PDA

View Full Version : So I almost hit a cyclist with my car today

dpk501
08-23-2015, 09:10 PM
The guy took a wide right apexed turn at full speed at a four way stop. I was travelling in the direction he was turning. Then he banged on my car hood.

Caught up to him at light and had a lot of words. I can see why drivers get angry at cyclists.

weisan
08-23-2015, 09:28 PM
I honked at an incoming car who decided to speed up and overtake three cyclists the same time as I passed them in the opposite road, giving the cyclists little to no room.

Elefantino
08-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Driving in Berkeley it happens all the time. At a four-way stop, no one on two wheels does. Blowing through stop signs to turn right is an epidemic. I dread driving to work during the week.

jimoots
08-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I can see why people get angry at other people.

Corrections noted in bold

fogrider
08-23-2015, 09:39 PM
The guy took a wide right apexed turn at full speed at a four way stop. I was travelling in the direction he was turning. Then he banged on my car hood.

Caught up to him at light and had a lot of words. I can see why drivers get angry at cyclists.

so did you almost hit him, or did he almost hit you? guys that this give cyclist a bad name...and it just takes a few. and when young impressible cyclist see them blow through stop signs and stop lights without repercussions, they think, why should I stop?

MattTuck
08-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Yay! Idaho stops.

Louis
08-23-2015, 09:49 PM
As they say, somewhere out there on the Interwebs on a bike forum a cyclist is posting how some crazy driver almost killed him as he was making a right-hand turn...

R3awak3n
08-23-2015, 09:56 PM
As they say, somewhere out there on the Interwebs on a bike forum a cyclist is posting how some crazy driver almost killed him as he was making a right-hand turn...

And then chased after him / her to have some words :D

makoti
08-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Like this?
http://wtop.com/anne-arundel-county/2015/08/police-angry-md-motorist-beats-cyclist-throws-bike-tire-into-woods/

dpk501
08-23-2015, 10:24 PM
I guess he almost hit me...thank goodness i veered
so did you almost hit him, or did he almost hit you? guys that this give cyclist a bad name...and it just takes a few. and when young impressible cyclist see them blow through stop signs and stop lights without repercussions, they think, why should I stop?

dpk501
08-23-2015, 10:26 PM
No chasing, just caught up at the stoplight at a major intersection.

velomonkey
08-23-2015, 10:30 PM

Serious question - if you were traveling in the direction he was turning that means: he took the turn, you then proceeded through the stop sign and you over took him or were equal to him and THEN he banged on your hood, then he over took you and then you caught him at the light and had words?

Seems you two were destined for each other.

:help:

etu
08-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Feel your pain.
There's one in every crowd.
It's hard not to get angry thinking how it affects the rest of us.

Last week my son started school in the Mission District and I had to drive across town several times along routes with heavy bike traffic. Happy to report that the vast majority of bike commuters were safe and considerate - coming to full stops when appropriate and rolling through when not necessary.

velomonkey
08-23-2015, 10:32 PM
I guess he almost hit me...thank goodness i veered

Wait, what . . . you "veered" and you were going the same direction?? I'm confused, you veered and you were going the other way in the other lane since he took a right, no?

If so, you turned around and chased him down, then hood incident and then word incident . . . . . you two were totally meant for each other.

etu
08-23-2015, 11:47 PM
Wait, what . . . you "veered" and you were going the same direction?? I'm confused, you veered and you were going the other way in the other lane since he took a right, no?

If so, you turned around and chased him down, then hood incident and then word incident . . . . . you two were totally meant for each other.

Not sure what's so hard to figure out?:confused:
Picture yourself in a car going straight through a stop sign. Out of nowhere, a cyclist comes careening over from the right, banging your hood as if you cut him off. You halt to a stop dumbfounded and then pissed. You then keep going and catch up to him when he is stopped at red light which he can't run through because there are cars whizzing by and even he's not stupid.
Granted the exact perception of timing and therefore "right of way" may be open to some interpretion...

rustychisel
08-24-2015, 12:27 AM
Lots of jumping to conclusion and assigning fault here.... why?

A minor thing, would have been more likelihood of a bad outcome if he'd been in a car, but then that would make it unremarkable, no?

