding some of the Cyrillic and Eastern European font supports should fix the display errors. I have encountered this before when I had left out character sets, because I didn't think I'd need them, in compiling window manager functionality in Gentoo Linux apps. Just a suggestion.

Keith A
08-25-2015, 08:56 AM
fuzzalow -- Thanks for the input. The thing that is odd is that you can enter a special character such as the degree symbol コ and it looks just fine. But when you post this or even preview it, some extra characters get added???

fuzzalow
08-25-2015, 09:22 AM
^ Hey Keith.

I don't wanna send you off on a wild goose chase/bug hunt 'cos I'm not really a computer tech guy. But I'd only guess that the character set support required for alpha accents, symbols and the like has to compiled in/enabled/lib called across all the subsystems. So character set support not just for the display fonts but also in the memory buffers/swap space for temporary viewing & editing. And character set support also in the read/write I/O's to and from the database when the forum app commits to a hard save to disk. I don't know the forum software or architecture but the troubleshooting just needs to trace the entire path, as I'm sure you know.

I'll shut up now because I'm really talkin' outta my league on this stuff. But I've been a Gentoo Linux user for many years now. And there is stuff that breaks using that that I would never have any interest knowing about except that it somehow got broken and had to be fixed!

fuzzalow
08-25-2015, 10:15 AM
I forgot to mention in the above post, if there is character set mismatches or undefined support it can reside either at the app level or at the system level. Because if you're having junk characters show up in pure memory operations, that might also involve lower level functionality at the system level.

Which means that on a Unix/Linux OS character set support is enabled also at the kernel so you will have to enable the expanded feature set and recompile the kernel.

I know nothing about Windows so I don't even know if what I been talking about here even applies.

Again, take what I say with a pinch of salt 'cos I know nothing about this forums tech environment. I know, I'm just tryin' to help when I shoulda just sent cash! (kidding :))

PFSLABD
08-25-2015, 11:48 AM
No problems with the server, but I was just wondering why it takes so long to be approved before one can post? It's usually a no-brainer on the political forums I frequent.

PFSLABD
08-25-2015, 11:49 AM
That would be BBDave...of course the recipient of any new bikes are required to wear a full zebra kit from hence forth and forever :eek:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/catchernrye/jokes/ZebraBikedude.jpg

So they allow convicts to cycle on race teams, now?:p

Keith A
08-25-2015, 11:59 AM
No problems with the server, but I was just wondering why it takes so long to be approved before one can post? It's usually a no-brainer on the political forums I frequent.I assume you are talking about posting in the classifieds? If so, please read the rules for this section which are found here...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=153038

PFSLABD
08-25-2015, 12:06 PM
I assume you are talking about posting in the classifieds? If so, please read the rules for this section which are found here...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=153038

Who reads rules? They are all the same. Be kind to your fellow posters and don't insult them. I didn't try to post in the classified section. I just tried to get into a normal discussion about bikes and riding in general. Nope, no dice. It took 2 days to get the Heinz 57 approval. I assume that the administrator was busy riding and hadn't checked the site for any new folks. That's okay. You're forgiven. At least I was okayed, unlike one site that never okayed me. It was a site where people discussed the solution of unsolved criminal cases. I guess I didn't have the right credentials.

Keith A
08-25-2015, 12:18 PM
PFSLABD -- I'm the one that does the human approvals and was busy with my daughter's wedding this past weekend. So you are correct, that account requests accumulated for a couple days while I had other things going on that kept me busy.

rkhatibi
08-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Glad to see the server moved over. Looking good.

In regards to the character problem, my guess is Mysql database default character set. The original server was old enough that it was using latin1. Today utf8 is fairly common or even utf8mb4 if you want to support emoji. My guess is that if you look at the tables in Mysql you'll see that the character set is latin1. However if you look at the my.cnf, Mysql config file, it'll look something like this.

[mysqld]
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_general_ci

Text will look fine when you type it, however on the way in Mysql is storing utf8 as latin1. When it comes time to display, it's sending latin1 encoding which then looks incorrect as utf8. This is a fairly common problem in migrations of forums, websites, etc particularly from a much older install to a newer one.

I'd talk to your host provider, they should know how to solve it for you.

couple of links:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/charset-applications.html
https://www.percona.com/blog/2013/10/16/utf8-data-on-latin1-tables-converting-to-utf8-without-downtime-or-double-encoding/
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-3-8/vbulletin-3-8-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/367844-convert-database-from-latin1-to-utf8

Keith A
08-25-2015, 12:43 PM
rkhatibi -- Great information...thanks for taking the time to post this. I'll get with our host company and see if they can resolve this.

hwtestuser
08-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Décor - definition of décor by The Free Dictionary

hwtestuser
08-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Décor

Décor

thegunner
08-25-2015, 02:51 PM
D馗or - definition of d馗or by The Free Dictionary

look at this guy, trying to pad his post count to get to the classifieds /s :p

ANAO
08-25-2015, 02:53 PM
look at this guy, trying to pad his post count to get to the classifieds /s :p

No. I think he's a test user.

paredown
08-25-2015, 04:56 PM

Is that like a crash test dummy?

FWIW, the new install seems really crisp to me. Congrats on a successful migration!!