Some people are dicks, some are not. Some make bad calls (like time to brake, time to make a turn). I have, so I assume everyone else on this forum has too.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2015, 06:37 AM
Yay! Idaho stops.

No kidding..it needs to stay in Idaho. The other day, I slowed at a 4 way stop, then proceeded, as it was my turn, and almost got t boned buy a couple on bikes, yakking away..no stop, or slow down, or Idaho yield or anything appearing to be 'cycling sense'..

oldpotatoe
08-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Lots of jumping to conclusion and assigning fault here.... why?

A minor thing, would have been more likelihood of a bad outcome if he'd been in a car, but then that would make it unremarkable, no?

Some people are dicks, some are not. Some make bad calls (like time to brake, time to make a turn). I have, so I assume everyone else on this forum has too.

But the difference is that, at least around here, cyclists are under the microscope, are lobbying for, asking for more access and safety, because of higher numbers..to be able to safely co-travel with cars. It makes no sense to blow thru a 4 way stop, on a bike, at high relative speed, around a bunch of cars who 'expect' the guy to slow down, then proceed..it just pisses 'voters' off.

Ya know, those people who 'vote' for better services and road changes advantageous to cyclists?? Why 'strava' a 4 way stop? dum.

velomonkey
08-24-2015, 06:46 AM
Not sure what's so hard to figure out?:confused:
Let me help you out here. Picture yourself in a car going straight through a stop sign. Out of nowhere, a cyclist comes careening over from the right, banging your hood as if you cut him off. You halt to a stop dumbfounded and then pissed. You then keep going and catch up to him when he is stopped at red light which he can't run through because there are cars whizzing by and even he's not stupid.
Granted the exact perception of timing and therefore "right of way" may be open to some interpretion...

No need to get snarky with the comment on my riding buddies, when we ride together you can make a judgment call - until then - keep it civil.

Also, you're not the OP - so unless you were there there is no need for you to paint a picture.

Now back to the situation - so, OP, (i.e., OP only) were you already going through the 4 way stop in the middle of the intersection when johnny-bike-rider came screaming through?

So you saw him out of your right - you veered - he hit hood - you catch up - words?

If so, the monumental missing variable is that you were midway through the 4 way stop intersection when this guy decided to blaze through. Operator error. Yea, he's not being cool - no issue with Idaho stop, cause he didn't obey it.

Newsflash - lots of people act like jerks, some of them ride bikes. It's jerks, not bikers.

velomonkey
08-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Why 'strava' a 4 way stop? dum.

Totally agree there. Lots of issues with starva that could be corrected with software - for example - no segments can be created within 50 yards of an intersection - heck, they don't even make a distinction between group rides and individual rides.

etu
08-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Agreed. No need to get snarky. Post edited.

dpk501
08-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks Etu for the support.

So Velomonkey to clear up I was already cleared the intersection and my front of the car was at the opposite stop sign line when the rider came turning through so I had to veer otherwise he would have been splayed on my car but since he arced out so bad he was close to my car anyways. Then he hit my hood.

It was no Idaho stop, just "LET'S TREAT THIS CORNER LIKE A CRIT CORNER"

Like old spud said, it was "strava"ing a corner

Once he got back in his bike lane I was going slow (15 ish MPH) but the next major intersection was a mere two blocks away so inevitably I caught up to him.

So I definitely don't think it "Seems you two were destined for each other."

No need to get snarky with the comment on my riding buddies, when we ride together you can make a judgment call - until then - keep it civil.

Also, you're not the OP - so unless you were there there is no need for you to paint a picture.

Now back to the situation - so, OP, (i.e., OP only) were you already going through the 4 way stop in the middle of the intersection when johnny-bike-rider came screaming through?

So you saw him out of your right - you veered - he hit hood - you catch up - words?

If so, the monumental missing variable is that you were midway through the 4 way stop intersection when this guy decided to blaze through. Operator error. Yea, he's not being cool - no issue with Idaho stop, cause he didn't obey it.

Newsflash - lots of people act like jerks, some of them ride bikes. It's jerks, not bikers.

tuxbailey
08-24-2015, 12:23 PM

So Velomonkey to clear up I was already cleared the intersection and my front of the car was at the opposite stop sign line when the rider came turning through so I had to veer otherwise he would have been splayed on my car but since he arced out so bad he was close to my car anyways. Then he hit my hood.

Once he got back in his bike lane I was going slow (15 ish MPH) but the next major intersection was a mere two blocks away so inevitably I caught up to him.

Was he sorry?

dpk501
08-24-2015, 12:24 PM
As for the words, lots of expletives from his part as I'm trying to explain how he's mucking it up for all us other cyclists and how dangerous it was for him and stuff like this doesn't help our cause.

dpk501
08-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Was he sorry?

No remorse. His final words were "f you you audi driving douchebag" before giving me the finger as he pedaled off.

JAllen
08-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Had that the other day while riding. This young lady just came screaming through a 4 way while I was already riding through it. Luckily I was able quickly grab the brakes and put a little extra space between us. I didn't say anything besides a startled mutter of a curse word or two and I'm not sure she even saw me.

It is shocking how clueless people are about their situational awareness in a lot of things they do.

JAllen
08-24-2015, 12:27 PM
No remorse. His final words were "f you you audi driving douchebag" before giving me the finger as he pedaled off.
Poetic.

dpk501
08-24-2015, 12:32 PM
At least he didn't tell me to go back to Lake Oswego! i would have been offended at that.

Poetic.

dpk501
08-24-2015, 12:33 PM
If Portland was only as safe as Copenhagen. There are many oblivious riders here. Glad you're safe.
Had that the other day while riding. This young lady just came screaming through a 4 way while I was already riding through it. Luckily I was able quickly grab the brakes and put a little extra space between us. I didn't say anything besides a startled mutter of a curse word or two and I'm not sure she even saw me.

It is shocking how clueless people are about their situational awareness in a lot of things they do.

Bob Ross
08-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Poetic.

It would have been better poetry if he'd skipped the redundant "you"

velomonkey
08-24-2015, 01:05 PM

So Velomonkey to clear up

No support or lack of - just trying to get clarification and some major points were left out. You were destined for each other - him to be laid across your hood, though!!!!!

Yea, if he is doing that, he's putting himself in danger and gives fodder to those that loathe cyclist (let's be clear, I see a lot more fodder every day to hate drivers, but I'm not 8, so I know it's jerks - not drivers per se).

I can't believe he insulted the brand of your car. I don't know what he was riding, but you should have been like

"May you forever be receiving flats and broken chains you vanilla-riding, bent seat stay, SRAM loving, wouldn't know a good groupset if it gave you an enema, hipster wanna be. Go work on your stash!!!!"

dpk501
08-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Hahaha! SRAM....
No support or lack of - just trying to get clarification and some major points were left out. You were destined for each other - him to be laid across your hood, though!!!!!

Yea, if he is doing that, he's putting himself in danger and gives fodder to those that loathe cyclist (let's be clear, I see a lot more fodder every day to hate drivers, but I'm not 8, so I know it's jerks - not drivers per se).

I can't believe he insulted the brand of your car. I don't know what he was riding, but you should have been like

"May you forever be receiving flats and broken chains you vanilla-riding, bent seat stay, SRAM loving, wouldn't know a good groupset if it gave you an enema, hipster wanna be. Go work on your stash!!!!"

Kirk007
08-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Undoubtably unpolitic and not wishing any harm on anyone, but even cyclists are subject to Darwin's law. The lack of situational awareness in the general population these days is unbelievable. So many basic safety skills - look both ways before crossing a street or MUP; stop at stop signs; keep your wandering toddler close when crossing the street or a busy path ... on and on it goes. It does seem to annoy me a wee bit more though when its someone on a bike being oblivious to their surroundings or simply choosing to be a self absorbed douchebag.

ANAO
08-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Poetic.

LOL well put.

Waldo
08-24-2015, 02:14 PM
In March 2014, upon completing a blind right turn at a speed well within the posted limit, I hit a car that was double-parked immediately after the turn. Yes, sometimes we hit cars and it's still cars' fault.

One broken wrist later, the settlement paid for my daughter's bat mitzvah. Silver linings...

JAllen
08-24-2015, 06:47 PM
At least he didn't tell me to go back to Lake Oswego! i would have been offended at that.

Come on. No one is that heartless ;)

You might get "Go back to California!" shouted though.

carpediemracing
08-24-2015, 08:22 PM
I almost got t-boned by two cyclists running a red light. And I was on a bike.