Keith A
08-25-2015, 07:41 PM
No. I think he's a test user.Yep, I had the guys who host our site trying to see if they can resolve the problem with the special characters. But it looks like it isn't working yet...
コ

PFSLABD
08-25-2015, 11:13 PM
I have a couple of suggestions for this site. How about setting up VB to alert members if their post has been replied to, or someone has replied to the thread?

Also, I notice the lack of the ability to thank a poster. I have seen some thankable posts on this forum, and other than giving them a thumbsup smiley, it can't be done.

Keith A
08-26-2015, 11:23 AM
I have a couple of suggestions for this site. How about setting up VB to alert members if their post has been replied to, or someone has replied to the thread?

Also, I notice the lack of the ability to thank a poster. I have seen some thankable posts on this forum, and other than giving them a thumbsup smiley, it can't be done.To address your first item, this is already available. You can either set you default setting to notify as requested or you can subscribe to a discussion.

To set the default, click on the "User CP" in the upper left of the forum window and then select "Edit Options" underneath "Settings & Options". You would then change your "Default Thread Subscription Mode".

To get updates for a discussion that you are interested in, click on "Thread Tools" and then select "Subscribe to this Thread". See the images below.

As for your second recommendation, I agree with your suggestion and we are looking at upgrading the forum software in the near future and would like to implement the "like" feature once we do the upgrade.

slidey
08-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Firstly, thanks for seeing this through, Keith.

I've observed a deviation in behaviour, as of this morning, but I don't consider it a problem - I'd actually call it a (security) feature.

There is no view of the forums (General Discussion/Classifieds, etc), on the index.php page without logging in. Is this the new expected behaviour?

Well, the above doesn't hold true anymore - must have been a one-off.

Keith A
08-27-2015, 01:03 PM
slidey -- Our host company is trying to resolve the problem with the special characters not being handled correctly and they obviously did something wrong. It would have been nice to know they were mucking around with the database before they caused the lights to go out :crap:

thegunner
08-27-2015, 01:11 PM

man the /s really means nothing :(

93legendti
08-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Keith, thanks for fixing my issue so quickly!

slidey
08-27-2015, 01:18 PM
slidey -- Our host company is trying to resolve the problem with the special characters not being handled correctly and they obviously did something wrong. It would have been nice to know they were mucking around with the database before they caused the lights to go out :crap:

Noted! Thanks for the prompt response again, Keith. In any case, it wasn't a biggie at all.

ANAO
08-27-2015, 01:38 PM
man the /s really means nothing :(

sarcastic nic is serious?!

Lewis Moon
08-27-2015, 02:01 PM
What the hell just happened and how much did we lose? I composed and posted a message twice and neither post is in the forum.

Keith A
08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
What the hell just happened and how much did we lose? I composed and posted a message twice and neither post is in the forum.Our hosting company managed to screw up again. I had them turn off our old server and somehow they mucked something up and the old server came back online and kept us from being able to access the new server. Hopefully they are done messing things up for the day.
:crap:

Lewis Moon
08-27-2015, 03:23 PM
The link I use to get to the main page http://forums.thepaceline.net/ only sends back a message of "It Works!"...obviously it does not.

thwart
08-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Our hosting company managed to screw up again. I had them turn off our old server and somehow they mucked something up and the old server came back online and kept us from being able to access the new server. Hopefully they are done messing things up for the day.
:crap:
Hang in there buddy, we appreciate all that you do.

titans
08-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Anyone else noticed that sometimes you have to hit the link twice before page comes up on IPhone? Not so before. Not sure if it's new server or my iOS update. Can't remember which came first.

Keith A
08-27-2015, 05:32 PM
The link I use to get to the main page http://forums.thepaceline.net/ only sends back a message of "It Works!"...obviously it does not.Just hit refresh or clear your browser data and this should resolve this problem.

Anyone else noticed that sometimes you have to hit the link twice before page comes up on IPhone? Not so before. Not sure if it's new server or my iOS update. Can't remember which came first.I'll check this later on my iPhone.

phcollard
09-16-2015, 01:59 PM
I believe I mentioned it before but the forums have a problem with accented characters / encoding.

Here is a PM that I received from another French speaking member :

Oui je parle fran軋is, je suis en Suisse romande. J'ai v馗u 18 mois Montr饌l (St Vallier).

And this is the notification email that I received :

Oui je parle fran軋is, je suis en Suisse romande. J'ai v馗u 18 mois Montr饌l (St Vallier).

Thanks Keith :)

Keith A
09-16-2015, 02:01 PM
phcollard -- The hosting company's tech department is supposedly still working on this. I just called our sales rep yesterday about this issue and he is checking to see what is going on.

Sorry for the delay, but it's out of my hands at the moment.

phcollard
09-16-2015, 02:06 PM
phcollard -- The hosting company's tech department is supposedly still working on this. I just called our sales rep yesterday about this issue and he is checking to see what is going on.

Sorry for the delay, but it's out of my hands at the moment.

Thanks Keith. Sorry I reported this here (again?). I did not know you were already working on this ticket.

Keith A
09-16-2015, 02:07 PM
phcollard -- No problem...I hope this is resolved soon.

hwtestuser
09-23-2015, 02:41 PM
D駸ol? le zé«re,l'馗ureuil

oldpotatoe
09-23-2015, 04:09 PM
D駸ol? le zé«re,l'馗ureuil

Commie:eek:

dustyrider
09-23-2015, 04:58 PM
D駸ol? le zé«re,l'馗ureuil

This is a recent development.