Stupid is as stupid does.

For everyone that says "yeah, it's okay to not stop at stop signs" this is what drivers think about. It's not okay to not stop at stop signs, car or bike. It makes things pretty clear once everyone agrees that's the case.

If it's okay to run stops then it's always going to be possible that it's okay to run a particular stop sign. Until it's not.

I wish the OP had a dash cam. I'd have posted that stuff on YouTube as soon as I could. Arrogant cyclists breaking rules like that give all of us a bad name. I live in a "cycling friendly town" as defined by someone (League of Amrican Wheelmen?) but the attitude of some of the drivers here is such that I have not trained outdoors in town in 2015. All my local rides have been indoors (one ride I left town to ride across the state, others have been in other towns). The attitude is there because of the incredible arrogance of some of the riders in the area.

mosca
08-24-2015, 08:36 PM
In March 2014, upon completing a blind right turn at a speed well within the posted limit, I hit a car that was double-parked immediately after the turn. Yes, sometimes we hit cars and it's still cars' fault.

One broken wrist later, the settlement paid for my daughter's bat mitzvah. Silver linings...

So you hit a stationary object and somehow managed to get a legal settlement in your favor? Not sure how that works, but good for you. I guess.

Louis
08-24-2015, 08:42 PM
So you hit a stationary object and somehow managed to get a legal settlement in your favor?

Um, blind right turn with double-parked car after turn doesn't seem to me to be the cyclist's fault. (Despite the "always be in control of your vehicle" thing, which in some circumstances is meaningless.)

mosca
08-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Um, blind right turn with double-parked car after turn doesn't seem to me to be the cyclist's fault. (Despite the "always be in control of your vehicle" thing, which in some circumstances is meaningless.)

"Never outrun your visibility" is the rule, although I've never heard it discussed outside of motorcycling circles. Equally relevant to any type of vehicle, but if you are on two wheels you are much more likely to suffer the consequences.

Waldo
08-24-2015, 09:45 PM
The woman stopped in the middle of a one-lane road just past an intersection. There was nowhere to go after I made the turn except to hit her. (Did you see the part where I said I made the turn at speed below the posted limit?). Then she lied to her insurance company and said that she pulled over.

mosca
08-24-2015, 09:58 PM
The woman stopped in the middle of a one-lane road just past an intersection. There was nowhere to go after I made the turn except to hit her. (Did you see the part where I said I made the turn at speed below the posted limit?). Then she lied to her insurance company and said that she pulled over.

The posted speed limit is irrelevant if you can't see the road ahead. I'm sorry but I just can't imagine a scenario where I would be unable to avoid a parked car, regardless of its location.

Louis
08-24-2015, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry but I just can't imagine a scenario where I would be unable to avoid a parked car, regardless of its location.

Just yesterday on my ride home I took a right-hand off-camber turn on a wet downhill. Had there been a car parked right after the turn (which would have been insane on the driver's part, because cars would also have hit him/her) I would surely have hit it, even though I had slowed way down due to the wet road.

mosca
08-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Just yesterday on my ride home I took a right-hand off-camber turn on a wet downhill. Had there been a car parked right after the turn (which would have been insane on the driver's part, because cars would also have hit him/her) I would surely have hit it, even though I had slowed way down due to the wet road.

So even though you "slowed way down", you were still riding too fast for the conditions? I mean, if you decide to take a risk that's your choice, but it's on you if you can't stop in time.

Elefantino
08-24-2015, 10:35 PM
When I see cyclists bomb though stop signs or red lights or, worse, riding while holding up their iPhones so they can Facetime (I kid you not; I've seen it in Berkoakleyland) it angers the cow dung out of me because I do not want to be the recipient of the anger they generate in others.

Actually, I would like to be the generator of that anger. With a well-place Silca pump.

There, I said it.

Louis
08-24-2015, 10:37 PM
So even though you "slowed way down", you were still riding too fast for the conditions? I mean, if you decide to take a risk that's your choice, but it's on you if you can't stop in time.

So you're driving down a street with cars parked on both sides. A little kid you did not see runs out from between two cars right in front of you. Is it your fault that you're unable to react in time to prevent an impact? Were you supposed to drive at 1 mph to make that less likely?

Fivethumbs
08-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Maybe he lives in a comparative negligence jurisdiction? Cyclist 50% at fault and car 50% at fault. Example: Cyclist's injuries = $5000 so car owner pays $2500. Car damage = $1000 so cyclist pays $500.

sitzmark
08-24-2015, 10:56 PM
Not sure I understand the exact scenario, but I wonder how it would play if a cyclist falls just around a blind corner and is picking himself up off the pavement when a car rounds the corner at speed (but below speed limit) and runs him over? Does the driver get a settlement based on precedent?

So you're driving down a street with cars parked on both sides. A little kid you did not see runs out from between two cars right in front of you. Is it your fault that you're unable to react in time to prevent an impact? Were you supposed to drive at 1 mph to make that less likely?

mosca
08-24-2015, 10:58 PM

I was referring to a stationary object, not a moving one. I think you should always be able to avoid colliding with a stationary object.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why a vehicle might be stopped in a traffic lane and any operator of any kind of vehicle should be able to react to that.

Louis
08-24-2015, 11:04 PM
There are plenty of legitimate reasons why a vehicle might be stopped in a traffic lane and any operator of any kind of vehicle should be able to react to that.

I agree with the first part of this, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the second. I've hit too many potholes and at least one 2x4 in the road that I did not see until the last second. Same thing with roads with lots of leaves in the fall.

mosca
08-24-2015, 11:27 PM
I agree with the first part of this, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the second. I've hit too many potholes and at least one 2x4 in the road that I did not see until the last second. Same thing with roads with lots of leaves in the fall.

Agreed re the visibility issue but we were talking about a friggin car here. I mean, it's as big as a car, hard not to see that.

velomonkey
08-24-2015, 11:57 PM
The posted speed limit is irrelevant if you can't see the road ahead. I'm sorry but I just can't imagine a scenario where I would be unable to avoid a parked car, regardless of its location.

That's a photo of Davis Phinney right after he nailed the back of a stopped car. Just last week in a regional TT championship a rider, who I know to be totally safe, nailed the back of a car that was pulled over and he died.

At 25mph on a bike you are going 36 feet per second at 20mph it's 29 feet per second . . . you picking up what I'm laying down?

There are 2 types of riders - those that know, regardless of speed, you can totally nail a stationary object and those that will soon know.

Elefantino
08-25-2015, 05:00 AM
I'm sorry but I just can't imagine a scenario where I would be unable to avoid a parked car, regardless of its location.
Um, that's what I thought...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/Passat_zps5cabb16c.jpg

Tom
08-25-2015, 06:52 AM
The other day I had a driver give the finger out the sunroof to the truck pulling a trailer that overtook and passed me on a local not over wide road popular with cyclists. Likely because the truck driver floored it about fifty yards back to pass me towing the trailer full of landscaper stuff timing it to happen when we'd be three wide with the oncoming car if they didn't brake and go way right and the driver oncoming could see the trailer was significantly wider than the truck towing it.

The irony was that it happened right next to David Ryan's ghost bike.

unterhausen
08-25-2015, 08:53 AM
all I have to say is that it's asinine for motorists to lump us all together, and to have cyclists do it too is just ridiculous. And the scenario in the OP is definitely not an Idaho stop, has nothing to do with the Idaho stop, and I think that if the Idaho stop was legalized then people would be less likely to blow stop signs at speed when there is traffic.

I never did understand the cyclists behaving badly that get all agro when they almost suffer the obvious consequences of their actions. Just as an example, I was stopped at a stop sign on my bike in the dark, and the car stopped opposite to me started to move. All of a sudden, an unlit cyclist starts screaming obscenities at them and then I saw him as he passed through the headlights of the vehicle. I was lucky I hadn't hit him. I suppose the obscenities saved him from t-boning the vehicle, but still.

SeanScott
08-25-2015, 09:09 AM
I came up to a 4 ways stop and slowed to almost a track stand. The truck at the other end of the stop was driven by a local bike shop owner and acquaintance of mine. He had no turn signal on so I decided to go.
He ended up turning and then braking to avoid hitting me. He also yelled something about me not stoping at a stop sign.
In some respects I feel that I was in the wrong but also he should have just let me go being a fellow cyclist.
I can say that I make mistakes on the bike that I am not proud of. Most of them stem from trying to avoid stops.